Part 26

All around you, people were turning to dust, and you looked at your hands, wishing that they would start to disappear too. You put your head in your hands when you realized nothing was going to happen.

Loki was gone. You had failed.

You looked up when you felt a hand on your shoulder and saw Natasha. "Y/n..."

"Don't. Don't," you sobbed. "Don't tell me everything is going to be okay. It's not. It's-" your voice cracked before you could continue, and the downpour of tears started again.

"I wasn't," she assured you. "I know it's not. But we need to regroup and figure out who's left." You could tell the years of red-room had trained her for this, helping her focus on the task at hand and not let her emotions overwhelm her—which is what was happening to you.

You wiped your tears and stood up, trying to be strong, and not showing how hopeless and broken you felt. "You're right."

You and Natasha searched around Wakanda for the remaining people. It seemed that out of the Avengers, only the original remained, although no one heard from Tony up in space which was worrying. Groot has dusted, leaving Rocket alone, and T'challa dusted as well. You weren't sure who else was gone besides that, as you stopped paying attention when you realized that you just lost so many people.

You were trying to handle it as best as you could, but you were doing a very horrible job.

*

You all gathered in the avengers compound, looking at the list of dusted people. So many people gone.

Steve brought in an old communication device, and set it on the table. "Fury said to use this if we were in dire need of help."

"I think this classifies as a "dire need of help" case," you scoffed.

"But we have no idea who or what this will contact," Steve protested.

"Because things can get worse than they are?" You asked sarcastically.

"She's right. Just active it," Natasha said.

Steve pressed a button on the side, and the screen lit up with a star on it.

For the next couple of hours, nothing happened. At first, they thought they did something wrong, or maybe it didn't work anymore.

But soon enough, they heard the sound of a jet land outside and everyone hurried out. There was a lady with blond hair surrounded in energy, and Tony who came stumbling out of the jet with a blue-robot-looking-lady.

"Tony!" Pepper gasped as she ran to support him.

They all gathered back in the building, and the lady introduced herself as Carol Danvers, or Captain Marvel, and the blue robot lady was Nebula.

"We're going to work on a way to get them back, right?" You asked.

"Y/n, Thanos snapped. We lost," Tony sighed.

"No! We can't have. It's not over. We're the Avengers, we're supposed to avenge! We- we need to..." you broke down, falling down as tears poured down your face. "He can't be gone.."

"Rocket is working on tracking Thanos and getting him to bring everyone back," Natasha assured you as she bent down next to you.

"I'm going to kill that son of a bitch when we find him," you threatened.

"I thought you were mad at Loki," Thor pointed out.

"I was! That changed." Y/n held up her hand with a ring on it and everyone gasped.

"That's from Loki?" Thor stood up slowly.

You nodded sadly as you dropped your hand, but Thor was incredibly happy and hugged you. "You're going to be my sister-in-law."

"If we can get Loki back," you muttered as he let go of you.

"When we get him back," Thor corrected with a grin.

"You didn't tell me?" Natasha exclaimed.

"Sorry, kind of forgot while we were fighting aliens for our life," you sighed.

"Fair point, but still, kiddo, I'm very offended," Tony joked.

Rocket ruined the moment as he ran into the room. "Guys. I think I found Thanos."

———

Everyone ran into the small hut that housed Thanos, and Thor aimed his ax at him, but Thanos didn't react.

"I don't have what you want," Thanos said calmly.

"What did you do with the stones?" You asked, magic forming in your hands.

"Destroyed them."

"That's impossible," Rocket growled.

"I used the power of the stones to make them destroy themselves," Thanos grinned evilly.

"No no no!" Thor used his ax and cut Thanos's head clean off and it rolled to the floor.

Rocket gagged and you fell on your knees to the ground. It was now really over. That was your last chance to save him. The stones were gone, and with them, the love of your life—your soulmate.

As you thought that, your soulmate mark you shared with Jake faded away leaving only Loki's mark.

You hit the ground with your fist. What was the point of loving someone just to loose them before building a life together?

Tony put his hand on your shoulder. "We'll figure something out, kiddo. It's not over."

"Yes it is," you gritted your teeth as you stood up and wiped away your tears. "You know just as well as I do that that was our only hope. The stones are gone."

"He could be lying!" Tony protested.

"He wasn't."

Everyone looked sadly at each other as the despair slowly crept in.

The Avengers had lost.