Part 29

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony asked.

"Yeah. Us," Steve said sadly.

"What?" Thor asked, confused.

"I just asked him a question–" Tony tried to talk.

"Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right?" Thor growled. "So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together."

"We can't get her back, Thor," you said softly.

"Wha– what?" Thor still didn't understand.

"It can't be undone. It can't," Clint said as he held back tears.

"I'm sorry. No offense, but you're a very earthly being. Okay? We're talking about space magic. And "can't" seems very definitive don't you think?" Thor continued in his denial.

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?" Clint responded harshly.

"No, that's my point–"

"It can't– be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? GO GRAB YOUR HAMMER, AND YOU GO FLY AND TALK TO HIM!" Clint's anger quickly turned into sadness once more. "It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that goddamn stone. She bet her life on it."

In his anger, Bruce grabbed a bench and hurled it clear across the lake.

"She's not coming back. We have to make it worth it. We have to. For her," you said.

"We will," Steve agreed.

Everyone gathered back in the room a few minutes later looking at the new gauntlet. The infinity stones sat in their respective places.

"All right. The glove's ready. Question is, who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?" Rocket said.

"I'll do it," Thor immediately volunteered.

"Excuse me?" Scott muttered. Thor got a few weird looks, and you knew everyone was thinking the same thing: that Thor just wasn't strong enough for this.

"It's okay," Thor insisted.

"Wait, wait, Thor, just wait. We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet," Steve said as Thor reached for the gauntlet.

"I'm sorry. What, we're just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?" Thor growled.

"We should at least discuss it," Scott said.

"No, no, sitting here staring at that thing is not gonna bring everybody back. I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So this responsibility falls upon me. It's my duty."

"It's not about that–" Tony tried to speak.

"It's not that– Stop it! Just let me!" Thor started to tear up. "Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something right."

"Look– It's not just the fact that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent, I'm telling you, you're in no condition," Tony said.

"What do you– What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?"

"Cheez Whiz?" Rhodey joked.

"Lightning," Thor said.

"Lightning won't help you, pal. It's gotta be me," Bruce spoke up. "You saw what those stones did to Thanos. It almost killed him. None of you could survive."

"How do we know you will?" Steve asked.

"We don't. But the radiation's mostly gamma. It's like...I was made for this."

You cursed under your breath as you remembered what you were about to stop. "I'll be right back!" You raced away before anyone could question you.

"Y/n what are you doing?!" Tony called after you but you ignored him.

You rounded the corner just in time to catch Nebula trying to reactivate the portal. "Nebula stop!"

Nebula looked at you, her hand on the lever. "Thanos will reign." You jumped at her as she turned it on.

"No no! What have you done?" You cried. Nebula from 2014 just smirked.

You turned to the window and your eyes widened as the missile made contact with the building. You flew back, your back hitting the wall. Before you could get up, more missiles hit the building and the floor sunk. You screamed out as you fell on the dirt, scrambling to get away from metal falling into the tunnel.

"Anyone here?" You called out when you were sure the collapsing was done.

"Y/n!?" A voice called out.

"Clint!" You stood up and ran through the tunnels to his voice. You breathed a sigh of relief as you saw him.

"What happened?" Clint asked.

"Where's the gauntlet?" You asked, then noticed it behind Clint on the floor and picked it up. You brushed the dirt off of it and held onto it like your life depended on it—it did.

"Y/n," Clint started. "We're not alone." He shot an arrow into the tunnel and it exploded with light, showing hordes of Outriders running at you.

"Damn," Clint muttered.

"Run!" You said and Clint was quick to run with you through the tunnels, hopefully to find an exit.