Blurred Lines

I hated Serena and Trip together. It literally made no sense based on how little time had passed since Carter went to work for the Buckley's.

Ella's POV

"I can be there for you

"I can be there for you."

"No." I shake my head. I look at Nate. "This is something I can do by myself."

"But you don't have to be by yourself. You have me." He reminds me.

"I got myself into this mess, and I can get myself out of it." Lean over and kiss his cheek. "I'll be fine. It's just signing papers."

"To legally remove Carter as Palmer's father and change her name to Bass." Nate reminds me, and I stand tall.

"Easy. Right?" I joke, but I know the pain of all of this is too much. "We will meet for lunch, and...all will be good." I tell him.

"You're not alone, Ella. Stop trying to go through this alone." He pleads with me.

"I need to be strong and..."

"Strength can come in numbers."

"I need this, Nate. I need to do this by myself. I promise I'll call once it's over." I gather my purse and pick Palmer up, and we head out. I know Nate wants to be as involved as possible. I involved too many people because I thought it was the right thing to do, but now I know what I need to do. I'm doing what's best for my daughter, even if it pains me to do so.

"Miss Ella."

"Arthur." I hug him, and he allows me to cry on his shoulder. "It will be okay." He assures me. I nod my head. He takes Palmer so I can get her car seat ready. He passes her to me, and I strap her in. He drives off, and I feel a weight building up in my chest. One that I should have let go of a long time ago. Arthur pulls up to the courthouse. He gets out of the car and helps with Palmer.

"Will you be okay, Miss Ella?"

"I..."

"One more hug?" Arthur asks, and I nod, and he brings me in for another hug. "You are amazing for doing this."

"It's not a mistake?" Arthur looks at Palmer, who is playing with my hair.

"When it's for the best interest of your child, there are no mistakes." Arthur kisses my cheek and waves to Palmer. I hold my daughter tighter.

"We got this baby girl." I kiss the top of her head.

"Ma." She says it gives me the strength to climb the steps. I walk through the security and head into my assigned room.

"Good, you're here." My lawyer greets me.

"I'm not late, right? I made sure to be early."

"No, you're perfect." She leads us to our table as we wait for the judge.