Giving With No Thanks

Sorry for the long wait but here is one of my favorite chapters and episodes.

3rd Person POV

"Okay, I've got the stuffing." Rufus goes through the Humphrey family recipe box. "Jenny, you have the sweet potatoes. Eric, what's your tradition?"

"I um...I don't think we van der Woodsen's have any Thanksgiving traditions." Eric answers from the couch.

"Serena apologizes. She won't be able to make it tomorrow." Lily announces.

"I stand corrected." Eric comments.

"She has to work on Thanksgiving?" Rufus asks.

"Tripp has his staff volunteering at a soup kitchen. And with Scott at the Cape and my mother still unable to travel...it looks like it's just going to be Daniel and us."

"Is Ella not spending Thanksgiving with us?" Jenny asks.

"The last that I heard, she was going to spend time with Nate and the van der Bilt. Sadly that means our sweet Palmer will be with her. They will be sorely missed." Lily takes off her coat. "Would you mind if I just walked down to Grace's and ordered one of their turkey dinners, so we don't have to cook?"

"Um..." Jenny clears her throat. "Actually, Lily. Dad was just..."

"Thinking the same thing." Rufus agrees with his wife. "Keep it small. Hassle-free."

"Thank you." Lily whispers and heads out of the living room.

"Sorry, Rufus." Eric gets up. "You can't really blame her. Our Thanksgivings tend to end with french fries and someone having been in a mental institution."

"Yeah, but why don't we show her this is gonna be different?" Jenny suggests.

"Well, there's nothing we can do about Serena. I might be able to talk Ella into spending part of the day with us. And I can set up a video chat on my Netbook and give Grandma a place at the table." Eric offers.

"A CeCe you can unplug." Rufus smiles at the thought. "That's perfect. Let's go give it a test run."

__________________________________

Nate and Serena sit on a bench in the park together to discuss her leaving with Tripp and where their friendship stands

Nate and Serena sit on a bench in the park together to discuss her leaving with Tripp and where their friendship stands. "Come on, Serena. You go off with Tripp after leaving me in a bar...and then I hear through the van der Bilt grapevine that Tripp's asking Maureen for a divorce. You expect me to believe that nothing happened?" Serena can't hide her smile.

"It was one kiss." She fesses up. "And it was a huge mistake that I don't intend on repeating. I promise."

"Fine."

"What was with you telling Tripp you were with Ella when clearly it was just you and me?" Serena questions.

"I..." Nate is trying to come up with a lie. "I'm just used to always being with Ella that it was a slip. Honest mistake." He lies through his teeth.