Disappointed Birthday

Sorry for the long wait. I've been having trouble with these rewrites, but no worries I haven't given up on Ella Bass. Stay tuned for more chapters to come.

Bart is a cold person in general but after careful consideration, he gave Chuck's club another look and decided it would be a good investment. One thing is for certain Chuck has been happier lately and I have no reason why. He hasn't spoken to me since he accused me of having Bart do everything for me and nothing for him. We've gone through months without talking to one another but this one's different. And to make matters worse Nate's dad was arrested for hitting his son but now he is being charged with embezzlement and fraud. In our circle of friends and life, we keep our dirty secrets just that. Secrets that no one is supposed to know about but somehow always get out one way or another.

__________________________________
On top of all the drama going on in our lives, Blair still finds a way to bring everything back to the most important day of the year. Her birthday has always and will probably be the center of everyone's attention for months. Nate feels alone and I try reaching out to him but he wants to fight this battle alone with his family. I'm catching up on homework before I have to leave again for work when Dan's name pops on my screen. "Hey, Dan." I greet him.

"Can we talk?"

"Yeah sure."

"Can I come over to your place or meet somewhere?"

"Come on over. There's no one but me. I'll let the doorman know you're coming by."

"Thank you, I really need to talk to someone about this."

It didn't take long for Dan to show up at my door looking exhausted. "What has you all bothered?"

"Where do I even start?"

'How about the beginning."

"Well, Serena and I...you know we've progressed past casual dating and now...now I feel the pressure is on me to you know..." He motions his hands and I raise my brow at him.

"Are you talking to me about your non-existent sex life with my best friend" Dan jumps up with his hands in front of his chest.

"I knew I shouldn't have..."

"Dan, what is going on with you and Serena?"

"You know about my best friend Vanessa."

"The one who you were in love with but she didn't feel the same way. She moved away and now is back and wants to act as nothing has changed. That Vanessa?"

"You have a freakishly good memory."

"Dan get to the point."

"Okay isn't there a person you tell everything and anything to?"

"To an extent."

"Well, Vanessa is that person to me. I tell her about my day and she tells me about hers. We share what bothers us...and..."

"Why do I feel what you're about to tell me is horrible?"

"Because it is. I told Vanessa about me and Serena getting ready to possibly sleep together."

"You told her this?"

"Yeah, why do you say it like it's a problem?"

"Dan you're an idiot." I hit him in the head with a pillow from my couch.

"Hey!"

"That didn't even hurt."

"I can still be a little hurt by it."

"Dan you don't tell a girl who you used to be in love with that you're thinking about having sex with a new girl you're falling for. That's just common sense."

"How was I supposed to know it would be a problem?"

"How could you not?" I look at him and it dawns on me. Serena is the first actual relationship he's had. "What else is bothering you?"

"My mom came back out of the blue from Hudson and thinks everything can go back to how it was before she left us like we meant nothing to her."

"And how does that make you feel?"

"I feel angry at her and at the same time I wish I could fake it for the sake of Jenny but..."

"She's your mom and she betrayed your trust." He nods his head.

"How can I forgive her?"

"She's your mother. She loves you and Jenny no matter what wrong she has done."

"How can you say that?"

"Because as much as I complain and say Bart is heartless there is still some weird small part of him that must love Chuck and I or he would have given us up. If had put us up for adoption he wouldn't have to worry about two kids that disappoint him."

"There's no way your dad could ever be disappointed with you."

"You would be surprised." I look down for a brief second. "And for the whole sex thing with Serena. You'll know when it's the right time to be with her in every way."

"You think so?"

"Sex is complicated Dan. The moment the relationship is only sex is when it's not a relationship. You and Serena have this great connection don't let anyone or anything get in the way of it."

"How do you have such wisdom at such a young age?"

"That's my secret and I will never tell." I wink at him.

__________________________________
Blair's party is in full swing the moment I step through the doors. Everyone and I mean everyone we could possibly know is having a great time at her indoor karaoke bar and arcade games. Eleanor and Blair went all out for it which I expected nothing less.

"Ella you're here!" Serena comes running to me with open arms.

"I wouldn't miss B's birthday for anything." I state. "So where is the birthday girl?" I ask looking around for her.

"She was on the balcony I believe asking your brother for information on Nate."

"Are they still not talking?" I ask her and she nods her head.

"She's too afraid to ask him anything about what's going on with his dad."

Eventually, Blair came inside with a frown on her face. "B?"

"E?" She is surprised to see me and brings me into a hug. "I'm so happy you're here."

"Come on birthday girl lets have a shot." I pour us some tequila and we clink our glasses and down it. "Happy birthday B!"

"I wish I was happy."

"What's wrong?"

"Nate's not here." I look around and notice that she is in fact right.

"He'll be here."

"We broke up and I doubt he will come."

"Don't be upset."

"All I want is for him to be here and wish me a happy birthday."

"Have you thought about calling to ask where he is?"

"I don't want to seem desperate."

"B, not enjoying your birthday just to anticipate your ex or current boyfriend to come and wish you happy birthday seems a little desperate."

"He'll come." She says with uncertainty in her voice.

"I'm sure he will. 

Nate didn't show up like we all had hoped he would. Blair acted like it was the end of the world. We had no idea they broke up with one another. We all just thought they were having a small fight but we had no idea it was something bigger going on between them. On a positive note, it seems like Serena and Vanessa are getting along better but there will always be this underline tension between them all. Nothing will be simple on our lives no matter how much we may want them to be. 

What are you favorite shows to watch?