2

Yoongi makes his way down the familiar hallway that he used to play in as a child. Since his uncle works here as a professor, and his uncle babysat him a lot since his parents were always too busy for him, Yoongi got to spend a lot of time exploring this part of the college that he's going to attend for his senior year.

Yoongi took a year-long break from school when he was 18 to figure out what he wanted to do. His parents pressured him intensely to follow in their footsteps and go to business school, but his heart told him to go to college for music. And when he finally decided to follow his heart, his parents wanted nothing to do with him.

Ever since his parents disowned him, Yoongi decided to keep his distance from his uncle and his dream school, not wanting to burden the only family member who ever truly cared for him with the drama that always seems to exist when his parents are involved.

But after three years of being completely on his own and attending a respectable but second-rate school, his uncle finally convinced him to enroll and finish his instrumental music degree at the school Yoongi dreamed of going to ever since he played his first note on the grand piano in the school's music room when he was 14 years old.

Yoongi spins around his finger the keychain that holds a key to that very same music room that he first entered 8 years ago. His uncle gave him a copy of the key so that he can come and practice whenever he wants to. Yoongi has a small keyboard in his apartment he can practice on, but it can in no way compare to the sound of a grand piano.

It's fairly late at night, so Yoongi doesn't expect anyone to still be here. The hallways are still dimly illuminated, and he assumes that the janitors are still here cleaning as he can smell a faint odor of disinfectant spray lingering in the air.

Deep down, Yoongi is glad that the hallways are still alight and not completely dark. He'll never admit it out loud, but the darkness frightens him. The idea that anything could hide away in the cover of the blackness has always made him feel uneasy.

In the darkness, he loses control. He can't see properly, which causes his remaining senses to kick into overdrive, and he can't help but to become convinced that there are horrors lying just beyond his field of vision, eager to feed on his fear.

Yoongi pauses just outside the music room, key in hand, but realizes that he doesn't need to use it as the door is already ajar, and a soft melody is echoing in the air around him.

He gently pushes the door open and sees someone seated at the very piano he came here to practice on.

Wavy dirty blonde hair pulled into a messy bun, the woman playing is seated at the beautiful grand piano, her back facing Yoongi, making her blissfully unaware that she is no longer alone.

Yoongi stands in the doorway silently, not wanting to interrupt her as she plays a very beautiful and melancholy piece on the instrument he holds so dear.

Her fingers glide effortlessly across the keys of the instrument, her emotions vivid through the song she is playing, almost as if she is telling a story through her hands.

The story she is telling is one of mixed emotions. Yoongi can hear the heartbreaking sadness in the piece. She is longing for something that has become lost to her.

Not only that, Yoongi also hears a promise being made with the soft melody. It's almost like she is saying, "I miss you, but I will be okay for you."

It's utterly heart-wrenching for Yoongi to hear how broken her heart is, and how desperately she wishes for it to be whole again. He hears her story even though she has not spoken a word.

Only a real musician is able to do something like that; she is portraying emotions so clearly with the instrument, urging it to sing her song for her as she presses the keys and pours herself into the music.

"How can one person hold this much anguish inside themselves?" Yoongi thinks to himself. "What hurt her this badly?"

As the song comes to an end, Yoongi doesn't have enough time to leave his spot in the doorway before the woman has turned herself on the piano bench, her eyes locking onto his.

"Sorry," Yoongi says, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. "I didn't think anyone would be here this late."

Yoongi feels uncomfortable that he's been caught listening to her play. In a way, he feels like he just invaded her privacy; he feels like he just heard something that wasn't meant to be heard by anyone but her, like it was a secret she had been holding on to and she only opens up and lets her true emotions out when she is alone.

The woman continues to stare wordlessly at Yoongi, a guarded look on her face. Her facial expression only confirms it in Yoongi's mind that she never wanted that to be heard by anyone.

"That was beautiful," he says quietly, trying to break the awkward silence growing between the two strangers. "You're very talented."

She sighs deeply before breaking the eye contact and gathering her sheet music, stuffing it haphazardly into her backpack before standing and slinging it over her shoulder.

Without another glance at him, the woman makes her way out of the music room, carefully maneuvering around Yoongi, who is still awkwardly positioned near the doorway.

He turns and watches the woman walk away; the last thing he sees is her turning the corner before she's gone.

Yoongi frowns, feeling guilty for invading the woman's privacy. But he couldn't help listening to her play. It was magical... he'd never heard a piece being played with such strong emotions before. Whoever she is, she is definitely special in her musical skills.

Yoongi walks over to the piano and seats himself on the bench, feeling more inspired than he has felt in a long time. He begins to warm himself up before diving into his first piece, hoping that he can portray his emotions as well as that mysterious woman can.