43

Yoongi's fingers begin to move on their own, weaving their own story. His mind clears as soon as the first note sings out, and he lets the music flow from his soul effortlessly, letting himself be alone with the piano in his mind, even though physically, he is in a crowded room filled with people giving him curious glances.

While he expects his usual style of songs that tend to reflect his deeply-rooted dark feelings, he hears a sense of hope in the piece he's started to play. He's not sure where the melody is coming from inside his mind, but it's flowing easily and beautifully through his fingertips as he softly smiles.

Yoongi doesn't notice the small crowd forming around the piano; he doesn't notice Hoseok standing next to him and smiling down at him proudly as he plays. To Yoongi, it is just the piano and him.

He continues the freestyled song and feels an overwhelming amount of surprise at the emotions being portrayed throughout the piece. His usual feelings of despair and regret are not evident this time; he hears hope and he hears a promise of something more.

He's not entirely sure of the reason behind this change in emotion; it could be that he subconsciously remembers that he is playing in front of people and he doesn't want them to hear his sadness. That sorrow ingrained into his being is something he doesn't share. It is something that only the piano and those closest to him can witness.

Yoongi has never played a song that so wholly captures the feeling of hope before. He's beginning to think this is more than just his unwillingness to be open in front of others because he could have just as easily played one of his favorite classical pieces that everyone around him would recognize and appreciate.

But he's not doing that; he's playing what is in his heart and that is a song filled with hope. He has hope for himself and his future as a pianist, as well as his future happiness. He's also hopeful for Aria, seeing as she's taken such a monumental step towards her own future today.

The two of them may not be free of their burdens today, but they will be someday because they are continuing to move forward.

And that gives Yoongi hope.

He lets himself become intertwined with the music, the keys becoming an extension of his being as his mind creates the rest of the song. He's never felt so optimistic before in his life, and he refuses to let this feeling slip away until the moment the song inevitably comes to an end.

And when the song does end, the emotionally-charged silence that usually fills the air around Yoongi when he finishes a song is instead replaced by clapping. He snaps out of his trance and glances around him to see the small crowd of people.

They are clapping for Yoongi; they are applauding his talent and how he so clearly utilizes music to wordlessly, yet perfectly, explain his emotions.

Yoongi realizes that a lot of people crowded around him right now are going through the same type of situations as he and Aria are enduring; they are all struggling emotionally and mentally, and they are also taking that step forward to receive the helping hand they need to be able to continue moving forward.

He glances at each and every face surrounding him and he recognizes the emotions portrayed on them; so many of them realize that this man seated at the piano feels the same as they do, that all they need is a bit of hope, and he knows exactly how to portray it in a way that other people can recognize and relate to.

These people around him understand how powerful a small amount of hope can be, and they are applauding him for giving them just a bit more than they had before this moment.

Yoongi smiles shyly at the small crowd as they slowly begin to disperse, phrases such as "incredible musician" and "going to change the world" echoing in the room around him.

"Wow," Hoseok says as he grins brightly. "You really are incredible, Yoongs."

"Thanks," Yoongi says, smiling at Hoseok as he stands from the piano bench. "I'm not sure what came over me; I never play in front of people. I only play for myself, Aria and my uncle, and I guess you've heard me in the music room a few times from when you would come to pick up Aria."

"Part of you knew that these people needed that," Hoseok says, smiling at his friend proudly. "How would you feel if you heard a stranger portray the exact emotions that you are dealing with silently because you're not sure how to portray them in your own way?"

Yoongi lets out an airy chuckle. "That has happened to me, Hobi."

Hoseok's eyes soften and he opens his mouth to respond but gets cut off by Aria walking up to the two of them.

She hands Hoseok some paperwork and watches him carefully as he reads over it.

"Two sessions a week," Hoseok reads out loud and Aria nods shyly.

Yoongi reaches out and intertwines his fingers with hers comfortingly, feeling his own heart flutter at the simple touch of his girlfriend's hand enclosed in his own.

"Hey," he says quietly as Hoseok continues to read through the paperwork. She smiles up at him and stands on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek.

A woman with dark circles under her eyes walks up to the three of them, and Yoongi wants to frown in concern at how sickly she seems. She is dangerously underweight and her skin is paper white, though she is smiling so beautifully that Yoongi can't help but return the gesture.

"I'm so sorry to bother you," she says in a meek voice, "but I really needed to say this. I've struggled with severe depression for six months now and it has made me feel more alone than I've ever felt in my entire life. But hearing you play today was... it was life-changing."

Yoongi blushes and his heart begins to pound in his chest at her words, the emotions swelling in his chest.

"I just want to say thank you. I wasn't sure I was making the right decision coming here to get help. I thought I couldn't be fixed. But hearing you able to beautifully portray an emotion that always feels out of my grasp, it feels closer than ever now. It was like your music was wrapping around me and whispering in my ear that I would be okay. So again... thank you."

Yoongi is completely speechless as he stares at the woman who continues to smile genuinely at him.

"He's been through a lot," Hoseok says. "And we are so thankful to know that he is not only beginning to help himself, but he is also able to help others along the way."

"What is your name?" Yoongi asks gently as Aria smiles softly at the woman in front of them.

"Rina," she says.

"I'm Yoongi," he says, bowing to her and gesturing towards Aria. "This is Aria."

The two women exchange warm smiles before Hoseok moves closer to Rina.

"My name is Hoseok," he says, grinning as brightly as ever. "Here, this is my number. Feel free to text or call me if you need to talk. I'm very good at taking care of these two!"

Yoongi and Aria both roll their eyes as Rina nods and sends them one more small smile before walking away.

Hoseok watches her walk away, and Yoongi notices the soft smile on his face as he watches her.