62

Yoongi keeps his eyes closed as he lays in his bed, basking in the rays of the sunlight peeking through his curtains. His arms tighten around his sleeping girlfriend as she rests softly against his chest, her breathing slow and rhythmic against his skin.

He sighs happily as his eyelids flutter open and his sight adjusts to the sunlight. As soon as his vision focuses, he finds his gaze shifting down to the girl sleeping in his arms.

Aria's features are as perfect as they always are in Yoongi's eyes, though he is relieved to see no visible pain etched on her face. Normally, when she is awake, he can always see the hint of pain from her devastating losses; he can see it as though it's a physical scar that she carries with her. During sleep, though, her pain is not visible. She is at peace.

He wonders if she dreams about them.

Maybe that is why she looks so utterly peaceful when she sleeps; maybe she dreams about the years of memories she has with her parents, and her scars fade away momentarily because she feels their presence again.

Either way, Yoongi is grateful that she gets those moments of peace.

Aria stirs in his arms and Yoongi gently wakes her up by kissing her forehead and smiling softly at her as her eyes open. A smile slowly graces her features as she sits up and grabs Yoongi's face in her hands.

"Happy birthday," she says with a quiet voice and Yoongi's heart skips a beat.

"Thank you, love," he says quietly as his hands rest on top of hers.

Yoongi leans up and presses his lips to hers before sighing and resting his forehead against hers. "I guess I should take a shower before I go down to my surprise birthday party."

Aria huffs in annoyance and frowns.

"Yes, I know about the party," Yoongi says, laughing as he stands from his bed. "Blame Hobi. He's a terrible liar."

She groans and stands from Yoongi's bed, kissing his cheek before storming out of the room. Yoongi hears a loud bang a few moments later and knows that Aria is probably chasing Hoseok around with a shoe for letting the secret slip out about his birthday party today.

Yoongi quickly takes a shower and gets himself ready for his day of celebrating and being with the people he loves the most.

It's strange to Yoongi; every single birthday up until this one has not been a celebration that he's enjoyed. When he lived with his parents, they celebrated him being one year closer to being the businessman they wanted him to be. He didn't get toys as presents; he got study materials and tailored suits made just for him so he could be the man they so desperately craved for him to be.

When he left, he treated his birthday as just another day; he treated his birthday as one year closer to being free from the life he never wanted.

Birthdays were not joyous for Yoongi.

Until today.

Today, he woke up with the love of his life in his arms.

Today, his girlfriend told him "happy birthday" because she's been working tirelessly in her speech therapy to try to learn how to speak to the best of her ability.

Yoongi knows she will never be able to say more than a handful of words and phrases because of her brain damage, but he also knows that she is so determined to learn every word she can.

And he is endlessly proud of her for how hard she fights for her future.

So today, Yoongi will celebrate his birthday.

Because today is a day worth celebrating.

~

"Happy birthday!" Everyone yells as Yoongi descends the stairs and walks into the living room that has been heavily decorated with balloons and streamers.

"I'm not even going to try to act surprised," Yoongi says, laughing as he rubs the back of his neck. "I'm as bad at acting as Hobi is at lying."

"I resent that," Hoseok huffs as his parents laugh at him.

"He couldn't get away with anything as a child," his dad says through his laughter.

"My poor little baby has always been awful at lying," Mrs. Jung says, rubbing the back of Hoseok's head as he pouts childishly.

"Presents," Aria says and Mrs. Jung immediately bursts into tears as Mr. Min looks at her with an alarmed expression.

"Mom, it's a bit unnecessary to burst into tears every time Aria says something," Hoseok says, pulling her into a hug as he laughs.

"My baby's just doing so well at speaking, that's all," she sniffles and Aria rolls her eyes before moving to hug Mrs. Jung.

"Group hug!" Mr. Jung exclaims and everyone joins in the hug as Mrs. Jung continues to sniffle and wipe her teary eyes.

"Okay, let's get on with it!" Hoseok says, pulling away from the hug with a blinding grin on his face. "I'm excited for Yoongi to open his gifts."

Yoongi laughs nervously. "You didn't have to get me anything."

"Well, too bad Yoongs," Hoseok says, still grinning. "Here."

Hoseok gestures to something positioned against the wall, and Yoongi moves closer to it, pulling the blanket off that's been put over it to conceal what it is.

Yoongi gasps softly as he takes in the sight of the beautiful piano bench in front of him.

"I made it," Hoseok says proudly as he gestures to the seat. "It's not perfect, but-"

"Yes it is," Yoongi says, kneeling down in front of the bench and letting his fingertips glide along the dark, smooth surface. "It's beautiful, Hobi. Thank you so much."

"If you sit on it and it collapses, it's not my fault," Hoseok says, holding his hands up and Yoongi laughs as he stands back up.

"I'm just kidding," Hoseok says, laughing with Yoongi. "Well, mostly."

"Okay, okay, our turn!" Mrs. Jung says, beaming at Yoongi as Mr. Jung hands Yoongi a small, perfectly wrapped gift.

Yoongi gives them a small smile before he tears the paper off to see a framed picture of him, Hoseok and Aria mid-laughter during Hoseok's birthday party last month.

"I know it's not much," Mrs. Jung explains as Yoongi stares at the picture. "You looked so happy that day, and I wanted to capture that moment. It's just a nice little reminder that you're not alone anymore and you bring out the best in the people you love. Look at how happy Hoseok and Aria are with you, sweetheart. All three of my babies look so happy."

"She's crying again," Hoseok says, sighing and smiling softly as Mr. Jung comforts his wife.

"Thank you," Yoongi says quietly, tears in his own eyes as he hugs the two of them tightly.

"You're family, Yoongi," Mr. Jung says, patting his shoulder and smiling at him. "You're stuck with us now."

Yoongi grins at Hoseok's parents and Mr. Min clears his throat.

"I guess I should show you my gift now since Aria's gift ties in with mine," he says with a nervous look on his face. "I had it put in the dining room for now."

"Okay, let's go see," Yoongi says with a smile on his face, gently setting the picture down on the table and moving towards the dining room.

Everyone follows behind Yoongi, holding their breaths in anticipation as they wait for his reaction.

When Yoongi sees what is sitting in the dining room for him, he falls to his knees and tears fall freely onto his cheeks.