35

Yoongi sits down on his bed, staring down at the journal in his hands.

Aria's journal.

After an anxious drive to Aria's apartment, she pulled her diary out of her bag and handed it to him before running into her building, too nervous to even look at him.

After taking a deep breath, he glances down and smiles at the picture of the two of them sleeping on the couch together that's been taped to the front of the diary. Yoongi figures that Hoseok must've snuck the picture and sent it to Aria.

After one more deep breath, Yoongi opens the diary to the first page, where a small note has been scribbled in.

"Dear Yoongi,

This is everything. I hope it helps you understand.

Love, Aria"

Yoongi's heartrate increases as he turns the page and sees the first entry. He's finally going to see inside Aria's mind; he's going to see her thoughts in her own words instead of Yoongi's interpretation of her.

"August 2, 2018

It's been a year. I miss them. I haven't written in a diary since they died. I wrote down happy moments- moments that I wanted to remember. Now all I have is the void. Hobi encouraged me to start to write it all down again, so I'm doing this for him. Though I've decided to start in a new journal; I can't stand the thought of writing such sadness in the same journal that I wrote such beautiful moments in."

"August 10, 2018

I hate the thought of writing down what I feel... what I feel is something that I don't want to remember. So why am I doing this? I guess I figured if I do, Hobi will stop looking at me like I'm broken; though to be fair, that's exactly what I am."

"August 26, 2018

Who am I even writing this for? I know I'll never go back and read this. I'd never let Hobi or his parents read it. And those three are all I have. So why am I doing this?"

"September 2, 2018

Someone walked in on me playing piano tonight. I felt so exposed... nobody but Hobi and Mr. Min has heard me play because my music is the only thing I have that understands me. Yes, I have my support system of Hobi and his family, but they don't understand. All they can do is smile sadly and give me hugs and kind words. But the music... it doesn't betray me like words betrayed me. And someone heard my music tonight. What's strange was that it almost seemed like he knew what I was trying to say even though I can't speak. Oh well; he was just a stranger passing by."

"September 3, 2018

I don't usually write two days in a row, but this felt needed. That stranger that heard me play? He's in one of my classes. Even worse, he had to sit next to me since the only available seats were on either side of me because nobody wants to sit next to the depressed, silent girl. But he sat next to me and he even apologized for last night. I didn't expect that; I expected him to treat it like it wasn't a big deal. So what he heard me playing, right? But it was a very big deal to me, and it's like he could just sense that. I never expected to ever see him again, so I was definitely uncomfortable. He heard me play... and when I play, that's the only time I ever let the emotions out. So that stranger heard my sadness. He heard a sadness that I don't let anyone else witness.

Hobi had to rescue me from a slimeball guy by pretending to be my boyfriend, and after he pulled that stunt, he felt it necessary to tell the stranger about my condition. When the stranger asked what happened, he tried to tell him. But I don't want him to know; it's strange, but it feels nice that the first thing he learns about me won't be about the car crash. The first thing he heard was my music; it's terrifying, but there's a small part that's comforted by that.

Mr. Min wants the stranger to be my partner for the May concert. I'm not sure I can play in front of so many people; Mr. Min made exceptions for me last year when I took his class, but I guess he wants me to share my music this year instead of hiding it. I don't know how to feel about it yet.

But tonight, I heard the stranger play. And I've never heard someone play like that. The way he made that piano sing for him... it was almost ethereal. I even had him play it again while I watched his fingers move across the keys so beautifully; it's like the piano was just an extension of his body and his mind. He's sad too. Just like me."

"September 4, 2018

This is the third day in a row that I've written in this. I used to write every day before the accident, but I lost that desire to record memories like this when I lost my happiness. But that stranger, Yoongi, makes me want to record my thoughts again. It's strange; I feel this almost overwhelming connection to him; he heard me play and I heard him play and it was like we were the only two people in the world who could create music like that.

When he walked into class, I found myself wanting to smile at him, but I stopped myself. Yoongi is still a stranger, after all. All I know about him is his name and that, for whatever reason, he has the same sadness as me. I found myself wanting to get to know this stranger better.

But then he mentioned my parents, and I felt myself immediately close up. Hobi must've told him. Now all I expect from him is the pitiful gazes and sad smiles. Just like everyone else. Because he's just a stranger. Right?

Tonight, I decided to play through my emotions again; it's the only thing I have left. The music understands; the music listens. But the stranger was listening again. And after I finished the song and I met his gaze, I was honestly surprised. I didn't see that sad smile. I didn't see that pitiful gaze. I saw anger. I saw wonder. I saw someone who wanted to understand me instead of pity me.

So when he asked if he could play my song with me, I let him. I've never played with anyone; I never thought I would be okay with it, especially with my own music that I wrote. But he played the piano half of the duet exactly as I imagined it being played; not only that, I heard his own pain mixed in with the melody.

Yoongi is different. He hears me. Nobody has heard me in so long..."