Chapter 1.

"My, my, Your faces are covered in soot. Were you wrestling in the charcoal again?" A warm voice asked.

Two boys smiled at each other, "Yes, mother, and I won as always, haha!" One said.

"Hey! I was close this time! If you hadn't tripped me, I would have pinned you!" The other said.

"Well, don't fall over next time! Haha!" The first one said.

"Boys, I'm sure you got close, Tanjiro. But you know we need to sell that. Before you go, though, you should clean up, come here," The lady said as the second boy stepped forward.

She gently wiped his face with a cloth, cleaning off the soot from his cheeks and forehead, "You, too, Kyameron," She said.

The first boy stepped forward, also being cleaned off by his mother, "The snow is rather ferocious tonight. You can wait until tomorrow to go if you'd like," She said

"That's alright. We want everyone to feel nice and full on new Year, right?" Kyameron asked.

"Yup!" Tanjiro replied.

Their mother flashed a worrisome smile as she always did, patting both the boys on the head. Reaching up a bit higher to pat Kyameron's, "You boys are a handful. Just be careful, please?"

"Of course, Mom. I'll keep Tanjiro safe," Kyameron said with a smile.

"Ha! I'll be the one keeping HIM safe, mother!" Tanjiro replied.

Their mother's worrisome expression faded into a pure smile, hugging her two eldest sons. As she did, a younger boy and girl came running from the house, "Tanjiro! Kyameron! You're going to town again?" The younger boy asked.

"We want to go with you!" The girl said.

As they spoke, a third, relatively older boy came outside, "Wait, Kyameron! I thought you were going to chop wood with me!"

"Sorry, Takeo, but I've gotta get this done. We'll do it the second I get back, okay?" Kyameron said.

"Awh... okay..." Takeo said.

"We want to go with you guys!" The two younger siblings said.

"Absolutely not. The weather is too bad to use the cart, and you can't walk down and back up the mountain."

"But mom! I wanna help too!" The boy said.

"Me too!" The girl said.

Tanjiro approached the two, "I appreciate you wanting to help Hanako, but you're staying here tonight," He said.

"But-"

"Don't worry. I'll read you a story when I get back, okay?"

"Okay..."

Tanjiro ruffled Hanako's hair and smiled, which pepped up her spirits.

"The same goes for you, Shigeru. But don't fret, I'll get you plenty of goodies in town, 'Kay?"

"Okay! I want lots of chocolates!"

"And the magic word...?

"...please."

"Okay, chocolates it is."

Shigeru smiled, as did Hanako. Kyameron returned to Tanjiro's side, "If you can beat my woodchopping record, you can come next time, alright Takeo?" He said.

"But that's impossible!" Takeo yelled.

"Not if you try! Besides, you've got all the time in the world," Kyameron said, smirking.

Takeo scowled, but he nodded at his eldest brother.

"Alright, we best be off," Tanjiro said.

"Thank you, boys. You're of great help." Their mother said.