Chapter 54.

The snowy wasteland transformed itself into a hellish barren void of all life outside Akaza and Kyameron; if you could call Akaza alive, that is. Lord knows he's no longer a mortal being, merely a reject that only the demon king would welcome. His existence alone was an insult to humanity, a testament to how far they'd strayed from god's ideals. The blue stripes lining his torso wrapped all the way up to his face, covering his fierce eyes and giving them an even more fear-inducing effect. Still, Kyameron peered directly into them, unphased by the intimidating presence gazing back at him with a sick, sadistic smile. An unholy cackle shattered the momentary silence. Emanating from Akaza's mouth and revealing his blood-stained teeth, Kyameron's eyes focused on them; human blood. Blood of someone like him, just attempting to live their life peacefully. More and more rage clustered inside him, waiting to explode like an atomic bomb, 'Usually, I don't waste my time on weaklings like you,' Akaza spat, licking leftover blood from his lips, 'But with you, I have a bit of a vendetta, and that paltry brat of a child you call a brother.'

'I couldn't care less,' Kyameron retorted, taking up a battle stance.

Akaza laughed again, 'Dashing toward your demise? What makes you think you can defeat me, boy?' He cackled, planting his feet and opening a crater. Kyameron said nothing; he gripped his sword tight, tensed his muscles, and pushed off his back leg. With a breakneck pace, he barrelled down on the demon, 'Such a fool,' Akaza taunted, activating his compass as Kyameron arrived. He swung forth, pulling his katana over his head and loosening his elbows. Akaza went to block the attack, but Kyameron's elbows created the whip-like action he'd been practicing from the physics book. The extra torque on his slash enabled him to cut directly through Akaza's arm, severing it and landing a clean hit on his torso. Akaza flipped backwards, his arm regrowing mid-air, 'Not bad! It's an improvement, I suppose. If I remember correctly, you couldn't even make a dent in me, could you?' He asked coyly.

Kyameron again said nothing, dashing in with his blade at his side, 'Flame breathing, second form,' he thought, his sword catching fire while he wound up. Reaching Akaza's position, he let loose an upwards slice, 'Rising scorching sun!'

Akaza again laughed, easily sidestepping the attack and kneeing Kyameron in the stomach. Saliva spewed out his mouth while his eyes tried to escape their sockets but were forced back in by a mighty haymaker delivered square in the face, flinging Kyameron across the field. During his journey, Akaza launched a discharge of air, colliding with him and doubling the velocity he flew at. Slamming into a tree, it exploded into thick shards of sawdust and woodchips, leaving Kyameron with a nasty splinter piercing his cheek. His vision grew blurry, but the red wouldn't fade. 'How disappointing!' Akaza chirped, 'How embarrassed would Kyojuro have been to see you like this? How were YOU, HIS student?' Rage flooded Kyameron's heart, forcing a river of adrenaline to shoot through his veins, 'And most of all, are you genuinely dense enough to challenge me? Apparently so. What an obliteration of Kyojuro's energy you were.'

Adrenaline reached his lungs, forcing his breath back into his frame. Getting to his feet, Kyameron wasted no time lunging back into battle, 'Fifth form, Flame Tiger!' The giant feline erupted again, trailing Kyameron in his pursuit of Akaza's position.

'I would offer to turn you into a demon, but Master Kibutsuji would terminate you within moments for being related to that filthy boy. So, I'll put you out of your misery instead.' Akaza mocked, emerging in front of Kyameron before he could even blink, let alone swing his fiery katana. Another gutshot took away his second wind, followed by a right hook to the chin. A knee to the stomach, a kidney punch, an uppercut, and finally, a roundhouse to the temple followed in rapid succession, obliterating Kyameron and whatever spirit he had left. Launched flying again, he landed head-first on a rock. Dizzied and confused, he fell flat on his back, dropping his weapon. The red in his vision seeped into darkness, flashing in and out of consciousness as Akaza howled in the background. Kyameron slowly rose to his feet, using his sword as a crutch to keep balanced. 'Do you truly insist on fighting me?' Akaza questioned as if he was fighting a disabled person. Kyameron, again, spoke not a word. He picked up his blade and ran at Akaza, swaying side to side with delirium. 'Oh, how you weaklings infuriate me so,' he grumbled, waiting for Kyameron to swing. When the sword came down, he caught it with two hands. The confused Kyameron gripped it as tight as possible, putting everything into the attack. This tension caused the blade to slip, rotating ever-so-slightly.