Chapter 68

Kyameron relentlessly chases Shinobu along the winding paths all through the night. Neither of them stops to take a breath, and neither of them misses a step. The full moon provides enough light that the path ahead remains clear, not that they need it. They could run on senses alone and be fine. Every time Kyameron is close to passing Shinobu, she flies ahead with some second burst of speed. It infuriates him, but there's nothing he can do. She taunts and teases him whenever he gets close before rocketing ahead, giggling as she does.

Nighttime flies by as the two sprint, coming up on a small town with no lights on within. Shinobu blows right through it, but Kyameron comes to a screeching halt. He stares at the settlement from the tiny vantage point, focusing his eyes while drawing on every bit of his enhanced eyesight. Shinobu comes walking back and stops beside him, "What's wrong? Feeling tired?"

"No," he replies firmly, "Something isn't right. Too quiet. Even for this hour."

Shinobu knows him well enough that this tone means no-nonsense. She flips the switch, and her eyes narrow onto the village, "What is it?"

"I can't see anything yet, but I know I picked a scent up. Something nasty."

"Then let's not waste time," she says, jumping off the hill and down into the village. Kyameron follows suit, landing in the middle of the deserted street with a much louder bang than Shinobu. They don't wait around and immediately split up to prowl the village. He stays on the roads while Shinobu leaps up to the rooftops. They both keep all five senses keen and alert, patrolling the small town in dead silence. No candles are lit anywhere and every home is dark. It's 3 am, but it's strange regardless. As Shinobu peers down into alleyways and checks on residents, Kyameron looks into shops and nooks for any sign of demon activity.

Finally, dull footsteps cross his ears. He snaps his head behind him, spotting the end of a leg running around a corner. He flies after it, peeling around the corner and catching another glimpse of whatever this is. Its skin colour is indeterminable because of the lack of light, but the moon gives enough to see it's nothing totally abnormal like red or green. He peels around the corner again, coming face to face with an alleyway. His memory floats back to his very first mission with Rengoku, and he smiles before stepping into the dark passage.

Across the village, Shinobu hears the commotion and leaps from roof to roof, landing next to him. "Found something, I assume."

"I think so. I can't get a clear view of it, but it's too fast to be a regular human," he replies, keeping his hand on his sword.

"Well, if that's the case, then I say we stop playing around and put this to bed, yes? We are expected at the master's mansion, after all."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. I was planning on enjoying this just a little bit but you're right."

As the two wander in darkness, a pair of red eyes watch them from it. Its eyes bore into the back of Shinobu, licking its lips while scrapping the wall with its claws. Kyameron detects the noise and draws his blade in a swift motion, spinning around and pointing it to the exact spot the demon is in. However, the camouflage is too strong, and even his eyes cannot pick up on it. "Jittery, are we?" Shinobu asks.

"Cautious," he replies.

"You've GOT to be kidding me!" The demon thinks, staring at the two with anger, "I finally find some unprotected, out-of-the-way village, and now these two jokers show up?! Just my luck!" It thinks, drooling on the wall, "And they aren't even taking it seriously!!" 

The demon scampers up the wall while remaining dead silent, skulking along the rooftops above the two slayers. It stares down at them with murderous intent before silently leaping off the top, aiming for Shinobu's neck. Unfortunately, the moonlight is still enough to create a shadow, even for something with perfect camouflage. Kyameron's new blade flies upwards, slashing through the demon's neck with no resistance. Its head can't even hit the ground before it burns to ash.

Kyameron scoffs, "What a joke," he says, sheathing his blade after flinging the blood off it.

"I must say I expected more," Shinobu says, "But a demon is a demon. If I may ask, how did you spot it?"

"Oh, I didn't. Something just felt off and I guessed right," he replies, thrusting out his chest, "I'm incredible, you know."

Shinobu rolls her eyes, "Maybe so," she teases, elbowing him in the side which makes him blush, "But you're still slow."

Again, before he can react, Shinobu has taken off back towards the mansion. Kyameron curses himself and his stupid emotions before running off after her, leaving the small village with peace they never knew was disturbed.

Sunlight begins to creep back from beyond the horizon as morning comes, but Kyameron and Shinobu run all the same. She continues the pattern of letting him get close then peeling away, which remains infuriating to the latter but hilarious to the former. This little game throws the time into a bonfire, and soon enough, they're met with a Kakushi. Shinobu stops and waits for Kyameron to catch up, giggling as he approaches. "Hello, Lady Kochou," the Kakushi says, bowing her head, "And to you, Mr. Kamado."

Both of them both their head back to the Kakushi, but it's Shinobu who speaks up, "I assume you know our destination?" 

"Yes, of course," she says, pointing to her back, "Mr. Kamado, if you will."

"Hold on, why do I have to ride on your back? And how come we didn't just get a ride from the mansion?" He says, looking at Shinobu. She smiles blankly, and Kyameron groans, "You're such a pain in the ass," he mumbles, jumping on the Kakushi's back as she runs off.

Shinobu stands still for a moment, watching him running off, "... I know." She says with a tiny blush.