Chapter 9.

Over the span of the following year and a half, Kyameron trained under Rengoku tirelessly. Day in and day out, it was training and getting stronger. On an odd occasion, letters from Urokodaki would fly in to give him updates on how his siblings were doing, per his request. It gave him some comfort knowing his siblings were still doing okay, though saddened that Nezuko still hadn't woken up from her seemingly neverending slumber.

The first six months had been committed to basic physical training, with and without a sword. Rengoku's drills differed very much from Urokodaki, mainly in styles they were akin to. Rengoku employed very hands-on training, something Urokodaki couldn't do because of his age. Rengoku and Kyameron would often spar, the former giving the latter feedback on his movements and attack patterns. Once Rengoku deemed him fit, they began training with Total Concentration Breathing and Rengoku's personal style, Flame Breathing. With his heightened senses, Kyameron was naturally adapted to this style and was able to master the basics of Total Concentration Breathing in just over one month, something that impressed Rengoku greatly. However, once they began training in the practice of Flame Breathing itself, Kyameron started to struggle.

Four months passed, each one only growing Kyameron's frustrations, eventually growing restless and trying around the clock. 

"Flame breathing, first form. . ." Kyameron said, trying to control the radiating heat in the air.

"Good, good! Keep it up!" Rengoku said

Kyameron shifted his weight into his blade and dashed forwards, prepared to swing at the dummy. However, he lost control at the last second, falling face-first, dropping his training blade and eating a pile of mud. He stood up and started to rant, picking up his sword and trying again, and again, and again.

One time he failed to summon the flames. Another, the sword got so hot it burnt his hands. Another time, he managed to control it all the way until the blade swung. However, missing the dummy entirely.

When Rengoku saw how frustrated and angry his student was getting, he invited him to come along on one of his missions to the mountainous regions, "Kyameron! I can see your frustrations growing! Perhaps you should come along on my next mission!"

Kyameron looked dumbfounded, "With you, master? Don't you think I'm a bit weak to help? You are a Hashira after all," he said, "Besides, I have to keep practicing Flame Breathing,"

"This will be practice, my student! Certainly, you aren't on a Hashira's level, but this is nothing like your test! I shall be watching over you! Hahaha!"

"Well, if you say it's practice, then I have no reason to say no,"

"Wonderful! Now follow along! We leave now!"

"Wait, now?!"

"That's what I said! Hahaha!"

"Fair enough, I guess,"

As Rengoku led the way from their training grounds, travelling northeast towards the mountains, Kyameron couldn't help but ask a question that had been nagging at him for some time, "Master Rengoku?"

"What is it, my student?!"

"When I finish my training, what will I have to do? Is there a final test or something?"

"Yes, there is! Did Urokodaki not tell you about it?!"

"I heard him say something along the lines of 'Final Test' to my brother once, but they were so far away I couldn't pick up any details,"

"I thought the old man would have told you! But, no time better than the present, I suppose! Hahaha! Once a demon slayer's training finishes, they must take a test on Mount Fujikasane, Final Selection! It ensures that only the strongest slayers can join our ranks! The people on the mountain detail the rest of the test, so I needn't explain anymore!"