Chapter 63.

Haven't posted a chapter in a while so I'm working some overtime and giving y'all another one. :)

________________________________________________________________________________

Kyameron and Tanjiro leave Nezuko's bedroom and head back into the medical ward where Zenitsu and Inosuke are "Sleeping". Kyameron walks past them with Tanjiro in toe, leaving the medical ward and heading down the hallway. 'Those two followed me from the training room.' He says to Tanjiro once they're out of Zenitsu's crazy hearing range.

'They followed you? Why?' Tanjiro asks in response.

'Wish I knew. Those two have always been weird around me, though. Creeps me out sometimes. I'm not THAT intimidating, am I?'

'Ehhhhh... you can be pretty menacing sometimes.' Tanjiro says, laughing a bit.

Kyameron smirks for a split second, but then goes cold again. 'Alright, we're going to my master's father's house. His name is Shinjuro; he's a former hashira. He was one when Urokodaki was, actually. But listen, Shinjuro isn't like my master. Don't do anything stupid around him.' He says, Tanjiro nodding in response.

Kyameron quickly takes him to the courtyard and out of the mansion grounds, heading down the path and away to Shinjuro's house. From her window, Shinobu watches them with bated breath, smiling again as she most often does. She picked up some black eyes in the process, but beating her head against the brick wall may have finally broke through. She steps away and gets back to her work, drawing up Wisteria poison into a needle.

The brother's journey is very quiet. There's not much in the way of small talk apart from the stereotypical quips. It's uncomfortable for both brothers, but neither wants to say somethign that will hurt or upset the other. It's tense.

Tanjiro finally works up the courage to speak, 'Heh... this reminds me of the walk to our first mission.'

'What mission?'

'The one where we'd just got our swords. Where we fought the swamp demon? This reminds me of the walk over to it.'

Kyameron cringes. He realizes this is practically the exact same situation, and does his best to loosen up a bit. But the combination of the situation he'd stumbled upon at the mansion and what he's in for when he arrives at Shinjuro's are weighing on his shoulders. 'Yeah, I guess it is.'

'Mhm. I just hope it doesn't end with you running away!' Tanjiro says in a joking mannor.

Kyameron cringes again. 'Don't mention that... please, don't. I don't want to talk or think about that.'

'You've never really been the same since that, Kyameron... you sure you don't want to talk about it?'

'Yes, Tanjiro, I'm positive.'

'Can we please?'

"Why? Why do you want to be reminded of the time I threatened to kill you?' Kyameron says with his voice tainted by shame.

'Well... I miss the brother I had before that. I miss the Kyameron who was always joking, always smiling, always sarcastic and always confident... I miss that brother.'

Kyameron sighs. 'War changes people, Tanjiro. A single battle scar doesn't seem like much, but when they start to pile up is when your realise you're changing. I didn't realise that fast enough.' He doesn't say any more. He refuses to be weak around Tanjiro.

The younger Kamado looks a bit upset, but knows he shouldn't push Kyameron any further. 'I know that he'll be back one day... even if I have to wait my whole life. I know he'll be back.'

Kyameron's eyes widen a bit. He looks over his shoulder at Tanjiro and sees his bright smile. His chest stops constricting his heart, letting it beat for the first time in... well, since Rengoku died. He feels fresh blood running through his system, flushing through his cheeks and getting rid of the paleness he'd been stuck with. After all this time, the one person who could truly remind him of what it looks like to be happy despite tragedy was the one he'd pushed away out of fear. Shame fills his face, punctuated by a genuine smile. 'There's something about you, little bro. Never change.'

Tanjiro's bright smile gets even brighter. 'I'm glad to see you smiling, brother. It's been too long.'

Kyameron turns his head and realises they're right in front of the village where Shinjuro resides. He swiftly takes Tanjiro down into the village and towards Shinjuro's house. People in the village walk about on their every day business, not paying the two any mind which Kyameron appreciates. They arrive at Shinjuro's front door, and Kyameron knocks.

There's some commotion from inside the house, and soon someone trudges up to the door. It opens, 'H-hello...?' A voice says.

The door swings and reveals a young boy, looking a few years younger than Tanjiro. He looks just like Rengoku, which throws Kyameron off. He shakes the images of his master's lifeless face from his mind. 'Hello. You must be Senjuro.'

'I-I am... who are you?'

'My name is Kyameron Kamado, and this is my brother, Tanjiro. Shinjuro requested to see me, and Kyojuro wanted us both to come by.'

Senjuro freezes. His jaw drops and his eyes begin to water, 'Yo-you're Kyameron?' He asks. Kyameron nods. 'P-please, come in...'

'Who the hell is it?!' A much deeper, angrier voice says from inside. Another man comes to the door, but he's a full-grown adult. He looks enraged and comes steaming to the door. 'Who the hell are you?!'

Kyameron steps in front of Tanjiro, instinctively protecting him. 'Shinjuro, I presume?'

'Yeah, what's it to you?!'

'My name is Kyameron Kamado. I received your crow, and I'm here per your request.'

Shinjuro's anger quickly fades into surprise. 'Ah... so you're Kyojuro's student.'

Kyameron nods.

'Well, come in... but who's that behind you?'

Kyameron moves to reveal Tanjiro, 'My brother.'

Shinjuro stares at Tanjiro for a second, then notices the mark on his head. THe mark of the sun. His anger quickly returns, as he pushes Senjuro out of the way and tries to tackle Tanjiro. Before he can, however, Kyameron stops him by grabbing his shoulder. He tries to sweep Shinjuro's legs out from under him, but can't because of his strength. Shinjuro again tries to tackle Tanjiro in fury, but stops when Kyameron places a hand on his blade, stepping in front of Tanjiro again. 'I don't care who you are. Don't touch my brother.' He says with a ferocious intensity.

'You don't have the guts, boy!' Shinjuro shouts, walking forward again.

In response, Kyameron draws the blade and thrusts it mere millimeters to the right of Shinjuro's head. His speed is very unexpected to the former hashira, who is frozen by the display. 'Don't take me for some weakling or some pussy. Like I said; I don't care who you are or what you've done, don't touch my brother or my sister.'

Shinjuro looks at the blade next to his head, as does Tanjiro. They both notice the engraving on it, the flaming pattern, and of course the colour. 'You were definetely trained by Kyojuro... fine. I suppose the topic can wait. Get inside. Just you, though. Your brother can stay with Senjuro.' Shinjuro says with contempt, leading Kyameron inside. He would argue for Tanjiro, but he doesn't want to anger Shinjuro any further. Once both pairs of people are inside, they separate. Shinjuro and Kyameron do the library while Senjuro and Tanjiro go the training yard.

'Kyameron, we have much to discuss. Please sit down.'