Chapter 28

For once, the light did not chase away the darkness. Kyameron awoke as the sun rose over the treeline. As he stretched, he realized Shinobu was no longer by his side. He got to his feet and took his first deep breath of the day, the scent of pine filling his nose. His morning routine began with a leap from the roof and into the courtyard. He drew his sword and swung it two thousand times first. Then he did a thousand push-ups, a thousand sit-ups, a thousand squats, and a three hour-long plank. The cool breeze sweeping through his hair gave him a sense of freedom and serenity. Unfortunately, that serenity didn't last, courtesy of Zenitsu screaming like a banshee. Frustrated and annoyed, Kyameron sprinted to the medical bay. Throwing the door open and walking in, it didn't look like a medical ward at all. People were screaming and shouting, running about the room and crying. Kyameron thought about leaving but couldn't after Tanjiro called him in. Begrudgingly stepping inside, the butterfly girls immediately consulted him for help, "Kyameron! Zenitsu won't take his medicine! Can you help?" They said.

Kyameron rolled his eyes, "I'm not one for medicine, but I guess so,"

All three of the girls smiled, "So, what do we do?"

"Watch and learn," He said, walking over to Zenitsu, "Alright there, bud. What's so bad about it?"

Zenitsu gulped, "IT TASTES SO AWFUL! SO AWFUL!" he screeched.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah! I can't take it! I'd rather be dead!"

"I can arrange that for you,"

Zenitsu felt a tingle go up to his spine, "I-I was being sarcastic..."

"And I'm not. Take your medicine, now," Kyameron said, handing it to Zenitsu. Reluctantly, Zenitsu downed the medicine. He started to act like he was choking, throwing a big song and dance about it. He settled quickly, or at least, once Kyameron smacked him in the face.

A lower-ranked slayer named Murata sat next to Tanjiro's bed. He was rambling about how scary and intimidating the Hashira were. Kyameron chuckled to himself, "This could be fun," he thought. Stepping behind Murata, he cleared his throat, getting the boy's attention. He froze like a statue, only moving to look behind him, "What's all this about that Hashira I hear?"

Murata turned pale and sweaty, "N-no-nothing, s-sir," He said.

"Nothing? I thought I heard something akin to disrespect," Kyameron said, leaning in, "That wouldn't go over too well, would it?" He asked.

"N-n-n-no, sir," Murata said, now terrified.

"Good. Now get out," Kyameron said calmly.

Murata took this as an opportunity to run, seizing in and taking off. Slamming the door behind him, he ran out of the mansion and in the opposite direction. Another scream of horror came from the hallway in which he ran down, "ACK! LADY KOCHOU!" Murata yelled.

"Good day to you," Shinobu said calmly.

"You, as well! Goodbye!" Murata said, running back past the ward.

Some weeks passed, Tanjiro and his friends steadily regained their health. Kyameron also remained at the Butterfly Mansion. Although, missions and training were how he spent most of his time. After a lengthy recovery, Tanjiro and Inosuke found themselves ready to begin the next stage of their recovery. This announcement came with Kyameron and Shinobu walking into the ward, "I can see your recovery is coming along well. How are you feeling?" Shinobu asked.

"I think we're much better now. Thank you," Tanjiro said

"Perfect. Shall we start your rehabilitation training?"