Chapter 3

Ayato was sitting with you on the ground while stroking his hands on the water trail. Both of you ended up in Chinju Forest because he held your wrist and went there so you just followed. "Why did you do that?" you asked.

"Tonikaku anata to kekkon suru tsumoridesu," he mumbled.

'What...?' you asked in your thoughts. The deafening silence lingered for a few minutes but you can still hear the relaxing sounds of the river splashing at the end of the trail. "I was excited to update Thoma that I got the position just a while ago," you started to open up to him. "Why did you follow me downstairs? Do you know that this will happen?"

"I forgot to put the last book in the box then I saw you there standing still alone like you saw a ghost," responded Ayato while playing with water. "Do you like him?" asked Ayato out of nowhere. You acted like you didn't hear what he said so he asked a few questions to gather your attention. "If ever they wanted you to be married to someone like me, would you accept it?" he asked, which successfully caught your attention quickly.

"Why would they want us to get married?" you ensured as you looked at him. "I would never marry you," you answered straightly and avoided his gaze so you looked back to your visible reflection on the river.

"Oh..." mumbled Ayato while nodding. "I never exactly said that they want me to marry you."

You look back at him and say, "Hey, why are you asking me these random questions?" Ayato didn't answer your question so you finally stood up and decided to go back to the estate with him since he followed you. 'He's acting calm and different right now unlike inside the manor, he's mean and bossy. Does he have split personalities?' you wondered.

"Can you come with me to the study room?" asked Ayato before you split ways with him.

Ayato didn't receive a response from you but you followed him. He opened the door and you stood there, waiting for his orders while he took out some books and other materials from the drawer. "Do you know how to read and write?" he asked as he sat down on the zabuton cushion. Ayato gestured to you to sit down in front of him too.

"Why does it matter to you?"

"Don't question me."

"Of course, I can read though I'm struggling in writing since no one ever taught me how to write and I'm just learning by reading. Why do you ask?" you questioned him again. "Can you get to the point already? Why are you doing this? Are you going to teach me? Why? Are we having an arranged marriage? That's why I need to do this, learn this, and act formally like you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Come on! Don't act clueless and pretend you didn't understand what I've said."

"The reason why I want you to be better is because I want you to get Thoma's attention and be with him," responded Ayato. "Ayaka can't be with a commoner. That's why I asked if you like Thoma a while ago. Don't be ridiculous."

"Ah I see... It's a deal, then!" you agreed. "I'm gonna need an additional payment for this!"

Ayato looked at you with his furrowed eyebrows. "I'm going to teach you about martial arts, how to write, and act elegantly for free. What do you mean by additional payment?" he asked while raising one of his eyebrows. He took the calligraphy pen and gave it to you. Ayato stood up and sat beside you so he could assist you. "It is your first time holding a pen? Are you living in the mountains? Relax and hold it like this," he said and he held your hand gently to assist you.

"Alright! I get it. Move," you said as an excuse to shove his hands away from yours. There is a book on your side for you to copy so this wouldn't be hard.