Chapter 20

A/N: Sorry this is rushed bc I want to start writing the next fic rn!! I'm so excited to upload it. I'm already in love with the summary and plot I wrote. This is the last chapter since the epilogue is just ayatoe's point of view. Thank you so much for all your support until the end!!<3

The bed was wide enough for the two of you, that's why there's a huge space between. When Ayato noticed you can't sleep since you kept on changing positions, he closed the gap to give you his warm embrace and stroked his fingers on your hair. The way he brushed your hair with his fingers relaxed you and your mind. You felt your eyes getting tired so you slowly close your eyes. "Please tell me if this is too much for you," he whispered while brushing your hair. 

"Ayato, I'm tired of everyone leaving me after earning my trust. I'm tired of being pressured and forced. It's suffocating," you suddenly opened up to him while your eyes were still closed.

"I admire you for how brave you are to express your emotions and your true self. I love your confidence, commitment, and perseverance," he complimented you genuinely. You were too close to his chest that you can feel it vibrate when he talks. "I've read the novel you wrote. They once told me that a writer's work is a reflection of their own desires. I'm just wondering... are we the main characters from the novel you wrote?"

'Shit. What did I write there?' You panicked so your eyes abruptly opened as you tried to remember what you wrote. "It... depends on how you interpret it." 

"Can I say something? ...to be precise, it's a secret of mine because I'm terrified of being abandoned and judged if they found this out but I don't care anymore. I just realized being secretive would lose the trust of a person and it could distance me from the people I'm close with." He let out a huge sigh and whispered, "So, we have this Inazuman organization which is also under Yashiro Commission. It involves investigation and espionage to gather necessary information related to the safety of the people of Inazuma."

"Is that why you know you my history and background?" you asked as you moved slightly away and looked up at him.

Ayato nodded even though it was too dark for you to see. "Apologies. I can't help it. I was so obsessed with protecting you to the point where I doubt random people who come near you or even just stare at you. I would do anything to protect you but it turns out it was I, who's been hurting you all along. I know I've been violent and harsh those days... but please let me prove this chance to you that I've already changed and I've reflected on my actions."

The room was dark but the luminous moon helped you to look at his eyes with genuine and pure intentions. "I won't fall for those sweet words of yours again, Ayato," you told him seriously with your stoic expression even though you know that his eyes tell the truth and it was full of regret and despair.  

"I know those statements with hatred that I mentioned to you in our arguments were unforgivable and I know that it's not easy to forget those things." He stopped and sighed before continuing what he has always been wanting to say to you ever since you left him. "I'm not asking you to forgive me right away but please let me prove to you this time that I will do better for you, my Precious Sweetheart."

Those endearments gave you those familiar feelings. It was cringe but adorable at the same time. You felt bolts of electricity rushing through your veins which made you flustered even though you tried to hide it with your furrowed eyebrows. Good thing it was too dark for him to notice. "I'm sincerely apologizing. I also did mistakes that make you lose your trust in me because of my unfaithfulness to you-"

"I've already forgiven you before you even apologized to me," he cuts you off as he moved slightly down to equalize his face to yours so you looked down. "I know it was a misunderstanding. You've never been unloyal to me. It was a bit late when I learned about the truth since I jumped to conclusions too fast without listening to Sayu's explanations and observations. I was blinded with anger and jealousy."

'Sayu... Sayu... I once heard Thoma call her name back then but when was that?' Your lips parted as you gasped when you realized. "Sayu?! That child who kept on spying on me?"   

He bit his lips when he realized that he suddenly blurted out her name. "It's getting late. Let's sleep, shall we?"

"You're being secretive again," you mumbled when you realized he changed the topic.

"Some of the identities of my members are highly classified and kept secret from the people of Inazuma. I hope you understand," he responded and continued to brush your hair. The way he massaged your head as he brushed your hair thoroughly with his fingers made you fall asleep as if it was unexplained sorcery. Every stroke he did sends odd shivers and ease of mind to your body. It was gentle and smooth. After a few minutes, he also fell asleep close to you with his chin on top of your head.

From that day, everything started to change. The trust you have for him and the trust he has for you is coming back as well as the spark every time you see him. There's not a single day when he doesn't give you anything. Ayato kept on courting you by giving you flowers he sees along the way. He even talked to Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence to postpone the engagement ceremony since he doesn't want to force you.

Ayato stayed in Mondstadt with you to also court your parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence. He gives them sentimental gifts and he usually offers help. After he gave those gifts to your parents, you approached him to clear things up. Both of you went to the terrace for privacy. It was already night and the outdoor lights are the only thing that lit up the area. "Ayato, you don't have to court my parents. You already got their favor and approval before you even do that."

"I've already told you I won't stop courting you and your parents even if we're already married," he responded as he sat on the chair while pouring the tea into two cups. 

"Aren't you going back yet to Inazuma to look after the Yashiro Commission?" you asked when he gave the cup of tea to you.

He sips on his tea before responding. "Perhaps I would, after our marriage."

When he said that, you pretended to sip on your tea casually to hide your unintentional flustered face. His presence and voice simply made you feel strange things again. 'He's really determined for that to happen,' you pondered. "By the way, I saw Yoimiya with Klee earlier. It would probably cause chaos...Why was she here in Mondstadt?"

"Who knows?" he shrugged. 

After you just asked that, fireworks suddenly lit up the hectic Mondstadt. Those fireworks were so fun and relaxing to watch like it was hypnotizing you so you stood up and went closer to the railing of the terrace and lean on it. This scene feels like it has happened before but this time, it's different. As soon as the strange firework in the dark sky lit up, your eyes widened when you saw his and your initials so you pointed at the sky and looked back at him.

When you looked back while pointing at the sky with your dazed reaction, you couldn't see him at first but your attention was caught by a man kneeling on the floor with his right leg up. "You're the clouds floating above while I'm just a tranquil sea peacefully waiting for something to change the flow and guide my waves. Your wind helped me to reach that precious cloud of yours by my waves. Even though clouds and sea aren't meant to be together, I know we both have our ways to reach for each other. By my waves and by your wind. Will you marry me, my Precious Sweetheart?" he proposed while holding a ring on the box as he tried his best not to stutter.

Your shivering hands covered your mouth out of astonishment. "Fuck, yeah..." you unintendedly cussed beneath your breath. His eyes widened as you see the reflections of the colorful fireworks on his shining light purple eyes. "God... you're so pretty," you complimented him while his trembling hands slowly slid the ring on your finger.

The paper ring he gave you was still on your finger so he just placed the ring beside it. He, then, stood up to hug you tightly. Ayato looked at your lips as the extremely bright fireworks lit up the sky again. He looked at your eyes and back at your lips as if he was asking permission.

You willingly nodded, then the next thing you knew, his lips met yours as another glimmering firework sparked up high. Those sparks were the same as the spark you felt while kissing him under the luminous moon. When both of you slightly parted away, you take a closer look at the ring he gave you. The design was unique and pretty. "Did you... craft this?" you curiously asked.

"I could afford all diamonds and gems in Teyvat but no one could buy the time, patience, effort, commitment, and love I put here while crafting this." He hugged you tightly again and leaned closer to your ear to whisper, "Ai shiteru..."