Chapter 8

Since you don't know if you're a servant or a guest here, you went into the study room to do something productive. As you opened the door, you saw Ayato reading a book while sitting on the cushion in the corner so you slowly backed away since you didn't want to disturb him. It would also be awkward since you don't know how to act in front of him after he confessed to you yesterday. His gaze went to you when he heard the door creaked. "Oh, I'm sorry for disturbing you," you said as you bowed your head slightly.

"No, you didn't disturb me at all," he responded as he closed the book. "Would you mind accompanying me?"

You have nothing to do anyway so you went inside the study room and looked for books on the shelf. After gathering a few books from the shelf, you sat down on the cushion which is neither close to him nor far away from him. Ayato looked at you and gathered the books on his table to transfer them to your table. You looked at him confusedly while he transfer the books. "I would like to be a writer someday like Xingqiu. Do you know what kind of books are best-sellers here in Inazuma?" you asked to break the awkward silence between the two of you.

"Smuts," answered Ayato straightly while his attention is still on the book. Ayato didn't laugh so it means that he's serious. You didn't expect that it would be his answer so the silence became much louder. "You can just write whatever genre you would like to write since writing books with erotic scenes would be... complicated? Also, you don't have to worry about whether your first book would be successful or not."

Your prideful ass couldn't accept his suggestion since you don't want to be underestimated by someone. You took the pen, ink, clean piece of paper, and you started to write. After writing a short story with five hundred words, you proudly gave it to him with a confident smile.

"It was... poorly written. I'm sorry," said Ayato as he gave back the papers to you. "What do you mean simply by 'he kissed her?' You need to be specific about it. You need your readers to know what the woman felt and how he kissed her. Is it passionately? Or is it rough?" he criticized. "And what kind of kiss? Did he stick out his tongue-"

"Then write your own! I don't need your advice. You should have kept it to yourself," you responded as you pushed back the papers away from you and started to read a random book.

After a few minutes, he gave you papers with thousands of words. You didn't expect him to actually take your words seriously. Anyhow, you read what he wrote on the papers. Your eyes widened while your hand is on your mouth while reading the first paragraph because of how detailed the scene is. After reading the last sentence, you looked at him with your eyes still wide open and with your hand still on your mouth. Ayato let out a slight smile and raised both of his eyebrows as he looked at you like he's asking, 'How was it?'

"How the hell are you so good at this? Do you perhaps... read these kinds of stories?" you asked while hiding your lower face with both of your hands so he wouldn't see how flustered you are right now. "Hey! you're probably an experienced one! You already did this to someone, you whore. Who's your first? What's your body count?" you teased.

"No, I haven't done that yet," answered Ayato while his attention is on the book that he was reading. He inserted the bookmark in the book, closed it, and looked at you. "Wanna be my first?"

You gulped while slowly trying to avoid his eyes, not certain of what you felt. The silence lingered in the room for a few minutes and no one dared to speak. You were still too stunned to speak because of what you read from him and also because of what he said. Since you were just pretending to read, you didn't even notice that your book was upside down. Ayato saw you slowly flip the book and he scoffed. "Do you have plans tomorrow?" he asked. "I was just wondering if we could like... go out sometimes?"

"Sure, I don't mind," you responded, trying not to stutter. After you responded, you saw him cover his face with the book that he was reading.

When he was done reading all the books that he collected, he decided to stand up so he could place the books back on the specific shelves. "Actually, it's my birthday tomorrow and I want to spend the day with you," said Ayato while placing the books on the shelf. "I don't really celebrate my birthday since I don't like social gatherings."

The day was spent well. Since you couldn't sleep, you stared at the white ceiling of a dark room for a few minutes. You don't even know why you can't fall asleep and you already tried all the possible positions but nothing succeed so you got up and decided to take a walk. Everyone was already asleep and the hallway was quiet but there are still bright lights lit up in the hallway. As you turned direction, the lights in this aisle were flickering and after a few seconds, the lights suddenly turned off so you couldn't see the hallway clearly.

The only thing that helps you to see where you were going is the moonlight shining through the wide-open windows with the curtain dancing along with the cold wind. As you turned in another direction, you saw a silhouette of a man standing on the balcony while leaning on the railing. You crossed your arms as the cold breeze coming in through the window touches your skin.

As you were supposed to head back, the clock from behind you rang as it hits 12 so you saw the silhouette of the man turned around to you. The fireworks began to show in the sky. He was against the light but you can still his face every time the fireworks lit up. Ayato could see his reflection in your eyes as well as the colorful fireworks. He was looking directly at your eyes while your attention was all in the fireworks. "I didn't want to disturb you from sleeping so I just went here alone to witness the fireworks," he said as he turned around to lean back on the railing.

You also walked forward to lean on the railing to get a better view of the fireworks. "Happy Birthday... I guess?" you uncertainly greeted him.

"Hey," he called you as he looked at you while both of you are still leaning on the railing, looking up in the sky. "Do you at least... find me good-looking?

When he said that, you looked at him in the eyes. He was a bit close to you so you looked down and avoided his eyes while he is still looking at you. "Yes, I think?" you unsurely said.

"You're not sure?" asked Ayato so you hesitantly nodded while avoiding his eyes. "Well, do I have like... a chance to win your heart?" It was pure silence. You didn't know what to answer because you were also confused. Ayato turned his back to prepare a cup of tea for you. "Good thing I brought two cups and tea bags here on the balcony," he said to change the topic so you wouldn't feel pressured for his question.

"What if I say that you don't have a chance?" you suddenly asked. "Will you cut ties with me and stop courting me?"

"I won't stop courting you even if we get married soon," responded Ayato. "I will court you even if we're already in a relationship."

You didn't expect those answers from him since you thought that he would stop courting you. "Is that how much you love me?" you scoffed to lighten up the mood because he looks so serious.

"Yes, I'm serious about this," he said as the last firework lit up in the sky, allowing you to see his face clearly. Ayato picked up the cups and gave one to you which you accepted. He stirred his tea before drinking. "I want to meet your parents again."

"Again? Have you met them before?" you asked after drinking the tea. "What would you do?"

"Of course, I will also court them."

After he said that, you bite the insides of your cheeks to stop you from smiling as you look away from him. 'Oh boy, this is bad,' you said in your thoughts, knowing that you're slowly starting to catch feelings for him.

A/N: Do you guys want to read what Ayato wrote?