Chapter 9

TW: Harsh words???

You really thought both of you were going outside to celebrate his birthday for the whole day but after trying a few famous restaurants in Inazuma city, both of you headed to the estate. Since you have no other plans in the afternoon, you have decided to go to Liyue so you could talk with your parents. You were currently waiting for him in the study room because he said that he wanted to play chess with you.

Before you could talk about your trip to Liyue as soon as he entered the study room, he dashed to you with excitement in his eyes. "Can I try this on you? Ayaka gave this to me as a gift," asked Ayato while opening the box of an eyeliner. You don't mind letting him try the eyeliner on you so you nodded and watch him open the box. Ayato lifted your chin and said to close your eyes. You did what he said. After he finished putting it on, you opened your eyes and saw him looking at your eyes with amusement like a child.

"I'm planning to go to Liyue later after lunch," you said that made the smile on his face fade quickly. "I would appreciate it if you don't come with me since it's about... personal matters."

"You said that you don't have plans today."

Ayato sounded upset so you felt bad about it. Since today is Sunday and your parents were probably only free this day, you already have decided to meet them because you can't wait for another week in order to meet them. "I'm really sorry," you apologized as you held his arms while he puts the eyeliner back in the box.

"I hate people breaking promises," whispered Ayato but you clearly heard him so your eyes widened and leaned closer to him to see if he is mad. Ayato's eyes slightly widened as he realized that he said his thoughts out loud so he looked at you with a warm smile. "Can I at least take you at Ritou?" asked Ayato. "I can also pick you up at Ritou after."

"O-of course," you stuttered as you looked at his face, trying to see if there was a streak of disappointment in his eyes.

After playing chess with him for a bit and eating lunch, you went into your room to fix the things that you were going to bring. Since meeting and talking with your parents will only take a few hours, you didn't bring a lot of luggage. It was a hassle to travel back and forth and you realized that being a traveler is tiring. As soon as you were done fixing your things, you went out and looked for him waiting outside the estate.

When he saw you, his eyebrows slightly furrowed because he noticed that you took off the eyeliner that he did to your eyes. Ayato is really easy to read. Even though he won't say anything, you can immediately know what's wrong because of his obvious reactions and behavior. "Hey, aren't you afraid that I might vanish again and never come back here in Inazuma?" you asked while walking with him in Chinju Forest. You can't help yourself from asking him this question because you're not certain if your mother will let you go out again if she heard from you that you don't want to be married for now since you're still young.

"I trust you. I know you will come back since you didn't bring a lot of baggage," answered Ayato while kicking the rocks that are in front of him. "And besides, I can find you anywhere you go."

"You're talking like a stalker right now," you joked to lighten up the mood.

Before the ship sails, you leaned on the railings of the ship while smiling and looking at him until you can't see him anymore as the fog started to thickens. As you can't see Ritou anymore, you turned around and leaned on the railings while looking up in the clouds as the wind goes along with the waves. While staring at the sea waves, you can't help but think about why you were starting to feel like you are slowly getting attached to him.

As the ship landed, you sighed and went to the manor where you used to live. You tried to recall the way because you're starting to forget the direction since you were not good at memorizing streets. Fortunately, you successfully found your way home. The servants recognized you and greeted you as you went inside. When you saw your mother's office, you knocked on her door twice and turned the doorknob immediately even though you still haven't heard for her approval.

"Why didn't you tell me about the arranged marriage earlier?" you asked straightly to the point.

"Ah, my daughter has finally decided to come home," she started as she placed down your pen and looked at you. "You have no right to decline the arranged marriage. You don't even have a vision and you're a burden to this family. Honestly, what are your roles and responsibilities?"

"Stop insulting me for fuck's sake and answer the damn question!"

Your mother's eyes widened as her eyebrows furrowed when she heard you. She stood up and heavily hit your face with a palm of her open hands. You felt your right face sting and you suddenly lose balance because of the impact. She grasped your hair so you could forcefully look into her raging eyes. "Where's your manner? To whom did you learn this kind of behavior?" she asked while still grasping your hair.

"From you," you hesitantly whispered under your breathe.

Because of what you said, you receive another hit from your mother. It was much worse this time. "Marrying is easier. That's just the bare minimum you could do to help this family. Don't be such a fool like your dad and listen to me," she whispered as her hand grasping your hair started to loosen. She quickly changed her attitude and smiled while caressing your cheeks and brushing your hair with her hand.

It was a few months ago since Ayato last cut your nails. You dug your nails on her arm which is brushing your hair and pushed her away. "Don't bring up Dad about this. You should have been the one who died, you cheater! YOU NEVER DID SOMETHING RIGHT AFTER HE DIED," your voice started to rise.

"Raising you is such a mistake. YOU are a mistake," your mother emphasized before you slowly stepped back as your tears began to fall.

You didn't know where your feet bring you but you're aware that you're back in Inazuma. Even though you don't even drink, you bought a few alcohols in Ritou so you could forget what she said like how Ayato forgets everything that has happened after drowning himself in alcohol. You kept on tripping on the rocks and obstacles but you can't even feel the physical pain. The stain on your clothes became worse because of the mud since you kept on falling and your clothes were already soaked. You are such a mess right now. While focusing your sight on the river flowing right in front of your face, your attention was caught by the white shoes from a man standing in front of you. Everything kept on repeating. You felt like this has happened before.

He offered his hand but you ignore it so he held your shoulder and helped you stand up. Ayato hugged you tightly, not minding how messy you are right now. His warmth and presence made you feel like it is safe to cry on his shoulders so you burst into tears and cried loudly like a child, letting out your sadness and anger. He didn't say anything and just let you cry on his shoulders for a few minutes. After you calmed down, he started to initiate the conversation.

"What happened?" he asked. Your lips were still shivering so you bite your lips. You were still hyperventilating and still trying to catch your breath so you covered your mouth, thinking that it would stop you from breathing so heavily. Ayato took your hand away from your mouth and hugged you again tightly as he placed his hand on the back of your head. "I don't want to see you crying. Would you mind telling me what happened?"

"I... want more alcohol," you responded in between of your breathes.

"I'm sorry I can't-"

"Please..."

Ayato brought you to the estate and bought alcohol even though he doesn't want you to drink more. You were waiting for him in your room while sitting on the floor as your face was dug on your bed. He knocked twice and opened the door to give you the alcohols that you wanted on the floor beside you. Ayato wanted to give you space so he was supposed to leave but you grabbed his wrist which made him sit on the floor.

"Thoma, will you please marry me already?" you asked trying to avoid his eyes.

As soon as Ayato heard you, he stopped and sat there looking at you with his furrowed eyebrows, trying to prevent himself from crying so he gulped and looked up. He, then, looked down at your hands holding his.

"I'm not Thoma," answered Ayato, trying not to crack his voice.

A/N: We need to hurt the MC for the plot srry lmao