Chapter 4

Fortunately, you successfully hide the crime you did because you just simply threw the cushion away and replaced it with another cushion you saw from the other set of chabudai tables. Ayato was too dumbed to realize that the cushion from the other table was missing. The next day, both of you were in the study room again. "It hurts so bad. Give me a day off. I don't think I can handle this," you said as you hold your lower abdomen to caressed it. "Make it stop, please," you begged the archons.

"I would if I could," responded Ayato while doing his own business beside you.

"You will? How? Do you guys have pills or something?" you asked while not looking at him.

"Though I could only stop the pain for nine months."

You looked at him with concern in your eyes wide open. "You- I'M SORRY, WHAT?" you said as your eye twitched. A lot of embarrassing scenes suddenly show up in your thoughts like a film playing in your mind. You felt your cheeks become warm so you annoyingly squinted your eyes and gave him a disgusting gaze. 'How dare he mention such inappropriate words. I never thought he has a side like this.'

"Are you willing to extend the Kamisato clan?"

"No! fuck off, Ayato," you responded and turned your attention to the scroll but he suddenly grabbed your jaw firmly and faced it to him.

His face was so close to you that you felt suffocated. "You and that foul mouth of yours," he muttered while staring at your mouth. "Sorry, my apologies for my inappropriate behavior. I don't want to hear you mention my name alone."

You know that was your time to embarrass him so you lifted your eyebrow and the side of your mouth raised as you asked, "Hmm? Want me to moan to it?"

Ayato harshly shoved your face and went back to his work without comment. Even though he tried to hide his face with his knuckles on his temple, you can clearly see how red he is right now. You went back to your work and continued where you left off but the words you just said a while ago echoed in your thoughts. The silence was so loud that you can't bear it but the echoing thoughts is much louder.

It was like a daily routine for you to have time with him. The writing session was already over and he said that he will train you to handle a sword and a bow in the morning before you do the other household chores. You sometimes meet Thoma in the hallway, walking down the aisle but you two can only give each other quick glances. No one initiates to talk first but you felt like it's better for him to give a space even though you're not sure if both of you are on good terms.   

The ray of the sun woke you up from a deep sleep. It was perfect weather to relax and read novels in your free time this day since today is Saturday, anyway. While brushing your hair and looking in the mirror, you look at the side of it and saw the calendar that Friday hasn't crossed out yet. You did a double-take to surely convinced yourself that you're not mistaken. It wasn't Saturday yet. You ran down the hallway as fast as you can and apologized to everyone you bumped into. Then, you saw Ayato waiting for you with his disappointed face outside as bits of rays of sunrise touches her face.

"What took you so long?" asked Ayato while his arms are folded on his chest.

It was so hot because you forgot to tie your hair before going downstairs. You didn't bother to answer him because you were trying to catch your breath. The hair strands were sticking on your nape and collar bone so you brushed your hair with your hands away from your face. You quickly grabbed the bow, resting on the table, and position yourself before the line.

You have been practicing this for a few weeks now so you are a bit used to it. Archery required focus and balance which you struggled with at first but after a few days, you always successfully hit the target. Ayato tried to train you how to handle a sword first since he also uses a sword but it seemed like using a bow suited you despite archery being the hardest weapon to handle. 

After stretching your arms and shoulder, you keep a relaxed grip on the bow handle and position the fingers on the string with the index finger above the arrow. While drawing back the string, you felt a ticklish sensation on your neck which made both of your shoulders flinch a bit and gave you goosebumps as Ayato gathered all your hair to tie it. Your hands started to quiver as you gulped, trying to focus but you suddenly felt like the target started to feel so far away from you. After a minute, you regained your attention and focused your sight on the target.  

"Good girl," he complimented you while patting your head gently after you hit the target three times in a row.

"STOP."

"Hmm?" he asked innocently. As soon as you hit another target five times in a row, he complimented you again. "Good dog."

"I beg your pardon?" you asked firmly as you finally looked at him with rage in your eyes.

"I never thought you'd be good at something," said Ayato. He left you dumbfounded for kissing your forehead since that is how their parents show they're proud of them when they were young and also, he does it to Ayaka too. Your sight followed him as he walks away from you so he could sit and watch you. You tried to get to your senses and looked at the target, trying your best not to disappoint him but as soon as you draw your arrow, you felt like you can't feel your arms. 

He stood up and held your waist up to your arms, trying to avoid touching the sides of your chest to assist you and to help you steady your arms when he saw you trembling. "Relax. I can hear your heart beating," he whispered as you can feel his warm breath on your neck which didn't help for you to steady your arms and focus on the target. Suddenly, Thoma came so you immediately stepped away from Ayato and placed down the bow.

"My Lord, sorry to interrupt but Lady Ayaka needs you for an important matter," announced Thoma after bowing.

As soon as Ayato left, you felt like you'd been holding your breath for a long time. You cleaned the area and placed the bows and arrows on the storage from where they belonged while Thoma hasn't left yet. As you were supposed to get passed through him, he held your wrist and started to initiate the conversation. Both of you haven't talked for weeks properly because you felt like it would be better to give him space.

"What is your relationship with him?"

"I'm his servant," you answered straightly.

"I want you to leave," responded Thoma while still holding your wrist. You looked at both of his dull viridescent green eyes, trying to find out whether he is serious or not. "I'm the second to the highest position. I can't afford to lose it from someone who just came here a few weeks ago."

You slowly took off his hands away from your wrist. 'So, he thought that this whole thing is a competition? I can't leave just yet. I'm doing this because of him. I wanted to prove that I am not a burden and failure. Isn't he proud of me?' your thoughts that you couldn't say out loud. "Then, what do you want me to do? Avoid him?"

"I want you to leave," he answered without emotions in his eyes.

"Thoma, I can't- I don't want to leave. I will just avoid him instead... sometimes?" you hesitated to answer as you held his hand firmly with both of your hands. He looked down at you without showing any consideration before he turned his back. "Can you at least tell me why you hated me that much?" you asked and you gripped the back of his shirt to stop him from going away but he shoved your hands away. "THOMA, you can't just leave me hanging here. At least, give me answers! You were my first friend. Why can't we be just close to each other again like we used to be back then?"

"I never treated you as a friend."