Prologue - II

As usual, Ayato is busy signing the papers on his table which you have no single idea what was written on it but even though he's quite occupied, you're always by his side accompanying him since he lets you stay in his office as long as you're not disturbing him. Both of you somewhat enjoyed the presence of each other even though the room is always pure silence. It's like a date every day. While he is working at the desk, sometimes you spend your time reading or writing a light novel beside him.

As soon as you finished another story, you closed the book and looked at him in his usual position. Your attention was caught by his left hand on the table. You slowly reached for his hand and intertwined both of your hands together. Since you have nothing to do, you've decided to take off his gloves and massage his hand which he doesn't mind.

It was your first time looking at his bare hand this close. His fingers were long and slim and his overall hand size was a huge difference from yours. 'You have pretty hands. I wonder what else could those pretty hands do.' Your eyes widened when you just realized what you said in your thoughts so immediately looked at him. To your surprise, he is also looking at you so you get anxious, thinking that he might read your thoughts.

"Do you sometimes find Thoma cute? I mean he looks pretty and nice. Why don't we try to be in a poly relationship with him?" you joked out of the blue while massaging his hand.

"I will tell this to you only once," he responded seriously as he looked at both of your eyes. "I don't like sharing what's mine."

'Damn, I was just joking...?'

Before the day ended, both of you spent the afternoon in Inazuma city. Even though Ayato still has a lot of things to do, he still did his best to manage his time so he could spend the whole afternoon with you. It has been a few weeks since you last walked for a long time so your legs hurt easily and both of you ended up going back home early. You took a bath and buttoned your sleepwear before flopping on the comfy bed.

When the both of you arrived back at the estate, Ayato directly went back to his office so you just waited for him on the bed as you read the few novels you bought a while ago. Since you noticed that he was taking so long to take a rest, you've decided to go into his office. As soon as you knocked three times and waited for half a minute, no one answered so you knocked once again before turning the doorknob.

No one was inside the room but his things are still all over the desk so it means that he was not yet done since he usually emptied and organized his table after work. You know he already warned you not to look and read what was written on the papers and letters but your curiosity is killing you. You slowly put down the novel on the floor so if ever he comes back, you will get the novel on the floor, pretending that you accidentally dropped it.

"Can I trust you for not reading those once again? Hm?" A familiar voice came out of nowhere as he held your waist with both of his hands to move you away lightly from his desk.

You looked at him with concern in your eyes. "Is it really that confidential? I just want to help."

"I have a few final things to accomplish. You should get some sleep and don't wait for me," he responded with a warm smile so you smiled back at him and nodded before getting the novel you purposely dropped on the floor.

As soon as you entered the room, you directly flopped onto the bed and buried your face in the pillow to hide your blushing face, still thinking of how he held your waist a while ago. You fell asleep in that position so you suddenly woke up in the middle of the night because you can't breathe properly since your face is still buried in the pillow. The first thing you saw was him, sleeping beside you on your right side.

His face was ethereal and perfect. You gently moved his hair away from his face with your anemo skill so you won't wake him up. While he was sleeping, you tried to braid the side of his hair without waking him. Your hands stopped from braiding his hair when you realized his hands were trembling as well as his legs. You panicked and held his cold hands as you checked his temperature through his forehead and neck.

When his eyes finally opened widely, he got up suddenly and so did you. Ayato hugged you tightly as if you were going to leave him. His hands grasp your arm and the back of your head tightens every second so you try to push him away. "Hold on. Don't... let go. You're not going to leave me, are you?" he mumbled. You felt his warm embrace slowly turn into anger as you felt his nails dug into your skin as well as his grasp on your hair.

Even though he was harshly hugging you, your shivering hand tried to find its way to caress his back and his hair. "Was it a nightmare? Do you want to talk about it?" you asked as you endured the pain from him. His grip on your arm and hair loosen when he was calmed by your presence and voice.

You slowly let him lay on the bed without letting go of him. "I'm not in a mood to go back to sleep in the meantime," whispered Ayato.

"You're having these nightmares because you're stressed," you explained.

He sighed and said, "That felt so real..."

"What was it all about?"

Ayato stayed quiet so you looked closely at him and found him already sleeping peacefully so you intertwined your hand with his before closing your eyes to go back to sleep too. When you opened your eyes, the sun greeted you. Ayato was not beside you as usual since he always gets up earlier than you.

"Morning! My Lord went somewhere he didn't mention," greeted Thoma in the hallway when he saw you. "Breakfast is ready. Do you want me to heat it?"

You nodded and thanked him as you walked with him. As days go by, you notice Ayato becomes busier and always attends meetings. He sometimes goes home just to sleep, then wakes up early in the morning. Ayato also mentioned to you before that he doesn't want to show himself usually in public so Ayaka was always the one who volunteers for the clan's external and internal affairs or appointments.

One night, you tried not to fall asleep to wait for him. When Ayato entered the room, he took off his coat and hung it on the wall. "Ayato," you called his name. "Wasn't Ayaka supposed to be responsible for the meetings and other external matters about the Yashiro commissions? May I know why you're the one attending those? Can I help you with that?"

"Can we talk tomorrow, instead?" he politely asked, then he kissed your forehead and lay on the bed without waiting for your answer. Morning came but as usual, Ayato was not beside you. He was also not in his office so you waited for him again. While waiting for him, you continue to write the light novel so you can finish it and send it to Yae Publishing House. When Ayato came home, you put your things aside and helped him take off his coat.

"Have you eaten dinner?" you asked but instead of answering you, he kissed your forehead again before going to sleep. "Ayato, you told me yesterday we're going to talk today."

"We can talk tomorrow morning. I'm sorry. I love you."

"Are you free all day tomorrow? It's the weekend anyway. I'm almost finished writing my fantasy novel. Let's send these chapters together tomorrow. Thoma proofread it for me. He told me it has a unique plot and it's exciting. Do you want to read them? Or do you want me to read it for you? Ayato, how was your day? We can go out all day tomorrow, right? Are you free?" you asked him continuously.

Ayato didn't respond so you turned off the lights and lay beside him. "You're not free all day tomorrow, right? Well, it's fine! As long as you're going to read my novel after. I can send it to Yae Publishing House by myself. Promise me you will read it!" you said with excitement but you didn't get any response from him and it was just pure silence. "I take that as a yes. Hopefully, I can finish this tomorrow. I can't wait to send it tomorrow-"

"I'm afraid I have to refuse. You can't go out tomorrow by yourself," he cut you off.

"Right! You're going with me," you said as you moved his hair away from his face and kissed his forehead. "You're... going with me, right?"

End of Prologue - II: Impact of His Nightmare

A/N: This was supposed to be a whole fluff chapter but my Spotify playlist suddenly changed into sad songs ??

I wanted to add the chapter titles after so I won't spoil y'all.