Chapter 17

Since you're tired physically and emotionally because of what had happened these past few days, you have decided to go back to the manor in Liyue to pay a visit to Xingqiu. It's been so long since you last met him. Too bad, you didn't bring your novels so he couldn't read all those masterpieces you did. While walking in Liyue, you felt nostalgic as you looked at the same old place. Even though it was already night, the city lights still give spark and joy in the streets. Liyue felt like home but it felt like you're still longing for someone.

Even though your father left you forever, you still feel like he's alive waiting for you to come home again. As soon as you stopped in front of the manor, you unexpectedly met Xingqiu, going out of the manor. He was reading a book while walking so he didn't notice you. "Xingqiu! How was your novel so far? It's nice meeting you again. Did you grow taller?" you greeted him as you tried to look at what he was reading.

"I have... important news for you," he stated as he closed the book to face you. "It was so sudden but your mother died just last week." When Xingqiu said that, you honestly don't know what to feel but regret was the only thing in your mind. It was too late to apologize for what you did and said to her. Even though you can't deny that you're mad at her sometimes, there's still a feeling of regret that you didn't have a chance to meet her for the last time but it was already too late.

"Why didn't you send me a letter when I was in Inazuma?" you asked him calmly.

He sighed and started to walk so you followed him. "I didn't exactly know about your whereabouts," responded Xingqiu. "Also...we are not really related. The marriage contract was a fraud. We just realized that it was a fraud when she already died. Your mother did that so you could marry a nobleman from a wealthy family. She basically used us and our surname... but well, at least you're not going to be forced to marry someone, right?"

You stood there, still trying to understand what he said. "Wait... we're not related? How is the marriage contract not real? There's no reason to fake it. I need proof. I need a lawyer. Where's Yanfei?" When you realized something, you stopped walking and so did he. Xingqiu looked at you and waited for you to speak. "If ever we're not related, then does that mean you're going to leave me too?"

Xingqiu looked away and started to walk again. "I could still be your acquaintance and-"

"Just an acquaintance? So, you're telling me I'm not going to live in the manor anymore?" You walked faster and stopped in front of him as you held both of his shoulders. His eyes widened because of your sudden unusual behavior. "Xingqiu, I have nothing left! I have nowhere to go. I don't have a home... I don't even know my relatives-"

"Perhaps, these spare mora I have could help you."

When he said that, you realized how pathetic you are so you let go of his shoulders and stood properly. "Sorry for my unpleasant behavior. That was... quite disrespectful of me."

"You could have a talk with Hu Tao, the director of Wangshen Funeral Parlor if you have questions about the whereabouts of your mother."

"Thank you." You look down, not knowing where to go. 'I don't have a residence. I don't have any belongings. I don't even have a birth certificate. Am I still existing in this world? Everyone left me already. My parents, Ayato, Xingqiu...' you stopped overthinking when you realized that there's still a friend that would gladly welcome and help you. 'It was Thoma... but why is he here in Liyue this late-night?'

Thoma was talking to a man with a long dark brown tailcoat. 'His elegance, sharp eyes, and stern expression remind you of someone. The way he holds his tea and the way he wipes off the excess debris on the side of his lips is too formal and neat like how Ayato did-' You stopped thinking when you realized what you just thought of so you looked away. 'Why does everything reminds me of him now?'

"Do you perhaps know that woman who's been staring at me for a while now?" the man asked Thoma which you also heard so you panicked and walked in a different direction.

"Ah... that woman. We met once. She's a friend of mine. Right, comrade?! I know you can hear me and you're eavesdropping on our conversation!" he said confidently without looking in your direction. Your eyes widened when you realized that it was not Thoma. It was that ginger. "Come and join us. It's my treat!" Childe looked in your direction when you didn't go closer. "Why? Are you shy?"

"You nearly killed me and now, you're casually inviting me to have dinner with you?" When you said that, the man in front of Childe choked on his tea.

Childe faked his cough and stood up to pull you closer to the table. "You don't have to tell the whole world about that. It's not that serious. At least, you are alive and breathing until now," he whispered to you as he forced you to sit down. You looked at him with annoyance and full of hatred. Your sight went down on his hips where his hydro vision is located. "Excuse me, young lady. Your eyes are wandering around. What are you looking down there?"

'Oh, he also has hydro vision. Ayato... Xingqiu... they all left me. I bet he's going to leave me too so I shouldn't let myself be close to him,' you can't help but ponder to yourself.

"His name's Zhongli if you're wondering." Childe introduced him when you looked back at the mysterious man. Zhongli gave you a smile so you awkwardly smiled back at him.

"Cool thanks, I'm not here to be close with you, Childe so if you will excuse me..." You stood up but Childe quickly grabbed your arm to pull you down on your seat again.

He sighed before talking. "If you're still mad because of what I did, then I'm deeply sorry. I genuinely mean it."

"I only accept apologies through mora," you said so Childe took out his mora from his pocket and gave it to you without hesitating. 'This is why I hate wealthy people. They all can solve anything with their money. It's unfair.' You accepted the bag of mora and gave him a wide smile as your mood suddenly changed. The three of you ended up talking with each other without awkwardness. It was a fun and long night. You've never laughed genuinely so loud like this before. It's like you instantly forgot all the misery and problems in your life.

'I can't believe I'm laughing and talking with the man who almost killed me.' Zhongli doesn't seem like a man who would laugh hysterically. He's too hard to make him laugh. He's too serious and mysterious. When midnight already hit, you noticed the vendors and shops started to close and the street went quiet so it's too embarrassing to be noisy now.

Since Zhongli has been yawning for a while now, he thanked the both of you for the time and moments. You said your farewell with him and Childe before you parted ways with them but it seems like you're walking in the same direction where Childe is going so it's a bit awkward since you've already said goodbye to him. When you realized you have nothing to go home to, you stopped walking and turned into a different direction so Childe won't know that you're homeless.

As soon as you turned in a different direction again, you realized that it was a dead end so you turned around and pretended Childe wasn't there. It seems like you've already wandered around Liyue city but you still haven't passed through Childe's house since he's still walking beside you in the same direction. "Hey, are you on patrol today? Just tell me you don't have a home so I could help you. We're friends after all," he said after yawning.

"Thanks for your offer but I refuse to sleep with you."

"Huh? What are you thinking about?" he asked incredulously. "Yes, I can't deny you have the looks but you're not my type. Ha! As if." Childe held your sleeves lightly to pull you. "Come, follow me. I know an inn here in Liyue city." When the both of you entered the inn registrar, he did the talking with the woman, then he took another bag of mora to give it to the cashier. You felt guilty when he did that since he already gave you mora a while ago.

Before you parted ways with him, you held his arm and looked at him with fear and confusion in your eyes. "Tell me, why are you suddenly so kind to me? Is it because you feel guilty of what you did?" You sighed. "Your mora can't hide the wrongdoing you did to me. I can still sue you. I don't trust you, Childe."

"Oh, is that so? Are you sure about that?" He crossed his arms on his chest. "Justice is for wealthy people only. I'm afraid no one would listen and believe you. Sorry but that's the truth."

End of Chapter 17: Back in Liyue

A/N: No ayatoe in this chapter. How strange. He dead af

I accidentally slept yesterday srry