Chapter 18: the overworld

a/n: this is off hiatus, yay!

Tw: mention of exile, abandonment, people hunting

-Bad pov, 23 years in the past-

Everything.

Leads.

Back.

To.

The.

Exile.

 "Hey, you're staring at nothing? You look like one of those super sensitive bad boys, Halo."

 "Hm, BadBoyHalo." I look at Skeppy.

 "You're funny, Halo, you know that?" He smiles.

 "Don't call me that."

 "I thought it was your name?"

 "Not anymore it isn't."

 "What do you mean? Did I do something wrong?" He looks hurt.

 "No, I- it's just- I'll explain later."

 "Alright, what should I call you instead?"

 "What about Bad?"

 "You want to adopt that as your name?"

 "Why not? It works."

 "Sure. Anyway, H- BAD, the tea's ready." Skeppy pours it out into small rubber travel cups, sets them down, and sits on the log opposite me. I take a sip of mine.

 "Nice house."

"Thanks." More and more Overcommon is coming back to me now.

"So. Forgive my prying, but what's with the baby?"

"Like I said, I'm from the Void. Our family take an oath to protect the Overworld and Nether from it, by patching holes in the bedrock."

"Holes? In bedrock? Not possible."

"They are, and if you've never seen one then I've done a good job."

"Hm."

❗tw for abandonment❗"Sapnap fell into a void hole- or rather, was dropped- and was dying. I saved it by bringing it home, but it didn't go down well at all."

"How'd you end up here? And where does the End fit into all of this?"

"The End is in the void, far west of my old home. And note what I said about the baby not going down well?"

"Yeah?"

❗tw for exile❗"Long story short, my father exiled me yesterday, I ended up here, and voila."

"YESTERDAY?" Skeppy whisper-yells. "I thought you'd been here a while!"

 "Nope. That's why the house has no windows."

 "I never noticed."

 "What's your story?"

 "I used to live in a big city, with my family and friends. When I was six, my diamond side started showing. It started with a bandage and long sleeves to cover it, but eventually it was too much to hide. We moved to the wilderness."

❗tw for people hunting❗"A few weeks ago, my family (who are all also half diamond, but it manifested in less noticeable ways) were all hunted down."

"I escaped, and since then have been camping out. Never staying much of anywhere. Here though, I might be safe. It's very remote, no paths, no nothing." Skeppy gazes out of the lack of window.

 "I'm so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine-"

❗tw for exile❗ "We both have a bad lot, a boundary to our families. You, an exile. Me, the fact of death. It's how it goes."