Chapter 33: divine

Tw: near death experience (NDE) [whole chapter], hospital imagery (warned)

a/n: writing angst when you're actually happy is so much harder- I have a crush and HOLY SHIT I'M SO GAY FOR THIS PERSON OMLLLL like I made a Spotify playlist for them and everything and they made me loom band bracelets and they let me be who I am and I should really start writing the chapter now -

🎵🎶This Chapter's Song: Meteor Shower by Cavetown

-Quackity pov, the present-

There is nothing.

There is darkness.

There is a woman.

She's scarily familiar. Like I see her often.

She stands, running a slender finger up the blade of a beautifully ornate scythe.

I can't, however, place who she is.

She has the most beautiful wings I've ever seen. Her eyes seem to glow with a deathly effervescence. Her hair is long and flows like liquid obsidian, and her night-coloured dress reminds me of that of an Ancient Mizian goddess. Her skin shines like bone, radiant, yet imposing. She seems motherly, yet sinister. Kind, yet cruel. It feels like she could hug me as soon as snap my neck. 

An assortment of charms hang from the brim of her hat, most of them wards or magical symbols of the end of life.

This woman is the Goddess of Death.

Yet, something feels missing.

I know something else about her.

A flash of red is among the charms.

A heart.

It clicks.

"...Kristen?" I murmur. Yet, in this darkness, she hears.

She slices her finger on the end of the scythe.

"Quackity?" She asks. 

"Yeah... " I'm dumbfounded.

A long scroll materializes. "This isn't right. It's not your time yet. Why are you here?"

"I could ask the same of you."

"I'm doing my job. But how... How did you get here?"

"... No." I bow my head. 

"It says here... Lethal Battery and Malnourishment. You've been missing for a month, Quack. A MONTH. It doesn't take a detective."

I turn away.

"Quack, I have to send you home. But given that you figured me out, I'll give you three questions."

"One. Is this my Afterlife?"

"No. This is Purgatory. Souls wait here until I can pick them up and take them."

"Two. Does this mean that you and Phil are in fact the Mizian Gods of Death and Life?"

"Yeah. We hated each other at first, when Prime created us from the Primeval. After all, the harder he worked, the harder I did; every hero, every noble, and every commoner he worked on I had to take from him in about 80 years, give or take. Over time, we realised that he was dependent on me, and me him. We assumed mortal forms, and, well, you know... You've met my boys. The Gods of Blood and Music, and the twin Gods of Friendship and Fraternity." 

I laughed, thinking of the chaos that was Fundy's father and uncles. "Yeah, I have." 

 "Oh, and yes. Fundy, Shroud and Michael are demi-gods."