Chapter 21: no.

(a/n: I am so sorry for that last chapter. It gets better, don't panic! :D)

Tw: panic attack (warned)

- Quack pov, the present -

 "Hey, hey. It's alright." I am crying on the floor of somewhere. Someone is comforting me. Two someones.

My someones.

I touch my closed right eye. Normal. 

My nose. Normal.

My head. Normal, short-haired.

Sapnap is rubbing small circles into my back, between my fully curled wings. Karl is on the other side of me, his arm around me, telling me it's okay.

I want to cry, but I already am. 

The broken mug has long since been swept up and presumably thrown away, and the cafe closed to the public for now. This cafe owner values privacy over financial gain, it seems.

There was one other customer in the cafe when all the chaos happened, who has left.

I try to stop thinking about the aftermath of what happened, and just focus on the now.

 "It's okay." Karl murmurs. "It's gonna be fine." 

 "I'm sorry..." 

 "There's nothing to apologise for." Sapnap says.

I wish I could say he's right.

- 3rd person pov, the present -

A man signs papers with angry conviction.

The small and helpless opposition stand in front of him.

They try to stop him but hold themselves back at the same time.

Threatening with a question mark.

He continues signing the papers.

With a flourish guaranteed to kill, but not in the way you'd expect, he signs them.

With a quick, sleek motion, his assistant takes the papers to where they need to go.

The assistant walks down corridors, up stairs. Carrying death, in a legible form. Notably, on the papers, there is marked:

FOHP.

"The FOHP, as an organisation, will recieve government start-up aid from: L'Manburg, Snowchester, ⬛⬛⬛ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛    ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛"

"The core values of the FOHP are: Purity, Hope, Equality, and Life as Prime Intended through ⬛⬛⬛   ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛"

"The following document allows the FOHP to, without consequence: ⬛⬛⬛⬛    ⬛⬛⬛   ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛     ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛, '⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛     ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛' referring to any creature classified under the Species Rights Act of 1997." 

And at the very bottom, in small print:

 "FOHP refers to the Federation for Optimum Human Purity."

 - Quack pov, the present -

We were home, it was 3:30 PM and I was tired and achy. My chest hurt, not because of unsafe binding for once- but because I'd been gasp-crying for a while and binders don't tend to give you a lot of leeway when you're crying and trying to actually consume oxygen at the same time.

I ran upstairs, took off my binder as soon as I could, and weighed up what had happened. 

Not a good thing, that's for sure.