24: Left Right

"Left, right, you been here before." - XG

A Z A R I A H D' A M O R E

"We're gonna miss you bud," Jake says, throwing his arm around my shoulders as we walk to his apartment. "Can't believe you're going to Princeton, can't say I'm proud of you man." He says rubbing the top of my head before letting go and dapping up Kylo.

It's great getting this support from a teammate other than Kylo. Obviously, I had to tell the rest of my team and they supported me. Said they were happy but sad that they'd have to compete against me instead of with me.

Kylo daps me up and pulls me in for a hug. "How's my favorite co-captain?" He smiles with his eyes.

"Great," I reply.

"Yo, I'm inviting the rest of the team for a last gathering-party type thing," Jake says typing on his phone. "You cool with that?"

"Yeah."

"You don't sound so sure," he says looking up. "Are you sure? We don't have to."

I shake my head, "Come on Jake, just do it. It'll be our last." I walk over and give him a knuckle sandwich to the head. "It'll be fine, I need some excitement before I go."

Jake and Kylo laugh as Jake escapes from my arms and steps out into the porch to call a few other people. Kylo is already halfway out the door before stopping and looking at me.

He walks back inside and takes off his shoes once more, "Sorry... I'm just excited to go see Bear." Kylo scratches the back of his head before he gives me a hug. "Here's our daily hug." Again he smiles with his eyes like he always does. He turned softer.

"Go," I usher him back out the door. He stumbles to re-put his shoes back on. "Go see Lina." I roll my eyes, laughing.

After he puts his shoes on, he stands up straight and slumps his shoulders, and sighs. His eyes watch my facial expression.

Kylo grabs onto my shoulder, my eyes land where his hand is, and back to his face.

"Call me if you need your best friend." He says. "You got me. Always."

A half smile dances across my lips. "Always, Lo."

He gives my shoulder one last squeeze before jolting out the door.

The sliding door slams shut as Jake steps inside, "Did Kylo leave already?"

"Yeah, he'll be back later for the party." I start putting my shoes on. "I'mma head out, I'll be back later too. I need to run some errands beforehand, you're good?"

"Yeah," he says. "Let me walk you out, the party is at eight."

"Gotcha, see you."

*****

Unfortunately, I don't have any errands to run. The only "errands" I'm running are going to the pier and crying. It's literally maybe only been forty-eight hours now. I feel sad, to put it plainly for you.

My heart aches. And I'm sighing every goddamn minute of the day, sighing at practice, sighing while I eat, sighing as I sit down. Wherever I am, I'm sighing because I'm disappointed. However I'm feeling, a sigh sneaks in. Now count how many times I said the 's word.

I don't wanna feel like this. But the human body has other plans.

I will never forget the way she looked at me, that day on the beach.

My forearms lean against the wood railing as I look out into the sea. Seagulls fly, birds, whatever they are. Couldn't care less.

I'm going to miss this. The constant sound of waves, water hitting the rocks, the sizzle from the water reaching the shoreline.