14: Senior Sunrise

Some friends really on that family level

A T H E N A    R O S E

- FLASHBACK -

People talk all around me.

I sit in the back of the class, my pencil tapping the table. As the teacher tries to talk over the students but low-key gives up. She walks back to her desk and sits down. Looking at her computer, her fingers start typing away on the keyboard.

This is Bodywise. Health and PE combined. Took the class cause I needed something to fill my schedule. And this seemed the easiest. I don't mind PE although I prefer not to have it. We only have it two days a week and the rest is health.

And today is health classroom day.

My table vibrates. I grab my phone and turn it over so that it faces me.

One text from Azariah D'Amore.

Azariah: How's the class?

I smile. Azariah and I have been texting ever since we've gotten back from summer break. My boyfriend. God, saying that makes me all giggly. Anyways I respond to his message.

Me: Okay, we aren't learning anything. Senior sunrise is coming up soon, I'm going with Lina.

Azariah: When is it?

Me: On Friday.

It's Wednesday. So two more days until senior sunrise. I never really liked doing the school events and all of that. But why not the senior sunrise? I love sunrises.

Azariah takes a few minutes to respond.

Azariah: What if I came to your senior sunrise?
     What if I brought Ky along? For Lina??

That's the greatest fucking idea he's had.

Me: When's your senior sunrise? Are you gonna miss it?

Azariah: Actually it's the same day as yours. And if i'm going to be honest. I think being with you on your senior sunrise matters more.

I think being with you on your senior sunrise matters more.

Repeat.

Over and over.

My heart pounds against my ribcage. Boom, boom, boom. Thump, thump. An explosion.

Me: Are you sure?

Not even a second later.

Azariah: One hundred percent. I'll let you know what Lo says. Text you in a bit!

I am smiling like a fucking idiot. I bring my hand up to my mouth to cover it. One of my class friends looks over at me and raises her eyebrow.

"You good?" She asks.

"Yeah was just texting my boyfriend." I laugh.

She mouths an O.

*****

It's the end of the day, I make my way over to Lina's class and wait outside the door for her. She's the first one to walk out when the bell rings. We make our way toward her car.

"I have news for you." Wait should I tell her? "Wait, give me a minute." I bring a finger up, pulling out my phone.

I text Azariah.