25: Can't Stop This Party

Let's kick it 4 now

A Z A R I A H D' A M O R E

"We still got a few minutes before the party starts, yeah?" I ask

"Yeah, why?" Jake says putting out the red solo cups.

"I need to step out for a min, call my mom."

"Yeah that's fine, go ahead."

Stepping out and onto the balcony. I close the sliding door behind me and pull out my phone. I find my mom's contact and press call as I press the phone to my ear and lean my elbows against the railing.

After a few rings, she picks up, more specifically on the third ring.

"How's my son doing?" Her bright voice fills the sound in my ears. "You never call me first."

I scoff. "Yes, I do." I pause. "Like right now."

She laughs at me. "You idiot! If I could smack you I would now talk to me." Her bright tone turns softer. "Your mom knows, so spit it out."

A sigh escapes me as I throw my head back. "I'm scared."

She too sighs. She is probably thinking that I'm old enough and I shouldn't be scared. Probably yapping at me in her head.

"Azariah?" She says, after a few seconds of silence. "You should be proud of yourself. I know you only told me the basics. But you should be really proud of yourself."

"But mom-"

"No, listen. It's okay to be scared and it's okay to feel sad. But one thing you should absolutely feel happy about is how you were able to get where you are today. All your hard work to get yourself the opportunities you're currently getting. Stepping into the world you've never ever stepped in is, scary, but don't forget why you choose this route. To go a different path then the one you're currently taking." I hear her place the phone down and start mixing something in a pot. "Your father and I are so proud of you. I just want you to be aware of that. And I know you don't want to hear this but, Athena choose the option she did because of herself. You both had a say and you chose what was best for yourselves."

"I know Mom."

"Don't 'I know' me." She laughs. "But you understand what I'm saying right? This isn't the end Riah."

I sigh and take a look at my mom. My mom's contact name is just mom with a red heart. I bring my phone back to my ear.

"I'm sorry." I groan, running a hand through my hair. "Maybe I just needed to hear that."

"Don't be sorry, what do you have to be sorry for?" She asks. "Being happy? Following your own path? Your dreams? You deserve to be happy."

I mutter an mhm as a reply. "Anyways, thanks, mama. Sorry for calling about this out of all things."

"Can you stop saying sorry, your moms tried of hearing it." She replies. "Now go have a fun last few days, and don't forget to come visit the very last day you're here in California."

"You got it, ma'am."

"Now, end this call and go have fun." She pauses. "You deserve it, Riah. Call your mom once and a while, give me a call, I'm here for you, I love you."

"I will, I love you too." I sigh ending the call. Putting my phone in my pocket I people watch for a few seconds longer before heading back inside.

Jake finished setting everything up, the beer pong table is set up and red solo cups are empty, waiting to be filled with beer. Bags of chips line against the top of the counter. A section in the corner of the counter is filled with alcohol.