40: Tip Toe

I want you instead. If you're in the mood. We can tip toe to the moon. - Tip Toe

A T H E N A R O S E

"He is worth everything," I said over the phone. I am updating Lina while dragging a hand down my face.

"Even if that means pretending for two whole weeks?" She questioned. "What did you get yourself into?"

"If that's what it takes, I'll take what I can get and what he's willing to give." I pace back and forth inside my hotel room. "I'm not pretending but if that makes him feel better, I'd rather pretend than have nothing at all."

Lina mutters to herself as she sits at her vanity. I sit on the edge of my bed, enjoying the comfortable silence between us.

Katalina Nai my partner since childhood, the build-a-bear heart to my bear. There isn't a day when I'm not thankful for her. Her aura, personality, and love is so special. No matter how difficult I'm being or how difficult the situation is, she's always there.

There was a time when we were apart. And during that time I wished I had her in my presence. Lina, herself, filled up the room no matter the atmosphere. She lit up the room, changed the energy, and was always loving.

When I was missing her because I had gone overseas for a trip with my parents. I was at a work event for my parents who were networking as they should be, yet I felt small and alone, in a big conference room. Although there were about a hundred people in that room--- if --- she was there, I would've been happy.

A person like Lina is one of a kind. Truly, the best type of people. We never liked each other at first but I think that makes our friendship so special. The fact we saw each other at our worst yet we continue to love and support each other is what makes this friendship.

Seeing your friend at their lowest and still loving them is love in its truest form. Enemies to Friends. You've already seen them go down and be ugly. No walls, lies, and fakeness.

I stare at the screen of my phone. Watching as she puts on her makeup, admiring her, seeing her cheeks covered in blush. I will forever be in her debt for pushing me to be where I am today. Without her, I'd be lost like a leaf falling from a tree when the seasons change.

"Why are you so quiet?" She asks, breaking the silence.

"Just enjoying your company," I said, throwing myself flat against the bed.

"Shouldn't you be enjoying someone else's company?" Lina raised her eyebrow, lifting her brow pencil away from herself. "Goodbye!" The call ends with the classic sound.

Wow. I stare at the home screen. Did she just end the call like that?

I drop my arm and lay flat against my back staring at the ceiling. And listening to the sound of my heart beating and the sound of distant voices in the hallway.

I roll onto my side looking out the window. Trees sway with the wind and the sun shines like normal.

This is my life.

Okay, I need to stop. Literally, need to stop doing this internal monologue with sad and annoying bullshit. God, I can't help myself though.

I don't know what to do with myself.

Why would she end the call and leave me to drown in my thoughts?

I groan.

"Hello?" I spoke into my phone and didn't bother looking at the caller ID. "Who is this?"