35: want that too

retrouvaille

(n.) the joy of meeting or finding someone again after a long separation; rediscovery

A T H E N A   R O S E

"Sent!" Lina smiles and dances happily while I sit in my chair, mouth open ready for any flies to come in.

I lurch forward and tackle Lina to the bed, Kylo moves out of the way and takes my spot in the chair, pulling the phone out of her hand.

I'm out of breath as I unlock my phone and read the message.

My head hurts and is pounding, you got to be shitting me, this is the most embarrassing shit ever.

Me: hey, it's been a while.

Me: can we talk?

I snap my head toward Lina who lays flat on the bed.

"You just sent the cheesiest thing ever," I pause for dramatics. "How could you?" God, help me.

She rolls her eyes and lays herself on a throw pillow. "You could've taken the bullet and sent it yourself instead of saying 'I can't." She mocks.

I bite my lip as I think about all the possibilities of everything and anything.

"Fuck," I speak up, breaking the silence. Sitting up abruptly. "There's something I have to do first. Someone who I have to apologize to before fully stepping back into the pool," they both look at me confused, and wait for me to continue talking. "I have to apologize to the one person who watched our relationship since the day we graduated. His mom didn't interfere because she- fuck, alright, I gotta go." I grab my jacket and my keys off of the hanger and bolt outside.

No rush, Athena, no rush.

I don't even know what to say to her. But I should probably call her to see if she's home first.

Pulling out my phone I scroll through my contacts searching for his mom.

Gianna D'Amore

My eyes roam around the interior of my car as I wait for her to pick up. A million thoughts run through my mind as I create answers for them.

She's probably wondering why I'm calling now or why or if something happened to Azariah. Because after the breakup, I never called his mom unless something happened and that rarely happened.

But I promised her I'd call her if there were anything to happen.

It's the fifth ring by the time she picks up.

Silence is clear in the first thirty seconds of the call.

"Hello? Athena?"

"Hey G," the nickname foreign coming from my lips. I proceed anyway. "I know it's, um, out of the blue..."

She clears her throat. "Yes, it is," she says calmly. "Did something happen?"

"No," I quickly shoot. "I wanted to see if you were free today?" I lean back in my seat.

I can tell she's taken back. It takes her a few seconds to curate an answer. "I am."

"Are you free to grab lunch with me?" I bite my nails as I wait for her to respond.

"That would be lovely," she finally says. "Where would you like to meet?"

"Would you meet me at the Rooftop?"

"Of course, I'll see you then." She says before ending the call.

My forehead drops against the steering wheel as I droop further into my seat.