12: Consuming

Beach to the Haven Crew!

A T H E N A   R O S E

He's my perfect addiction.

My finger slams the enter button on the keyboard. The sound of others typing also fills my senses. I lean back in my chair, my finger mindlessly finding their way to my lips. I stare at the screen. Thinking about my last sentence of my short story.

BH offers a creative writing class for those who want to take it or need extra units to fill their schedules.

As I continue to think in my own world. I don't notice a figure standing right next to me. Until they tap my shoulder.

"Hey! Do you mind?" Yuri says. "Can you scoot over? I need to charge my computer." She laughs, still motioning for me to move.

If it were any other person. I would. Key word 'would.'

But to be fair I don't like moving. And for a fact there was a seat in front of me open. Still in range of the plug. But here Yuri is.

I totally forgot about her.

I was not  thinking about her. I was just trying to finish my story. My eyes don't dart to her instead they dart towards the clock that sits at the front of the room. "We got like 10 minutes left." I say looking at my empty wrist that does not have a watch. Causing her to look at her own wrist--- confused. "I'm a little busy right now? But there's a seat in front of me, cause if you look to my left there's no seat available because someones in it right now." I look to my left where some random dude sits.

Wouldn't it be rude to just- push the dude?

Yuri raises a brow at me and releases a puff of air.

I don't know what her problem is.

I'm not being rude, not particularly at least. It's just common sense— if there's a seat in front of somebody that's empty and you're asking the person in their seat to move. Is... stupid...

Like what's the point?

She's still standing here.

Okay. This is getting on my nerves, for real. Like if I was her. I would've moved already, because I would've been embarrassed to still be standing here. In a classroom full of how ever many students are in here. Even though they're minding their own business. The thought of someone looking up and looking over would kill me.

"There's a seat in front of me." I repeat.

That feeling of unwanted presence is consuming me. Insert yoga pose right now.

Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat.

Not working.

"Can you just please," she pushes out a smile. "Scoot over?" The laptop in her arms shifts as she moves closer. People start to look up. Everyone's waiting, a tiny voice says in my head.

Why is it so fucking hard to understand when someone doesn't want you to sit down in their seat? Like look around— please.

The bell rings. Shuffles are heard all around the room. I start to get up. "Looks like class is over." I say, packing my things. "Next time, yeah?"

I throw my bag over my shoulder and push past her. She stumbles a few steps back.

How do people not get the hint?

Fucking people. Seriously.

*****

A Z A R I A H    D' A M O R E