𝟎𝟏𝟐. 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐏𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐒

"SO THEN SHE STARTS TALKING ABOUT phosphors and the key having chemicals on it, right? so that made me think of the chemistry closet and the fact that someone had to let barrow in-" stiles' sentence stopped when he looked at the clean chalkboard

"it's gone. okay. it doesn't matter though. it doesn't matter, i've still got the key" he said, walking up to the storage room. he looked for the key, only, it wasn't there. "what the hell? i had it...i had it here this morning. i swear to god, i had it this morning"

"the key you were talking about last night?"

"yeah, i showed it to you, right? didn't i show it to you?"

"no, you just told me about it. i never actually saw it"

"i was here a couple hours ago. and the message left to barrow spelling mariana's last name was right there on the board in my handwriting and i had the keys to the chemistry closet" he explained.

"so you unlocked the chemistry closet so barrow could hide in it from the cops and then...you wrote him a message to kill mariana?"

"i know how it sounds...but look at this" he said, pulling out a piece of paper from his pocket, unfolding it. "this is the news report that came out about barrow when they caught him, okay? about the shrapnel bomb that he used. see this? see what he did? he put nuts, bolts, and screws. and then he hid the bomb and the detonator in a box that we wrapped as a birthday present. what does that sound like to you?"

the boy thought about it. "coach. the joke we played on coach"

"that was my idea. you remember? that was my idea. that's no coincidence, it can't be"

"i don't want to sound like i'm trying to tell you that you're wrong but i don't think you're trying to kill people either" his best friend said. the boy looked at the board, crumpling up. "it was here. it was all here"

"dude, are you feeling okay? you're looking really tired" the boy pointed out in concern. "yeah, i'm fine. i just haven't been sleeping really..."

"why don't you go home? take a sick day or something. i can call mariana"

"no. i'm pretty sure mariana hates me again. i left her at the party and ultimately made her think she wasn't important to me. i can't ask her to help me when i've hurt her."

"but she cares about you, stiles. i don't think she would deny you if you needed help. i'll talk to her" the boy sighed. he did need mariana. she was his breath of fresh air and lately he's felt as if he had been suffocating. the boy nodded at the werewolf. the alpha took a deep breath, concentrating on finding the girl. he caught her scent, following it with stiles joining him.

they found the girl at her locker. they both approached the girl who was too busy in her own world. the girl shut her locker, looking at the boys who had just made it to her. "mariana, we need your help" scott said in worry. the girl furrowed her eyebrows. she looked at stiles, he looked paler than usual and his eye bags look darker than the norm. "stiles, are you okay?"