Friends?

Matt... Think! Ano ba ang ginagawa mo? You're over her. Damn! That kiss felt so good. I really miss her.... I still love her.
Marj: Hey babe! Babe!? Earth to Matt! (Waving her hand on his face)
Matt: Huh?! Sorry. I did not notice you approaching.
Marj: Is there any problem? You are not sick or something?
Matt: No I'm fine. Just thinking.
Marj: How's your patient? Mrs. Walters?
Matt: She's worse. She's dying. Her husband already signed a waiver.... No resuscitation.
Marj: Oh. So how's the husband taking it?
Matt: I don't know. She was assigned to Timothy now. I was advised not to be involved now. Mainit ang dugo niya sa akin.
Marj: Don't worry everything will be fine. I think he won't go to court naman. I have to go. I have to go to the OR for a patient. Love you. (Give him a smack on the lips and went)
Matt caught Sarah at the corner of his eye and saw that she was about to turn around. Sarah saw Marj and Matt and cringed when she saw Marj gave Matt a smack on the lips and was about to turn around when he called after her.
Matt: Sarah.... Wait. (She stopped and face him) About the other day, I'm sorry. I don't know what I'm thinking but I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.
Sarah: No it's ok. May kasalanan din ako. I let it happen. We just have to be professional about it and try the best we can to work together. Besides, iisa lang ang pinagtratrabahuan natin.
Matt: Yeah right. Truce? (Extends his hand for a handshake)
Sarah (smiles): Truce! (And took his hand and felt her heart skip a beat)
Both were confused though.... How can a single handshake send shocks through your heart?
...............
Dr. Morrison: Good morning, Dr. Fernan. I believe I have bad and good news for you.
Matt: Good morning, Dr. Morrison. Is this has something to do with Mrs. Walters? I heard she passed away last night. Timothy told me.
Dr. Morrison: Yes. Mr. Walters expressed his disappointment how her wife's case is handled. I already reviewed the chart. The bad news is he is determined to sue you and the hospital. I'm sorry but I guess you have to prepare for the law suit. You can consult with Atty. Tua regarding the matter in the next few days. The good news is I think you have a strong chance to win the case. When I reviewed the chart, there's no neglect or any mistakes. All management you gave is directed to save her. So I guess you don't have to really worry about it. Just state the facts as it happen.
Matt: Thank you doctor. I'll just schedule an appointment with Atty. Tua.
.................
Matt knocked at the door before he opened it and saw her sitting by her table going through some papers. She looked up....
Sarah: Hi Matt! Come in. Dr. Morrison already gave me a heads up that you're coming over.
Matt: Hi! I guess I need your help. Mr. Walters is really mad at me.
Sarah (smiles): I guess so. Pero nabasa ko ang medical record and so far wala akong nakitang loopholes. Dr. Morrison helped me with some of the medical terms and so far I think you have nothing to worry about.
Matt (sat down): That's good to hear. So pano ba ang process nito? We go directly to court?
Sarah: No. Both parties will meet and probably we might come up with an amicable settlement. Wala silang strong case against us. Magastos ang magsampa ng kaso and they won't risk it if alam nilang matatalo sila.
Matt: I will pray for that. Maybe we can discuss this over dinner?
Sarah (looked at him confused): I don't know Matt. Let's keep it professional.... It's safer if we discuss it here sa office. Both parties will meet the day after tomorrow.
Matt: Sorry. I didn't mean to imply anything. I thought we're friends now. Until what time you'll be here? I have surgery by 4 pm usually runs for 2 hours.
Sarah: I'll wait for you (she blurted out... Kind of surprised of herself)
Matt (grins): Ok then. See you. Thanks.
........................
Sarah: Come in!
Matt: Hi! Sorry. The surgery took longer than expected. I brought food.... It's just cold pizza slices though.
Sarah: It's ok I already ate. You go ahead. We have lots of things to discuss.

Both of them run through the chart and discuss the legalities. They were too engrossed discussing the case and before they know it.., it's already 11pm.
Sarah (yawns): I guess we have to call it a night. It's late. Ok naman lahat. Both parties will meet day after tomorrow. Mukhang ready ka naman. And it seems the have no case against you (smiles)
Matt (looked at her and smiled back): Thanks. You have been a great help. Alam ko na even before you will turn out to be a great lawyer. I'm happy for you.
Sarah (smiles): And you are a great doctor to and will be one of the great surgeons. Bago pa tayo magbolahan ng todo we have to go home now.
Matt: Where do you live? I can drop you off.
Sarah: Malapit lang ako. 2 blocks away. I can walk.
Matt: Hell no! No way. Gabi na to for you to walk. I'll drop you off.
Sarah: But....
Matt: Sarah... Don't argue. Let's go (he reached for her hand and pulled)
Sarah grabbed her bag and followed him. They only realized they were holding hands when the were in the hallway.
Matt: Oops sorry.
Both of them silently walked into the parking lot.
Matt: Buckle up. I live just around 4 blocks more where you live. (Turns on the radio....mellow old love song filled the car)
Sarah: Mahilig ka pa rin pala sa cheesy love songs. (Giggles)
Matt (smiles): It warms my heart. Kumusta pala sila ni Tito, Tita and si Joy?
Sarah: Namatay si Tatay 2 years ago na heart attack. Si Nanay ok naman and si Joy may trabaho na rin. Mukhang mauuna pang ikasal sa akin. Matagal na sila ng boyfriend nya.
Matt: I'm sorry about Tito. Hindi ko nabalitaan. Ikaw?... Ahm.... May boyfriend ka?
Sarah (looked at him and grinned): Are you interrogating me? Ganun talaga pag friends na? Nang iimbestiga?
Matt (looked shy): I am just starting a conversation (laughs). It's ok if you don't answer.
Sarah (chuckles): No it's ok. And no I don't have a boyfriend right now. After you, I went out several dates nothing serious.
Matt: How about Sam?
Sarah: We are friends. That's it. I tried to have it something deeper with him but I was too cooped out in my studies and we ended to have lost time. So we are better off as friends. How about you? And Marj?
Matt: We are together for 2 years. We met here in the hospital. We started going out in group dates and eventually fell in love.
Sarah (quiet for awhile): She's beautiful. You look good together. It's a good thing we can talk like this now. Maybe it's not so bad to be friends again.
Matt: Sarah.... Ahm... About the kiss...
Sarah: No need to explain Matt. Let's just forget it. Marj is a great girl. You should be with her. May be we were just caught up in the moment that we forgot that someone will be hurt. It doesn't mean anything, does it? The kiss?
Matt (looked at her): Ahm.... Do I have to turn here?
Sarah: Ahm... Just stop right there by the lamp post?
Matthew parked the car but the side of the road. Sarah was about to open the door when he stopped her.
Matt: Wait... I'll open it for you. (He went out and opened her door)
Sarah: Thanks. Thanks for the ride.
Matt (smiles): It's my pleasure. Good night Sarah. I'll wait for you to get in.
Sarah: Ok thanks (gave him a half hug and shyly walked to the door)

Matt watched her as she walk away and waved back as she turn to wave before she went in. Why does he feel sad as she walked away? He didn't answer her question about the kiss. He doesn't know what to say. It's not a meaningless kiss.... It felt something through his core. But it will just complicate things...

Confused yet again 😂