Starting over

Sarah woke up with a headache. She was surprised that she was lying on her sofa and squinted as sunlight radiates through the window. She slowly sits up.
Sarah: Oh! My head hurts. How did I get home? All I remembered last night was Matt and I went out for a drink. (Mumbles to herself)
He brought me home? She checked her clothes and was relieved that she still wears the same clothes. At least he did not undress me. She found a note on the coffee table and recognized his handwriting. She smiled.... He really has a doctor's handwriting.
Note reads:
My dear Sarah,
I guess you had too much to drink. Thank you so much for spending time and celebrate with me last night. I really appreciate and enjoyed it. You are in a deep slumber when I head out. It's a start for us.... I will just settle things.
With love still,
Matt
She rubbed her eyes and read the note again. IT'S A START FOR US?.....SETTLE THINGS?.....WITH LOVE STILL? Did something happen last night? Did I say something?
......................................
Marj (kissed and hugged him tight): Hi Babe! I miss you. You miss me? (Flashed him a smile) Congratulations by the way. Now you don't have to worry about Mr. Walters case against you (held his hand and leaned towards him)
Matt (smiled): Thanks. A heavy load off my chest (she let her in the car and drove) How was your trip?
Marj: Well you know. The usual....it was a full packed 3 day lectures. Updates and stuffs. I don't have work until tomorrow. We can spend more time together. You're still on leave right?
Matt: Yeah. But I still have paperwork so to finish.
Marj: Babe...I miss you. Please. We can stay in bed the whole day and play hookey (winks and laughs)
Matt looked at her for a second and thought how can I break it without hurting her.
Matt: Ahm....I'll try but can't promise.
Marj: Are you ok? It seems that something is bothering you?
Matt: No, no I'm fine. Just hangover I guess.
Marj: You guys had fun last night? I'm sure Tim and Mark get really drunk again.
Matt just nodded and smiled. He can't even tell her it was only him and Sarah last night.
............................
Marj: Something isn't right, Barbara. Matthew seems not to be himself lately. I already noticed it for the past month. He is no longer that intimate with me. I can't even remember the last time we had great sex.
Barbara: Why don't you ask him? You two can talk it out.
Marj: I'm afraid. I don't want to lose him. But....but I also think that it seems there is someone else.
Barbara: Who said about losing him? All I said was talk to him. Clear things up. Have you seen him with someone?
Marj: No. But I notice he is always in a thinking mode. I have caught him several times looking intently at Atty.Sarah Tua. I never caught them talking long just usual chats....but I have that gut feel. There is something he is not telling me.
Barbara: Invite him to dinner or even cook for him one of these days. Better to know the truth than being kept hanging in the dark.
.....................
Matt's POV
I don't have to guts to break Marj's heart. The past month has been difficult. Sarah seems to avoid me. After that night we never really had the chance to talk. Just the usual hi and hello when we pass each other in the corridors. At times I can't help myself but stare at her for long during meetings.
Mark: You really have a problem, man. I know that something is between you and Atty. Sarah. I'm glad you told me. Seriously though, I thinks it's unfair for Marj if you no longer love her or you don't love her like you love Sarah..... She deserves to know.
Matt: I know....but I don't want to be the one to end the relationship.
Mark: Dude! In this day and age it doesn't matter who ends what. What is important is to be honest. Until when are going to wait for things to happen. That Michael guy seems to be getting closer with Sarah. You might regret it if don't act now.

Mark is right. He should get his act now.
Matt (answers his phone): Hello? Oh hi Babe. Yeah I'll be home by 6 tonight. Ok. See you. I love you too. (Hangs up)
Mark (smirks): I love you too? Dude seriously.... Talk to her.
.........................
Matt enters his apartment and saw Marj busy in the kitchen.
Marj: Hi Babe! You're here. I cooked pasta for dinner. (Walks towards him and kissed his lips)
Matt: Hi! Since when do you know how to cook pasta?
Marj: Well... That's why we have cookbooks (smiles)
They ate dinner together with their usual talk about how each other's day went. After they decided to watch a film together in the living room. Marj went to the bathroom to freshen up and when she went out... She was wearing a sexy nightie and went towards Matt who was lying down the sofa.
Marj (sat down by his side and leaned down to kiss him): Babe, mind if you move a little or should I be on top of you? (Smiles teasingly at him)
Matt (suddenly sits up and stiffen): Babe, I'm sorry. I'm tired. I need to freshen up too.
Marj (looks angrily at him): Seriously?! Matthew! I am giving all my efforts here. Do you see what I'm wearing? Please talk to me. Is there something wrong between us?
Matt looked at her and don't know what to say. He stood up and went to his room.
Marj: Oh... So you will just keep your mouth shut....again. (She followed him to his room) Matt! Matt! I think we have to talk.... Really talk (she sat down on his bed). Please talk to me. I will listen. You have changed. I know there is something wrong.

Matt looked at her and sat down beside her and held her both hands.
Matt: Babe...Marj.... I'm sorry. I know I am not completely honest with you. You have been there for me for the past two years and I will be forever thankful. When I met you you brought back the color in my life who has been gone since my heart was broken. You brought the pieces back again. I thought I was over someone in the past but....
Marj (tears start to form in her eyes): There's someone else? (She looked closely into his eyes and saw the answer) Is that why you're not longer intimate with me? You found someone else? Someone from your past? (Tears started to fall)
Matt (held her hands more tightly): Hey no. Nothing happened... Not what you're thinking. But yes... Someone from my past. I thought I was over her but seeing her again is a different story. I don't want to hurt you but I think it will be unfair to you if I will continue to lie to you.
Marj: Do I know her? It's Sarah, right? I've noticed you looked at her differently (wipes her tears) Is she your ex-girlfriend? (Matt just nodded) Now I get it.... I always notice that you look at her differently. Lately, you've staring at her a lot. I tried to ignore it but I really have a gut feel. Is she the one who broke up with you?
Matt: Yes. Look Marj. I fell in love with you but I guess it's not the same thing with Sarah. I don't want to hurt you but I don't want to continue to lie to you either. You are a great girl. I am sure you will find someone who deserves your love and love you in the same way in return. I'm really sorry.
Marj: Are you courting her again? Or are you back together? (She asked as tears continue to fall from her eyes)
Matt (squeezed her hands): No. I want to settle things with you first before I pursue her. I'm really really sorry.
Marj (sobs): I guess I can't do anything. It hurts Matt but I'm thankful you are honest about it.
She stood up and started to pick up her things and changed her clothes.
Marj: I have to go. Hope all will be well with you and her (hugs him and went out)

He was glad that Marj was calm with the situation. He knows her that she's open minded and more practical with things. Now that he is free..... time to bring Sarah back in his life.
.....................................
Sarah was walking along the corridor going to her office when she overheard the nurses talking.
Nurse 1: Have you heard the rumors? Dr. Fernan is single now. They broke up.
Nurse 2: Really? I thought they were bound to get married.
Nurse 3: Maybe he is waiting for me (giggles) He's really handsome.
Sarah walked slowly.... Looking down.... they broke up? Marj and him? (Note to self ---- huwag mag assume)
Michael: Hey Sarah! You seem to be thinking hard. You didn't even notice me and you almost bumped into me (smiles)
Sarah (she looked up and found herself almost several inches from his chest): Oh sorry (steps back) I was just distracted by something.
Michael (smiles widely): You want to talk about it? Over a cup of coffee?
Sarah (smiles back): I don't know about talking but I sure want coffee.
Michael (offers his arm): well my princess let me treat you with a cup of coffee.

Matt saw Michael and Sarah walking into the coffee shop smiling at each other. I guess this won't be easy as he thought..... He has competition. Time to make a plan...... where to start....
Today is day 1... Plan BRING MY SARAH BACK

Author's note:
Short update po. Ano kayang magiging plano ni Matt?