Will you?

Mark: Dude! You've been quiet for several weeks now. Are you and Sarah ok?
Matt: We are more than fine, man. I just can't find the right timing to talk about marriage seriously.
Mark: You're proposing?! Oh man, sounds serious. You've been back together like what?! 10 months? Are you sure about this?
Matt: Of course, I'm sure. When we were together before I am pretty sure I want to spend the rest of my life with her as soon as we graduated high school... But then you know... Circumstances... We parted. And since I have this second chance, I don't want to let it go. I love her. Besides it's not how long you have been together it's how long you try to make it last. Marriage is a lifetime work and I won't complain if I do it with her.
Mark: You really are serious! Well, I know you are the marrying type. Best of luck man! One piece of advice I got from my Dad is to propose in the most unexpected time. In her unguarded moment (smiles)
Matt (laughs): Thanks, man. For someone who is not the marrying type you give that kind of advice.

Matt's POV
Hmmm... Her unguarded moment.... Most unexpected time. I guess Mark's Dad really knows how to give advice like that. Maybe I should pop up the question when we do what we usually do. We both love to eat in new restaurants and watch movies. However, I want to make it extra special. We usually hear mass together during our free time. Maybe I should propose in front of the church. Argh.... I'm really pressured when I think of this things. What if she's not ready?
................
Sarah: Hey Love! Are you ok? (Wave her hand in front of him) May problema ka ba?
Matt (shook his head): No. There's no problem. I'm just exhausted. Medyo maraming surgical procedures kasi. (They were eating dinner in one of their favorite restaurants) Love?
Sarah: Yes?
Matt: Where do you see yourself in a few years?
Sarah: Hmm.... Bakit yan ang tanong mo?
Matt: Wala lang. Gusto ko lang malaman what you perceive of the future... If kasama ako dun.
Sarah (chuckles): Love, we will never know what will happen di ba? Pero in 3 years I see myself...sana... Financially stable and have a family of my own. Siyempre gusto ko with you but whatever God wants and where fate takes us. Hindi natin masasabi.
Matt: I guess so. Natanong ko lang kasi si Jerry na pinsan ko ikakasal na. Napaisip isip ako na we're not getting younger. Di ba?
Sarah (looked serious): Wait?! Are you serious? Don't tell me you're asking my hand for marriage (looked at him wide eyed)
Matt: Hey! We are just having a conversation I just want to know your thoughts that's all (oh know! Based on her reaction I think she's not ready yet?)
Sarah (my heart thumped a little loudly....I'm not sure if I'm ready for marriage): Oh...look.... Love. You know I love you right? (Matt nods) I just....you know. We shouldn't rush into things. Marriage is serious stuff. We just got back together again. Let's just enjoy what we have for now. (She placed her hand on top of his across the table and smiled)
He smiled back and slowly nods. Close call Matt. At least now you know she's not that ready yet.
.........................
Sarah: Sis!!! Ano ang gagawin ko? Mukhang nagpaparamdam na si Matt. May balak na yata.  (She told her as they talked through Skype)
Shin: Sis, ready ka na ba? Matagal naman kayo magkakilala ni Matt. Ikaw rin baka magsawa na naman at maghanap na ng iba. He really loves you... You know. Pero minsan ang pasensya may hangganan.
Sarah (bite her lips): Mahal ko rin naman siya. Pero hindi ko alam if willing ako to take a risk and get married.
Shin: Lahat naman ng decisions natin sa buhay may corresponding risks. As long as responsible tayong tanggapin whatever ang kahinatnan ng decision natin.
Sarah: You think so? I'm ready for it?
Shin: Ikaw lang makakasagot niyan....but sis let me remind you. You are already 29. You'll be 30 in 2 months. Baka mahirapan ka mabuntis. Sige ka.
Sarah (sighs): I'll think about it really well. Good thing nga he understands my stand on premarital sex.
Shin: Kasi mahal na mahal ka niya and he respects you. Pag isipan mo sis.

A couple of months have passed and Matt has been his same loving and caring self. He never brought up the topic of marriage again. Sarah has been thinking that she is ready to take their relationship to the next level.... Pero pano? wala na yata balak magpropose.
Matt: Good morning Love! (Kissed her lips) I brought your favorite coffee.
Sarah: Thank you. Ang aga mo naman.
Matt: It's already 7am po. Breakfast time. Besides I'm on leave for 3 days so medyo mas ganado ako. We have the whole day to ourselves (smiles). What's your plan for tomorrow? It's your birthday Love!
Sarah (looked at him and thought of something): Nothing much. We could celebrate it together by the park. Have dinner just the two of us.
Matt: Hmmm parang may ulterior motive ka ha. Ok sige. I already promised you no surprises so there.... I asked you na what's your plan.
Sarah (laughs): I know Love (hugs him). Let's eat breakfast I'll cook eggs and ham. Sit down and relax.
Matt: Practice na ba ito, misis? (Chuckles)
Sarah (smiles): medyo......
They went to the park for a walk and after lunch they decided to watch a movie. By late afternoon, both of them already in her apartment waiting for their favorite TV series.
Matt: Love, pwede ba dito na ko matulog? Promise I'll super behave! (He told her as the sat by the side with her head on his shoulders)
Sarah: I guess. May dala ka bang damit?
Matt (sat up straight): Really?! Payag ka? I can head back home fast and get my things.
Sarah (laughs): Huwag maging over sa saya mister! I guess pwede naman. We are both adults.... Pero promise ha! Behave. Off limits ang kwarto. You sleep here sa couch. We can watch late movies mamaya.
Matt (stood up): Ok. I'll head out now and get my things. See you in a while Love. (Kissed her cheek and in a flash he was gone)
......................
Sarah cooked pasta and fried chicken for their dinner.  Tama ba ang decision ko to let him sleep here? Bigla akong kinabahan..... The doorbell rang.
Matt (smiles as she opened the door): Hi! I'm back.
Sarah (he looks so handsome in his white shirt and jeans): Wow ha. Nag effort ka pa magbihis (smiles). Come in and dito ka na sa dining table we will have dinner in a while.m
Matt: Mukhang nahihilig ka na magluto a. (He approached her and hugged her from behind) Ang bango naman ng fried chicken (planted a kiss on her neck)
Sarah: Love, behave! D pa ko nag freshen up. Umupo ka na nga. Sige ka papauwiin kita pag di ka nag behave.
Matt (chuckles): Ok behave na. Uupo na po.
Sarah placed the food on the table and they ate and even nagsusubuan.
Matt: Ang sarap ng puttanesca Love ha. Pwede na!
Sarah: Anong pwede na?
Matt: Pwede ng mag asawa! (Smiles) Just kidding.
Sarah (smiled back): I'm glad you like it.

Sarah: Love, watch ka lang muna diyan and mag freshen up lang ako. Amoy linuto na ko.
Matt: Ok. I'll change na rin. Nakashower na ko from my place.

Sarah showered for a few minutes and had a difficult time finding what to wear. I guess it's a mistake na pumayag ako na dito siya matulog. She settled for a soft pink shirt and white shorts and pulled her hair up.  She wore a sweater over it kasi medyo lumalamig na rin. When she went to the living room, he saw him watching his favorite TV series wearing still his white shirt and boxer shorts.
Matt: Hi! Have you been standing there long? I was caught up with this episode. Come here. Sit beside me.
Sarah: I was just enjoying watching you too engrossed with what you're watching. (Sat beside him and leaned to his chest as he placed her arm around her pulling her close)
Matt: Hmmm this feels great. Having you in my arms watching my favorite series.
Sarah (pulls up and looked at him): Hmmm. Baka mamaya masanay ka na at madalas na to.
Matt (looked at her and admired her simplicity..... She can be very beautiful): I wouldn't
mind even araw araw pa (smiles and moved closer to her)
Sarah: Hey! Ano ang plano mo?!
Matt: I've been wanting to do this since I saw you standing there....
He move closer and kissed her lips. He nibbled her lips and slowly pushed his tongue. Sarah hesitated at first and slowly gave him access. He moaned softly as Sarah shyly played with his tongue and responded to his kiss. She placed her hand behind his neck and pulled her close. He pushed her back slowly and she now lies down on the sofa. He move his hand under her sweater and under her shirt. He unhooked her bra and teased her peak. He began to kiss her neck and slowly moved down. He kissed his peak slowly licked her bud.
Sarah: Ah....Matt...love...
Matt: Tell me to stop.... (He whispered... His hands moved down to her thighs as he continue to place soft feathery kisses on her chest)
Sarah: Matt!!! (She slowly pulls up and placed both hands on his face) I'm sorry. I know this is hard for you. Maybe we should stop before everything goes beyond our control.
Matt (looked into her eyes and understood): Come here (pulls her close and gave her a tight hug) I'm sorry. I got carried away. (Kissed her hair) I understand love... But sorry I have to go to the bathroom first.

Sarah waited for him when he went to the bathroom for several minutes now. Matt went out of the bathroom looking tired.
Sarah (stood up and hugged him): Love, I'm really sorry. Are you ok?
Matt (smiles weakly): I'll live! Don't feel sorry ok? I know your limitations and I respect that. (Hugged her and kissed her hair)
Sarah: I know that part of this is what made our relationship turn sour the first time. You longed for intimacy that I can't give and that made you got tempted with Jessy.
Matt: Hey! Hey! Huwag na natin ibalik ang nakaraan. It was I who made a mistake and not you. Don't blame yourself for that. Love, you have nothing to feel sorry for. I know your stand on this thing before I pursued you the first time and the second time. I am willing to wait for the right moment. I love you too much that I'm willing to sacrifice for that.
Sarah (looked at him teary eyed): Thank you. Alam ko naman na mahal mo ako at mahal na mahal rin kita.  (Sat down on the sofa) You have asked me to marry you even before we went to college but I turned you down. I prioritized my family, my studies and you always take the back seat. Minsan naiisip ko that you give more into this relationship than me. I thought na maybe it's also time for me to give more..... To commit wholeheartedly into our relationship. I love you so much that I couldn't imagine my life without you (reached out for his hand)
Matt (smiled widely... Thank God for that sign): Wait.... Love. (Reached for something in the pocket of his backpack.) My Sarah.... Love (knelt before her in one knee) I know this is not the most romantic setting, or even the best time of almost midnight.... It's 11:30pm. I have this for sometime now.... 2 months to be exact. I'm just waiting for a sign from you. (He took her hand and took out a box opened with a diamond ring in it) I couldn't imagine my life without you too, Love. I love you so much and I am hoping to spend the rest of my life with you. So, Atty. Sarah Tua..... Will you.....marry me?
Sarah looked at him as tears fall down her eyes.
Sarah (sobs): I thought my birthday will end without you asking! Dr. Matthew Fernan..... It's definitely YES! (touched his face with both hands and kissed him)
Matt: Yes! yes! Yes! (Placed the ring on her finger and gave her a long lingering kiss on the lips)