Chapter Ten

LYRA
________

I inhaled a deep breath, feeling as if air had finally returned to my lungs.

Every word that I had exchanged with Alexander finally registered, and I sighed. I suddenly missed Jaxon and Ava. Being around unfamiliar Wolves felt overwhelming.

Jaxon would have teased me over the luck of being mated to the enemy, meanwhile, Ava would have cheered me on.

She always wished that I found my mate before Gabriel could take me as his, and her wish had come true, even if it wasn't as we had imagined.

When the door to Alexander's office swung open, I darted my gaze toward the intruder. Zynthéa eyes found mine and she smiled widely, before shutting the door behind her.

"He's my brother but I swear even I'm scared of him sometimes," she said, faking a shudder.

"He's your brother?" I asked, horrified.

Poor girl, a brother like Alexander and a mate like Dyami. And I thought I was the unlucky one.

She smiled sheepishly. "I may sound biased, but he's actually a really good person."

I narrowed my eyes at her, wanting to beg to differ with his past, but I didn't say anything.

"Come on," she urged. "I'll show you to your room."

I pouted, but let her lead the way. Escaping right now would be useless.

Alexander didn't seem like the type to leave his guard down and I knew if I tried, he would have me captured.

I needed to build their trust so they would leave me to roam the territory freely, before I could proceed with my plan.

The bedroom was a lot bigger than any bedroom I had ever owned. It was simple, and different to the rest of the house. Meanwhile, the house was dark and mysterious, the bedroom was light.

The double bed was placed in the centre with two small bed side tables on either side, a small lamp situated on each respectively. 

There was a large window covering almost the whole wall, bringing life to the room. A soft sofa chair was placed by the window. A door next to the one that I was standing at lead to the bathroom, as per Zynthéa's introduction. I was left in awe at the simplicity, yet practicality of the room.

Zynthéa remained with me for about fifteen minutes, introducing her pack to me and talking about Dyami, when she decided she had to head back.

I was grateful for having her in this territory when everything and everyone else seemed so unfamiliar. It helped me feel a bit easy.

I had showered, changed in to a different set of clothes and blow dried my hair, when Alexander returned. He had knocked once and entered without awaiting for me to tell him he could enter.

I rolled my eyes but didn't complain. It was his house after all. He could do as he wished.

I was surprised when Alexander said 'hello' and placed himself on the single sofa chair by the window.

He had a folder which he placed on his lap and started to flip through the white sheets of paper without sparing me a glance.

It annoyed me even more. His presence caused every emotion in my body to waken. I hated him, but I also really liked him.

It was frustrating. It annoyed me more at how attractive he was just sitting on the chair, focused deep on his work.

"Do you need anything?" Alexander shocked me by asking, his eyes glanced up at me.