Chapter Fourteen

LYRA
________

The comfort of the bed allowed me to sleep for longer than I thought I would; but the multiple dreams disturbed my peace.

They weren't nightmares per say, but felt more like real life events that I didn't quite comprehend. It involved Wolves fighting, a lot of shouting and my parents leaving.

When my eyes fluttered open and was met with the clear white ceiling, all the dreams vanished and I couldn't remember them despite how annoyed I had felt in my sleep.

Taking in my surroundings, I came to the realisation that everything that had happened before my deep slumber, was now my reality.

I hadn't dreamt about finding my mate, nor had I dreamt about being taken by the enemy. Those events had actually taken place.

"You're awake," his husky voice rang in my ears, firing electrical currents down my spine.

"I am," I responded, dryly.

Alexander appeared in my vision. He was wearing a black suit jacket with a white shirt, his hair neatly styled on his head. He had cleaned up.

His hands held a tray, and I caught a waft of the smell of food before I even saw it. He placed the tray at the end of the bed before standing up straight.

"I brought you breakfast," he explained, nodding at the tray.

My eyes narrowed at him. "Breakfast?"

I knew I had slept well, but surely I hadn't slept through the entire night.

"It's eight-thirty in the morning," Alexander confirmed, making me bolt right up, almost knocking the tray over.

"Easy there," he urged, holding the tray in place.

I grimaced. "You're telling me that I slept through the night?"

Alexander guarded me. "I do not see what the issue is. You needed to rest."

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I glared at him.

"Your health is more important to me," he responded, casually.

"Stop acting like you know what's best for me," I told him, spitefully. "I'm a grown woman and I sure as hell know myself better."

Alexander watched me with hard eyes. My words had taken no effect on him and to my disappointment, no reaction either.

"You should eat whilst it's warm," he told me, nodding at the food. "And then you should rest some more."

"And maybe you should leave," I retorted.

I couldn't believe him. He had people from his pack kidnap me— which had worked in my favour since that saved me from Gabriel, but Alexander was to never find that out.

He had ordered to have me captured and now was acting like he actually cared. It annoyed me, a lot.

He was the same person that had made orders to leave innocent Wolves without families, innocent Wolves without mates and forced a lot of these people out of our pack as a result. I wanted to leave, but telling him that would be useless.

"Is something wrong?" he asked.

Yes, everything.

"I need to get changed," I told him, squeezing the duvets tight in my fist.

Only now realising that I had never pulled the duvet over myself the night before but had gone to sleep on it. It was strange.

Alexander gave me a once over before he relocated the tray on to the bed side table. Once he was happy with the tray's new location, he glanced at me before disappearing out of my vision.

I fought the urge to peak to see if he was really leaving, but when I heard the opening and closing of my door, I knew he had actually left.

I didn't need to change, but I needed space to think through my plans. Having him around made it hard for me to think clearly.

There was that electrical current that radiated throughout my body at his presence, not to mention how God damn handsome he was.

It still shocked me that Zynthéa had told me he didn't have anyone he messed around with. I was pretty sure he did, he probably just kept that aspect of his life private. The thought annoyed me.

My Wolf wanted me to get up and find her mate, and have him take us in his arms, but I fought against the idea. She was also making life difficult for me because I had to suppress her a lot around him.

I had been in their territory just over a couple of days, yet I had made no progress with my plans.

It was upsetting me at how powerless I felt.

Gabriel was probably planning something and would break through at any moment, and here I was struggling to find a way to leave.

It was hard because of Alexander. I wanted to hate him and leave, but I found myself struggling to do so. It was the most frustrating thing ever.

"Lyra?"

My head snapped to where his voice came from, and I frowned. "What?"

"Are you alright?" he asked, concern in his eyes. "I knocked but you did not seem to notice."

"I-I'm fine. I need more time."

"Are you sure nothing is bothering you?"

My gaze landed back on my mate, who had his head dipped through the door. I almost cried out loud at how handsome he was.

The more time that I spent here with him, the more I wanted to be near him.

"I got side tracked," I lied, and made a fake attempt at getting up. "I will get ready now."

Alexander nodded, and closed the door once again, leaving me to exhale loudly.

I glanced at the tray filled with eggs, bacon, sausage and hashbrowns, but I didn't have an appetite. It was too early for me to eat such greasy food, but nevertheless, I did appreciate the boy's efforts.

When the hot water sprayed on to my muscles, I immediately relaxed.

The bathroom was large enough to be another bedroom, and the shower took most of the space. I definitely wasn't complaining because showering here felt heavenly. The water was warm and calming, massaging every muscle on my body. It was exactly what I needed after the tension that I had felt.

Around noon, I was completely dressed and had dried my hair.

I put my hair in a ponytail and put on a pair of jeans with a simple top. It felt a little bit chilly so I decided to put on a jacket too.

I wasn't sure how the closet was filled with clothes that fit me perfectly, but I knew Alexander played some role in that.

I was grateful, because walking around an unfamiliar territory nude was not my forte.