Chapter Thirteen

LYRA
________

"I promise I won't run away, so you can leave," I said to her for the tenth time.

Zynthéa wasn't phased by my words, instead she smiled to herself and continued watering the white orchid flower that she had brought with her when she came to see me, literally two seconds after Alexander had left.

"That's not the reason why I'm here," she told me. "I thought maybe it would be nice to have some company."

"Huh." I definitely did not believe her.

"Anyway, I'm your best friend here, so ask me anything you like," she told me once she had finished her task.

I almost snorted out loud at her words. Fair enough, she seemed like an easy going person that I felt comfortable with; but to call her my best friend was a bit of a stretch.

Then I remembered her words and decided to make the most of it. She had already told me that her pack was the largest and that Dyami was the beta, but aside from that I didn't really know anything else.

"How do you cope with Alexander and your mate?" I asked her, curious.

She glanced up at my question. "Alexander is a good leader," she said but her eyes seemed sad.

I raised a brow at her. "You don't seem to agree with your statement."

She chuckled softly and turned her gaze back on the orchid, stroking the white petal softly.

"Alexander had to grow up fast. He's so serious all the time, it sometimes worries me."

I bit my bottom lip, not knowing what to respond to her. I was sure all leaders had to grew up fast, but I didn't need to add that.

"I was worried he'd never find his mate," she continued, giving me a side glance. "You have no idea what it means to all of us for him to have found you."

I was surprised she knew that I was his mate, but as their leader and as her big brother, I was sure she knew pretty much the ins and outs of the pack.

"Do you agree with the things he does?" I asked, abruptly, remembering Alexander's past.

Zynthéa didn't strike me as someone who wanted to murder other Wolves, but considering she was Alexander's sister, I couldn't be completely sure.

"With the things he does?" she repeated, confused. "What things?"

I narrowed my eyes at her, not understanding whether she was playing dumb or if she genuinely wasn't sure what I was referring to.

"Killing innocent Wolves."

Zynthéa's smile dropped, but she didn't hold my gaze. Instead her focus remained on the orchid plant.

"I'm not sure how much you know, but I owe it to my brother to explain."

I studied her for a second, not sure what her words meant; was she aware or was she not, of the unforgivable acts her brother had undertaken?

"As for Dyami," Zynthéa's voice chirped, a smile plastered on her face. "I promise he isn't as bad as you imagine."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure. He looks like he could chew me up at any given moment."

Zynthéa giggled, loudly. "That would be a sight."

I gaped at her, shocked by her words. I wasn't sure if she was joking but when her eyes caught my expressions, she burst out laughing even louder.