Chapter 22

Battle over Ryloth

The bridge of the Terran flagship was filled with the battle chatter from their command chain, pilots, and grounds forces. Everyone was occupied doing something trying to keep up with all the commands while the commander overlooked the placements of his ships and the enemies. Despite being heavily outnumbered they were still able to hold their own and would have certainly wiped out the original republic forces, but the addition of more of their ships had caused major setbacks in the terrans plan to control the planet.

The republic had basically rushed them with a mass number of troops hoping that their numbers alone would cripple their defenses, but numbers and speed alone would only help them for so long. The power of the terrans technology would quickly catch up to them. Not only this, but the terrans had not even mobilized a portion of their forces and if the entire population of Terra was to go out for war, the republic and separatist could be doomed to fall.

Back with the commander he was coordinating his fleet until an officer yelled. "Sir. Multiple unidentified ships are about to enter the system."

The commander hearing this freezes on what he was doing before looking at the officer. On the outside his face was stoic. In the inside he was thinking of the possible threat that was about to enter the system. Should he send some of his forces to intercept them or wait till they enter the system to figure out who their visitor was. Both of these choices would have devastating consequences if his assumption was wrong.

If he changed his fleets formation the ground forces could be open for any republic attacks and if they didn't moved and the fleet entering the system was an enemy they would certainly lose most of the fleet.

He was stuck in a dilemma. Should he be cautious and send a fleet to intercept them which could leave their ground forces open to attacks or gamble and leave his fleet where it is right now and if wrong could lead to the destruction of his fleet.

These thoughts linger in his head for a few seconds before he finally makes his choice.
"All ships stay in battle formation. Our ground forces  are depending on us. We can't have another repeat happen again."

"If it is more republic reinforcements, we will have to take that blow."

As they continue to battle they only hope it's not more hostiles. Seconds later hundreds of ships appear out of hyperspace, none of them belonging to the republic, but could still be a threat that they don't know about yet.

"Are those...Mandalorian ships?" Someone questions as he inspects the ships more.

The commanders eyes widen in shock. He didn't know if they were friendly or foe. The last he heard the mandalorians were neutral before they even joined the war. They could have joined the war for multiple reasons.

They might have joined the war on the republic side because of their dispute over Zeridian or theirs as payback because of the war against the republic years ago. He didn't know and by the time he could make contact with them, they would already be over them. He had no choice but to wait for them to make the first move.

As the commander watch the mandalorians come closer one of the ships fire it's blaster in their direction, but not at them. It's target was the clone fighters. Everyone on the bridge stands up looking as the mandalorians ships passes by as most of them cheer as each one enters combat.

As they cheer the commander let's out a breath of air that he didn't even know he was holding in. This had caused a great amount of stress on his body and being wrong in a situation like this could stop someone in command to try and command troops ever again if the consequences were heavy.