Kayce Dutton

Your suitcase, standing at the end of your bed, was ready. All your clothes were packed and the other stuff, like books and paintings, were already divided and organized in card boxes. You looked around the now empty space, that once was your own personal sanctuary, and a small sigh escaped your lips. 

Soon, you would be saying goodbye to Montana and to your life there. Your decision was made, but inside you, deep down in your heart, all you wanted to do was staying... But how could you, when staying would mean seeing Kayce every day, and keep lying to him about your feelings. 

You were almost sure that Kayce would never see you the same way you see him... With true love in your eyes. For him, you would always be his best friend since kids... The girl he used to play with in the playground. 

Suddenly, a knock on the door, made you jump. You were not expecting anyone at the moment, because the moving company would only be at your apartment at the end of the day. So who was knocking at your door?

When you opened the apartment's door, the surprise of seeing Kayce took over you.

"Kayce?", you said, when he smiled at you. He looked tired.

"Can I come in?", he asked, making you stand out of the way to let him enter the apartment. He had been there before, so there was no need of a guided tour.

"What are you doing here?", you asked after closing the door. He was standing in the middle of the room looking at you. 

"Please, don't leave me.", he said, getting straight to the point. "You're my best friend.".

His eyes showed sincerity. Like he was there almost to beg you to stay.

"You don't get it, do you?", you asked, crossing your arms in front of your chest. "I don't want to be your best friend.", you just blurted out.

Kayce was still standing in front of you. His eyes looked bigger, analyzing the expression on your face before taking a step in your direction.

"I...", he opened his mouth to speak, but was afraid to ask you more.

"I love you, Kayce.", you confessed, looking at the floor. "I always did."

When you finally turned your head to see him, Kayce walked in your direction and held your hand on his.

"I didn't know...", he spoke, almost in a whisper. He was so close to you that you were afraid he could see how nervous you were. For years, you had been hiding the feelings you felt about him, but now that you were moving out of Montana, there was no reason to keep lying.

You wanted to say something more, but couldn't find the right words. Kayce was still holding your hand when, looking at your eyes, he spoke again:

"Can I kiss you?", he asked, making you feel like your heart missed a beat.

You simply nodded as Kayce's face became closer to yours. His soft lips touched your slightly at first, like a kid's first kiss. Then his hands travelled to your face holding you, when he kissed you deeply. His lips tasted like paradise. For years, you wondered what kissing Kayce would be like.

He controlled the kiss, playing with your tongue and exploring your kiss, going slowly at first. Your heart was racing fast, like it could just jump out of your chest at any minute. 

Kayce stopped the kiss, still with his forehead against yours, and smiled.

"I always wanted to do this.", he said, still trying to control his breath. 

"Why didn't you ask for it sooner?", you smiled.

Maybe you wouldn't need to leave Montana after all.