Rip Wheeler

Author's note: Inspired by the song "If I knew what was good for me" by Chris Young.

Warning: bad language.

*****

Another day of hard work was done, and the cowboys were opening cold beers, ready to play some cards on the bunkhouse. But this time Rip wasn't feeling in the mood for that. So instead of being with the cowboys, Rip left the bunkhouse to feel the warm breeze of the sunset touch his face.

Looking at the big house, his eyes were almost immediately attracted to the window where your bedroom was. For some seconds, he remembered all the times he saw you staring back at him from the same window before you escape in the middle of the night to be with him. On his little cabin, you and Rip spend so many nights in secret, making love and talking like only lovers do. Even though you were his boss's daughter, Rip couldn't help himself from falling in love with the most beautiful and smart girl he has ever seen.

But deep down in his heart, Rip always felt like he didn't deserve you. He was a wild man, born and raised as a cowboy, and that was everything he was good at doing. And you were a nice girl, much different from your sister Beth or even Kayce. For so many times, Rip questioned himself how could a girl like you fall in love with a cowboy like him...

So a couple of nights ago, Rip decided to make the one thing he promised never doing: break your heart.

You were laying in bed beside him. Your bodies still sweating as you both tried to catch your breaths. Rip looked at you, with your pinkish cheeks and pretty eyes, and took a small lock of hair from the front of your forehead to the side.

"(Y/N).", he said your name.

You looked at him and smiled, unaware of the next words that would come from Rip's lips.

"I think you should go.", he simply says.

"What?", you ask, thinking that you didn't hear him well.

"Please just go."

The expression on your face showed surprise.

"You're telling me to leave?", you ask, sitting on the bed. Rip does the same thing, standing beside you. "Did I do something wrong?"

Rip couldn't feel worse... He just wanted to hold you in his arms and kiss you 'till you knew how much he loves you. But he just couldn't get rid of the idea that you deserve better than him. John Dutton would like for his daughter to marry a good man, maybe an architect or a lawyer, not a cowboy like him.

"You have done nothing wrong, (Y/N).", he says.

He saw you shake your head slightly, before leaving the bed to get dressed up. You didn't even get your boots on as you walked to the bedroom door.

"I guess it was all just fucking for you.", you said, looking behind you one last time.

And it broke Rip's heart into a million pieces to see you walking out of the door.

Now, Rip was standing outside your house thinking about you. He hated the way he misses you more than anyone before... Only if Rip knew what was good for him, he would still be holding you close in his arms.