The Collector

Waking up in the middle of the night wasn't an odd occurrence; waking up with no sign of Asa was. Reaching over to his spot in the bed, I noticed that it was still made, evidence of his absence.

Rolling over, I noticed the figure standing at the foot of the bed. I laid down on my back taking deep breathes. Yet I focused as hard as I could to make out their appearance in my peripheral view.

Swinging my legs over the bed with a huff, I grab my robe from off the corner of the headboard. I searched for my phone under the pillow, as well as swiping the knife from under the mattress.

Hiding the knife in my hand, under my robe, I left the room. I went to the bathroom down the hall and closed the door, locking it. Going through my phone I went to Asa's number, dialing it. After two rings, he picked up.

"Asa, someone is in the house, they was standing over the bed when I woke up." I whispered into the phone, panicking a bit. I got no answer.

"Asa?" I moved away from the door as I heard footsteps coming closer towards my location.

My phone vibrated, it was a text from Asa.

'Come on out little bug…'

I hung up the phone, and called out his name, he didn't say anything.

"Please say something so I know that it's you." I came closer to the door.

Instead of a response, I heard the lock click on the bathroom door. Stepping away, I braced myself against the opposite wall. He opened the door slowly, and his eyes instantly was on me. He came closer to me, but his height, his walk, and his smell all screamed Asa. He had on contacts, but that glare didn't change regardless of eye color. I still could see his lips through the mask, and I couldn’t deny it any longer that the man in front of me was Asa.

I didn't know if I should be scared or happy, one thing for sure is that I was relieved to know that no one broke in the house. Yet, I still didn't know his intensions on what was happening.

He had me pressed against the wall, chest to chest, well the height difference made it more chest to upper abdomen. I reached my hands up towards his face, not trying to take the mask off.

"You scared me you know." I whispered to him, and I saw that little smirk appear. He leaned down with parted lips, observing me a bit.

"You're smarter than I thought, little bug." He rested his hand on the side of my throat, thumb stoking the side of my cheek.

"Can you tell me what's going on, love bug?" I used his nickname, he stiffened a bit.

"I think you know, love bug." He leaned down looking me in the eyes.

"Yes, I can see that, but why now?" I searched his eyes for answers.

"I wanted to test you." He simply said.

"Well, did I pass?" I asked him.

"We'll see." He leaned away from me.

"Well, umm, can we get to bed and talk about it in the morning? I thought something happened to you when I saw you weren't here. I got worried, only to see you looming in the darkness, then you didn't answer the phone." I felt the tears stinging my eyes, a few escaping.

"Let me get ready for bed, I need to clean up first." He took his mask off, revealing the black makeup around his eyes.

"You amaze me, bug boy." I shook my head, looking down at the floor, placing the knife on the counter.

He looked at me with an arched eyebrow, amused yet shocked.

"I didn't know that it was you, I had to defend myself someway." I told him.

"Then why not pull it out when I came in the bathroom?" He asked.

"Because I wasn't going to pull it out unless it was going in your neck, not just to wave it around." I told him.

"Smart." He leaned down, giving me a kiss on my head, running the water for a shower.

"Come on, join me." He reached a hand out to me.

I took it and he slowly undressed me, then himself, ridding his eyes of the black contacts. I helped him wash off, noticing the new bruises and cuts on him.

"So are these also from your collecting business?" I asked him.

He just looked over his shoulder, nodding. He continued to wash his face and hair.

"Are you going to treat me any differently?" I asked him.

"Do you want me to treat you differently?" He turned around, water dripping from his hair.

"No, I don't, but it explains a lot of things." I wrapped my arms around his waist.

"I'm sure it do, let's get into the bed now, yes?" He turned the water off.

He grabbed two towels, wrapping one around himself the other around me. I scooped up our clothes and put them in the hamper. Asa handed me my robe and the knife, standing behind me as we walked back to the room.

He went inside of the closet, putting on his pajama pants. He gave me my sleeping shorts and a bra, helping me slip them on.

"How do you expect me to handle this?" I asked him.

"I don't, but if you want me to be completely honest with you. I didn't expect you to react the way that you did. Therefore I suspect that you will be prepared incase someone becomes… suspicious of me." He told me.

"Well, I suppose I should come clean too, hmm?" I looked over to Asa who just laid down to face me.

"What do you mean?" He frowned a bit.

"I'm not allowed to speak about it, but I used to be a spy for the government. I only did it for 3 years, I only did it so I could have fully paid, accelerated university course. Hence why I got my doctorate's in 5 years." I told him.

"You use to be a spy, and you didn't know I was the Collector?" He asked

"Well, I had my suspicion of you hiding something, but I don't like to evade others privacy unless I have to. I still get contracts from time to time, but I'm a free agent. I don't have to take them, but most of the time it's local stuff." I confessed.

"Huh, you surprise me even more. Lets go to sleep, we'll talk more in the morning. I'll take the day off, so can you."

I turned around, my back to Asa's front, he wrapped an arm around me, pulling me closer to him