Roller Blades, Picnics, and Jealousy

Thomas Hewitt x Reader

It's was a hot summer day, but when is it not a hot summer day in Texas.

Luda Mae just called me, she wanted me to come and look at the AC unit at the station. She claim it wasn't blowing strong enough, as if it was a fan.

At first glance I was going to just drive, but then I remembered the roller blades I just bought. I already had on a dress for the weather but I slipped on some short white shorts with it, just in case. I grabbed my bag putting in a water bottle, a frozen water bottle and a towel. Putting it on my back, I grabbed my big sun hat and headed towards the road.

I was nearing the plant and I noticed a lot of people just standing around outside. Slowing down I looked around so I could figure out what was going on.

Prepping for the ground difference, I approached a man closes to the entrance.

"Hey, what's going on? Why are you guys standing outside?" I asked him.

"They paid some inspectors to come in today so they can tell them what they need to fix so 'fore the actual inspectors come out. They said it's gonna take an hour or two. We can't leave or we don't get paid." The man frowned.

"Oh, okay, thank you." I told him.

I looked around for Thomas, but knowing him he was somewhere hidden. Going out on limb, I went over to the other side of the building, near where they load the cattle. Although no cows were outside today.

"Hey Miss! Don't go over there! That freak is over there!" The man I was just talking to yelled over to me.

"Thanks!" I waved back at him and continued onward.

As soon as I got to the corner, there Thomas was, leaning against the building.

"Hey Tommy." I slide to a stop in front of him.

His eyes went wide, then confused.

"Luda Mae called me to look at the AC, I saw everyone standing outside and looked for you." I told him.

He nodded his head and looked down at my feet.

"You look nice." He signed to me.

I did a little spin for him, "do you like my skates?"

He nodded his head in return.

"Its really hot out here, there's no telling how long you're going to be out here." I took my bag off handing him the water.

He shook his head at me.

"That's yours." He signed.

"I have another one, just take this one." I gave it to him again.

He took the bottle and begin to drink from it. I got the towel and wiped his face off. It was a little cold from the ice bottle and I heard him groan from relief. Smiling at his reaction, I grabbed the bottle, putting it to his neck.

He groaned and we both laughed.

"Had I known you were going to be out here, I would've gotten you a colder bottle to keep." I told him.

"I better get going, before your mom starts to wonder where I am." I reached my arms out for him.

He leaned down giving me a soft yet firm kiss. I turned around so he can put the bottles back in my bag.

"If you're still out here when I get back, I'll stay out here with you." I told him.

"You don't have to." He signed.

"Yeah, but I want to." I told him.

He picked me up, bridal style and started to walk me back towards the road. Practically everyone was looking at us as he put me down on the gravel. I skates off slowly, as he went back to his spot on the corner of the building. I waved to him and signed 'i love you' to him, and he returned the gesture. I hurried to Luda Mae to make up for lost time.

When I got there I told her what happened. I looked at the AC, the filter needed cleaning. I just put in the replacement and was going to clean the other one later. I also fixed the power cord so it was blowing way better when I finished.

"Here, I packed you two sandwiches and two cokes for you two. You weren't here long so I reckon he still out there." She told me.

I grabbed an umbrella as well and places it on the counter.

"How much you charging me?" I asked her.

"Consider it a payment for the air conditioner." She said.

"Well if that's the case." I still put twenty dollars in the tip jar. Her face showed a scowl, but I knew she appreciate it anyway.

"Alright mama, I'll see you later." I said.

"Come on over for dinner, I'm making pot roast. I have it in the slow cooker now." She told me.

"Oh I'm not gonna miss that." I waved to her as I left.

I skates down the road with my bag feeling heavier than just sandwiches and cokes. I wonder what else Luda Mae put in this bag. I decided not to look and continued to the plant.

Sure enough, they were still outside. I skated to a stop then got on the dirt, making my way to Thomas.

"I'm back!" I greeted him with a smile.

"Welocme back." He signed, with a smile.

"Mama packed us some sandwiches and sodas and something else, I don't know what though. I pulled out a thin sheet that was folded very good.

"Oh look at that, now we can sit down." Thomas took the sheet from my hand and placed it towards the fence so we can lean up against it.

He sat down, I sat in his lap and pulled out all of the food. I took my sun hat off, placing it on his head. Before he had the chance to protest, I pulled out the umbrella and effectively gave us some shade.

From where we were sitting, the men in the lot could see us, so we were no longer hidden. I don't think Thomas really cared that they were staring at us.

We were sitting in silence, therefore we could hear the men grumbling amongst themselves about me and Thomas. Even seeing them getting on the phone, demanding their significant other to come keep them company. Soon, you started to see a few cars coming, but with nothing but women coming out of them. Most of them drove together from the looks of it.

"Looks like they're jealous that I'm here with you." I said.

"That, and the food, the everything." Thomas laughed at the men in the lot.

You can see them talking to their s/o and pointing in our direction. Eventually one of them made eye contact with me, to which I waved at them with a smile. Completely unbothered by their envious glares.

"I hope all this attention don't bring more negative attention your way." I signed to him.

"I doubt it, most of them avoid me anyway. Now, they're thinking, how did I land a beautiful woman." He signed to me.

"Awww, Tommy." I leaned and gave him a kiss.

"I bet that'll get a reaction of of them." I laughed.

After a moment, Thomas started to sign again.

"That was a well needed picnic." He signed.

"In more than one way?" I asked.

"In more than one way." He smiled a bit.

Someone inside the plant came outside. They made an announcement. Basically they plant was going to be closed for three days, so they can do a thorough deep clean and replace some of the machinery. Everyone would get paid for their hours today, but they wouldn't be able to work any more today.

"Hey look like you have some off days? You want to visit some properties with me?" We stood up and packed up the stuff.

"You're going to flip a house here?" He asked me.

"No actually, I plan on finding a place to rent out. I'm only going to find maybe 2 places for out here. They are going to be houses though." I told him.

"Do you think you could help me get into property?" He asked.

"Of course, we can talk about all of that later though." I had took off my skates when we first sat down, putting on my foldable flats.

We walked towards the road and Thomas signed something.

"This is starting to get sad now, but still amusing." He signed.

"Oh definitely." I chuckled a bit.

"What is that he's doing with his hands?" I hear a woman's voice from behind.

"Its called American Sign Language, or ASL." I turned and said to her.

"Sign Language, what?" She said.

"Typically it's used for those with hearing impairments or those who are mute." I told her as I signed what I was saying.

"Mute?" She said.

"Those who don't or can't speak." I informed her.

"So... he's mute?" She gesture to Thomas.

I looked back at Thomas and he signed yes, also while nodding.

"Oh wow, um l, alright, have a nice day." She hurried off before I couldn't say anything.

I looked back at Thomas and we both shrugged, we then heard her scolding her husband.

"Y'all've been picking on that poor boy, claiming he couldn't understand you, when the whole time he just can't talk." We couldn't hear the husband response.

We continued walking down the road, hand in hand.