Babbles and Coos

Bubba Sawyer x Reader

All I wanted to do was help, but my mind and body were never on the same page. It started early this morning. I try to stay away from all the gore of skinning the body. I still wanted to help Bubba, so I went to sharpen his knives for him.

I walked inside the basement and he always have them on a table, the ones he use most often. Hanging on the wall was the sharpener, so I grabbed it and started. For the most part, I think they were pretty sharp. I walked away from the table, but one of the handles got caught in my shirt. In an effort to keep it from falling, I sliced my palm with it, it wasn't deep enough that I needed stitches, but man did it hurt. I rushed upstairs to clean it, and wrapped a bandage over it.

The next incident was trying to catch someone on the road. I was pretending to be a hitchhiker, in the end, it worked, just not how it was supposed to go. I almost passed out from being in the heat for so long. Some people in a caravan pulled over to give me some water, which then I asked them for a ride. I had to stay inside the rest of the day, Bubba wouldn't let me leave the room.

Today though, was the most recent and what made me finally broke.

One of the people weren't dead and I was the one that came across them. I was trying to put up a fight, I was able to hold off until help arrived. The adrenaline disguised the pain, so I felt it once everything dialed down.

So here I am, crying in the tub, with Bubba trying to calm me down. Babbling and cooing, patting my head and trying to wash me up.

"I just don't want to feel like a burden, you know?" I hiccuped.

"I don't want to feel like I'm just here, I want to be able to help. Every time I try, I end up hurting myself." Bubba patted my head.

"Yes, I know. I guess I'll just stick to cleaning up and helping cook."

Bubba started to point to himself, babbling some more.

"Yes, I can still keep you company." I laughed through tears.

"It stupid how I just sprained my wrist and ankle, I cut my hand this morning, and just yhis afternoon I almost got heat stroke." I leaned back in the tub.

Bubba just comforted me some more and drained the tub water. He wrapped a towel around me and took me to our room.

I stopped crying, but he was still babbling and cooing to me, trying to lift my spirits.

He started to wrap my ankle and wrist the best he could, I could just fix it later.

"Thank you Bubba, I don't deserve you, you know that?" I patted his head.

He got up and pressed his lips to mines, giving me a really tight hug. He pulled back and showed me the sign for 'I love you' that I taught him.

"I love you too Bubba." I wrapped my arms around him again.

All the house work was done for the day, we just waited for the food to be done.

Bubba got in the bed with me, and held me close until I fell asleep.