chapter 16

A lot can happen in a few hours...
Charles had just dragged me out on a little adventure in the paddock. I had no idea where we were going. He had even put his hood on trying to blend into the environment.

We went around to a few different places he really wanted to show me. If I'm honest I didn't see why but I figured he just wanted to be around me so I let him.

His phone started to ring and he picked it up. He spoke some words in Italian I think, I'm not very good at languages.

-I'm so sorry Alex I need to go back right now. It's almost time for quali so I need to hurry, he said in a stressed voice.

-No it's fine, go do your thing. I'll find my way back on my own, I said.

-Are you sure?

-Yes, I'm sure. I'll be back to see you drive during quali and then we'll meet after that. I assured him.

-Okay, thanks. He said before giving me a kiss on the cheek. I need to run now.

He took off before I even had the chance to say goodbye. Oh god, now I need to find the way back on my own. I'm going to get so lost.

I started walking the way we came from. Or, at least I think it was the way we came from. It was still a lot of people in the paddock. I tried to navigate around to find the Ferrari motorhome. When I looked up trying to see if I could find some signs I bumped into a girl. She had long black hair and wore a cute navy dress.

-Oh I'm so so sorry, I said to her.

-No it's fine really, I'm Lily. We've never met I think, the girl said.

-No, it's my first time here. I'm Alexandra by the way but people call me Alex.

-I feel like I've seen you before, she said. You look familiar.

-I do? I said swallowing hard.

-Are you lost? she asked breaking the silence. Where are you headed?

-Um, the Ferrari motorhome. I said hoping I wouldn't give to much away.

-Oh really, she said with a little smirk. You just have to go this way.

She pointed at the opposite direction. We parted our ways after saying goodbye to each other. She seemed nice. Hopefully she mixed me up with someone else and didn't recognise me from the photo with Charles.

I got back to the motorhome, finally. It took some time but I made it just in time for the qualifying session. I was really excited to go and see it.

Q1 and Q2 went by fast. Charles was close to the top after both runs. Then there was time for Q3. He set a good time early claiming the top of the list but then the others were just too fast. It ended with Russell taking pole position. Verstappen, Hamilton and Sainz close after. Then Charles P5 on the grid for tomorrow.

Charles went to do media talk and such things before I could see him. I patiently waited in his room like I had done after the practice runs.
As he entered I quickly ran up to him for a hug and then gave him a kiss.

-Oh if I'm getting this for a p5 I wonder what you will give me when I'm taking pole, he said with a laugh.

-Well you'll see when you do, I said in a flirty tone. But really you did good out there, I continued.

-Well yeah. I would had been able to at least be p4 but it is what it is, he said with a frown.

-Hey, you'll do better tomorrow. I know you will, I said. And you still did good today.

-Thanks, he said giving me a big smile. And yes I will do better tomorrow.

He kissed me again before we made ourselves ready to go back to the hotel. Charles had some things to do with the engineers so I waited for him. I stood by a window where I could see parts of the paddock. Suddenly something caught my eye. It that the Lily girl with Alex? Wait is Charles friend Alex also a driver? I was so confused.

Charles came back from the talk with the engineers. He was ready to go with me now. We started to walk out of the motorhome. Continuing along the paddock.

-I just need to ask you, I started so say.

-What? he asked.

-You know your friend Alex who was on the plane with you when we met.

-Yes...Alex Albon, he said with a confused look on his face.

-Is he also a driver?

-Um yeah. Didn't you know?

-No, you never told me.

-You have literally watched the practice runs and the quali. How would you not know? he said now starting to laugh at me.

-Hey don't laugh at me. I said pretending to be mad, something that didn't go so well.

-Did you wonder anything else? he asked not expecting anything.

-Actually yes, I said. Is his girlfriend's name Lily?

-Yeah, he said really confused now.

-Oh I met her earlier today. Maybe that's why she recognised me.

-Yeah, Alex has probably told her about you.

-Have you talked to Alex about us? I asked.

-Um yeah. Actually... he started saying before we bumped into a guy in a white and navy shirt with a cap on backwards. He had a big smile on his face when he saw us.

-Hey Charles, he said excited. I was onto you today mate, only 17 hundreds behind that P5 of yours.

-Yeah, but I still beat you to a P6 though. Charles said back to him smiling as he did.

-Oh sorry, is this the girl you told me about? Hi, I'm Pierre it's so nice to finally meet you. He said holding his hand out.

-Hi I'm Alex, I said while I shaked his hand.

-I've heard so many things about you, Pierre continued to say.

-Only great things I hope, I said while looking over at Charles.

We continued to talk with Pierre for a while before he needed to go. We said our goodbyes and continued to walk down the end of the paddock.

-So does all of your driver friends know? I finally asked him.

-Um no, only like Pierre and Albon. Oh and uh Carlos and George, oh and Lando of course. he said mumbling on his words.

-So half of the grid eh. I said while I started to laugh.

-So you're not like mad at me or something? he asked shocked by my laugh.

-No of course not, as long as everyone keeps quiet.

We arrived to the car and drove back to the hotel. We ordered room service like the other nights and had a good time eating it all in bed. We snuggled up and watched some youtube before we decided to take a shower, together. After that we fell asleep quickly tired and ready for the day tomorrow.

Because tomorrow wasn't any other day. It was race day.

———