chapter 23

Charles' POV:
I had just finished FP3. It had gone really good considering we had some issues yesterday. I had just left the Ferrari hospitality when I met both Carlos and Pierre. I joined then in their conversation and started walking with them.

-No, I started. No you can't say that chess is boring Pierre.

-All I'm saying is that very slow, he said.

-Pierre you're wrong, Carlos stated. Anyways, Charles I thought Alex was with you this weekend. Where is she I haven't seen her all week?

-Oh no she's here, I said. She just said that she would get here later.

We sat down to have lunch together and continued our conversation.

-Why? Pierre asked and teased. Is she already tired of you?

-What? No, why would- was all I could say before he cut me off again.

-Hey hey I'm joking Charles, Pierre said laughing slightly.

-Well she said she didn't feel well and that she would come here before quali, I said enjoying my pasta.

-Well isn't qualifying in an hour? Carlos asked. Shouldn't she be here then.

-Yeah she will probably be here any minute, I said looking away not wanting them to see me worrying.

-Charles is everything okay between you guys? Pierre asked.

I told them that everything was great. I hadn't felt like this ever. I had butterflies everytime I talked to her or even saw her.

-Oh wow Pierre our boy is in love, Carlos said nudging Pierre.

-Wait.. what? No, I said.

Or was I falling for Alex? I mean she was amazing. But I hadn't felt this way before, did that really mean I was in love?

We talked for while more and then I remembered Alex meltdown the morning after more pictures had leaked.

I told them about Alex's reaction and that I didn't know what to do or say. I mean yeah everybody had meltdowns, but I really didn't want to do anything wrong when Alex had one. They told me just to be supportive and always be ther for her.

-But what if that's why she's not here, Pierre said like he was smart or something. What if she's not here because she's scared.

-Ahh yes she's scared about the media, Carlos said finishing the sentence.

I knew she didn't like the fact that the media had pictures, but was it why? I told the guys that I had to go and started to take out my phone from my pocket. I dialed Alex's number. It was ringing for so long until she finally picked up.

-Hey, I said. I just wanted to see how you were doing. Are you feeling better?

-Yeah I mean it's a bit better but still not one hundred percent.

Just as I was about to say something my PT called for me. I had to go get ready for qualifying.

-Okay.. erm Alex I have to go, I said taking faster steps towards the red building. I hope you'll feel better later, I love you.

I hung up the phone, fast. D-did I really say that? Oh shit the boys were right. I really hoped that Alex hadn't heard what I said st the end. My PT approached me and said we needed to get to the warm up and start to get ready. I followed him and tried to start thinking about qualifying.

The warm up was useless, I wasn't focused at all and my trainer could see that I wasn't here right now. He asked me if anything was wrong, but I didn't want him or the team to worry so I said "No".

I realized that I had to focus, I didnt want to start at the back of the grid tomorrow. The car had been absolutely fantastic this year and I was battling Max for the world championship.

After Qualifying
Qualifying went okay. I would have loved to be on pole or on the front row but all I could do today was P5. Even though I was more focused on before I still count stop thinking about what I had said.

I got out of the car and thanked the team once again. I tried to hurry when all the analyzing was done. I got in the car and drove to the hotel. Luckily there wasn't that much traffic so I could drive there without any problem. I parked the car and took the elevator up to our level.

Approaching the hotel door I became nervous. What if she heard I said "I love you"? I took out my key card and pressed it to the door. I walked in to a quiet room. I continued further into the room and saw Alex sleeping on the bed. She looked so beautiful laying there even though she was sleeping. Wow.

I sat down on the bed next to her and started stroking her hair. She started to move a little bit and slowly opening her eyes.

-Have you been sleeping all day? I asked her when she had woken up.

-No I saw qualifying, Alex answered turning towards me.

-But you didn't come down to the paddock? I asked trying to see if she was scared to be there.

She stopped smiling when I said that. Something was wrong. This wasn't like Alex.

-Are you scared about the media? I told you I would protect you.

-Yeah I know, she said now sitting up in bed.

-Hey, I said grabbing her face so I could look her in the eye. I am not going to let them find out who you are. Not in the paddock, not in Monaco. Not until you want them to know. If you ever would want.

She was now looking at me. Listening to what I said.

-I don't want to hide forever, she said shyly. But, I just can't right now.

We sat there in bed for a while. I assured her once again that I would protect her. As I held her in my arms I knew that what I had said earlier was true. I love Alex.

———