02 Celeste And Earrings

Saturn
My Nonna and I look very similar. We both have sun-kissed, olive skin, long coffee-coloured hair-hers is wavy and mine is more curly. The only few differences are, instead of being 5'7 like my Nonna, I am roughly 5', 5'1 if we are being generous. I am very short. I also have two different colored eyes unlike my Nonna's striking green. I have one brown eye and one green eye. It's not too noticeable unless you are up close but Nonna says it's her favorite thing about me. 'Sei unico, amore mio.' (You are unique, my love)

Since she told me to dress nice i decided on a beautiful long pale yellow dress, with pink flowers dancing all over. I feel so pretty.

I paired it with my favourite platform sneakers and made my way downstairs

I fed my babies after they loudly meowed at me repeatedly while I was getting ready. They are lucky they are cute.

It was a beautiful fall day. The sun was blazing but it wasn't uncomfortable. The leaves were starting to fall, so our front yard was beginning to be decorated in the many different coloured leaves. I sat on the swinging chair on our front porch, drinking some chamomile and lavender tea, and petting my babies waiting for Nonna to come tell me what we are doing today.

Just as I thought about her, she opened the upper half of our Dutch door and peaked her head my way

"Ciao my love. We are going to leave in about-" she checked her wrist watch, "ten minutes. Finish up your tea and meet me by the gate in the front."

I nodded my head and quickly finished up my tea and made my way to the front of our house.

We have one of those old-time barn doors as a front door so it splits in the middle. You can open either side. It's called a dutch door.

I met Nonna at the gate and we held hands as we began walking

I met Nonna at the gate and we held hands as we began walking. We live about 10 minutes walking distance from our town so on days like these we enjoy taking walks instead of driving.

The route we take is simply beautiful. It's a path with trees surrounding it. There are beautiful flowers of all different colours and types lines through the trees. My favourite is lavender. Lavender is not only my favourite colour but the scent is wonderful. I love it.

"Stellina, I was thinking we could go to the apothecary and get some new herbs to play with. After we can get sushi and then we can finish up the day at the book store. What do you think?" (Star)

I love this woman.

"YES! Y-you don't have to ask me twice! Let's go Nonna!" I jumped up and down pulling on her arm. I am so excited this day just keeps getting better.

When I get really excited I stutter it can be very embarrassing but after everything that happened my stutter really comes out when I'm excited or around new people.

"Okay okay Saturn! Relax love. We're going, we're going." Nonna laughed.

After around 10 minutes we got to town and another 5 minutes later we were in the apothecary. This is my favourite place. My Nonna is great friends with the owner, Celeste. Celeste said whenever I am ready I can have a job here. She knows about my anxieties and my past. She doesn't judge. I like Celeste.

I opened the door and the little chime from the bell notified Celeste that we were here.

Through the back door, in walks Celeste. She is beautiful. Long red hair, she is as old as my Nonna but looks young as ever. What are these women drinking? I hope I look like this when I'm in my late 60s. She was wearing a bandana in her hair and had a green sundress on. It complimented her hair wonderfully.

"My favorite girls! Hello my loves!" Celeste brought us both in for a hug

"Ciao Celeste! How are you? How is Amber?"

Amber is Celeste's wife of 5 years.

"Oh she's a pain in my ass but she's lucky she's so pretty." She said with a chuckle, "We are doing beautifully thank you for asking. Now, why are you two here? It's not Sunday? Does it happen to be a special day or something?" She faked confusion.

We always go see Celeste and stock up on our herbs for the upcoming week on Sundays.

"Celeste!" I drew out the e. "You know what day it is. You're just being silly." I pouted at her. She knows my birthday.

"Do I? Hm I don't seem to remember?" She walked to the back counter and propped her hands up on her chin.

"I'll give you a guess. What is the date?" I hopefully gave her a hint.

"Today is, let me check, oh! Today is October 9th." She gasped. "I do know what day it is."

She walked around the counter but now she held one hand behind her back.

Nonna watched with gentle eyes and a soft smile.

Celeste stepped in-front of me and slowly took her hand out from behind her back. She opened her hand, palm facing the sky. In her hand was a beautiful set of gold hoop earrings. With tiny hearts dangling from them. They were dainty, classy, and just my style.

"Happy birthday my little flower."

My jaw was still open when I wrapped my arms around her neck and hugged her tight. Chanting 'thank you, I love you' over and over and over again.

"Celeste these are too much. Beautiful, but too much."

"Nothing you don't deserve my dear. Now take them. Let's see how they look, yes?"

I nodded my head and she put the earrings in my ears. She then handed me a mirror and I had to fight back tears with how beautiful they looked.

I am so grateful

I am so grateful.