ᵇᵉᵍⁱⁿ

A teenage girl stood in the middle of a small apartment frantically throwing essentials into a large black rucksack, moans of the undead could be heard on the streets below the occasional sound of skin dragging against the ash felt road

She gagged at the sound as she threw half her closet into the bag, pulling on black cargo pants and a purple crop top paired with lace up combat boots that sported butterfly charms on the laces.

 After ensuring she had all the essentials, she made her way to the small kitchenette grabbing her lighter and matches putting them into one of the pockets on her pants, pulling open drawers she grabbed whatever she could to help ensure her survival including string, three filled water bottles, food that would last, a small first aid kit and her trusty pocketknife.

Looking out the window, she saw the sun was slowly rising, she had been watching the zombies for the past few days and noticed they were less active in the sun, the became drowsy as if they were cats. Hiking her rucksack onto her back, she looked around the main rooms once more ensuring she hadn't left anything behind. 

After triple checking that her oven wasn't on, she opened the door to her apartment a butcher's knife in one hand, the other holding tightly onto her bags strap. After looking both ways down the hall she stepped out quietly closing the door behind herself and ensuring she locked it up. It might be an apocalypse but that didn't mean people could just walk into her apartment as if they paid the stupidly expensive weekly rent.

Checking behind her once more she set off down the stairs making her way into the foyer cautiously, she headed towards the big glass doors pulling one open and stepping out into the sunlight she began to walk down to road, looking back over her shoulder at the apartment complex, the big building seemingly empty with no cars parked in front of it and no lights on in any of the windows. 

She knew she'd not see her home again for a while and simply nodded to herself knowing she'd be fine. She was raised to be independent and rely on her skills, she knew staying would end up in disaster with the poor security and compact hallways that provided only one escape route.

Imani held her head high as she walked away from the Sergeant Jasper no longer feeling heavy, this was her new beginning and so help her she'd make it to Christmas, steal a plane and join her family for dinner.