Prologue

Just a bit of thievery

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Imani Reed was what people liked to call an overachieving underachiever; she had many goals however she rarely acted on them. When she did however, she did so with ease as long as it was ensured to piss someone she disliked off.

A Russian transfer appeared, and the girl in school that picked on her for her background Laura or Lauren, or something had a crush on him so what did she do? She learnt Russian and flirted with him till he gave her his everything before she dumped him, it took her a month.

The cocky 'prized' track runner who was set to win a gold medal for the school pulled on her hair and called her derogatory names? She picked up running, beat his record by 10 seconds won the medal and then never ran again.

Papa always told her to fight others by taking away what they most wanted instead of being physical, she could always hear his words in her head "Remember Butterfly, hurt them in a way they will never recover".

Sure, she kind of enjoyed running or flirting with the Russian boy but then they became boring, tedious tasks. So yes, she was an overachieving underachiever who never made friends like the rest of her year did, hell she didn't even know the names of the people she was in a class with for five years. But that was just who Imani was, she really did not give two flying fucks.

Leaning her head against the window Imani watched in wonder as her least favourite neighbour, had his arm ripped half off by a zombified adult woman. Blinking at her lack of empathy she wondered if she truly was becoming heartless. Dwelling on the thought for a second, she let out a giggle "Nahhh I'm just a bitch".

Finally turning back to look at her room she sighed at the fate she knew was inevitable, her suitcase was by the door, packed full of clothes, shoes, self-care products and food. Everything she had any attachment to which honestly wasn't a lot.

Rubbing a thumb over the gold cross that sat on her neck she let out a huff and dropped it. Her mama had given it to her for her 18th birthday last year and she never took it off despite not being religious, sure there may be a god out there maybe several, but she really just didn't care, they were up there she was down here big whoop, oh well.

She had decided to leave last night after running out of pre-saved Netflix shows to watch. Most of her belongings fit into the suitcase seeing as she had only come to America maybe three months ago for college and hadn't left for anything other than classes.

Blinking a thought struck her, did this mean she passed college now or would she have to start again? She really hoped it wasn't the latter. Standing from her comfy spot on the windowsill she stretched her back hearing it pop and felt her bones grate against each other - a chiropractor was top of the list to see when she got back home to see her Mama and Papa in Australia.

Without much thought she smoothed down the oversized graphic tee she was wearing and ensure her skirt was on straight as she slipped a kitchen knife into the lacy red thigh garter, she had ripped off a pair of stockings.

After making sure the knife was in a comfortable position on her leg whether she was crouched or standing she pulled on her chunky black sneakers grabbed the handle of her suitcase and opened the door to her apartment.

Poking her head out she looked left and right checking to make sure no zombies had somehow climbed the 20 flights of stairs in her apartment or managed to use the lift. Rolling her suitcase behind her she left the door to her apartment wide open she made her way down the hall quietly listening for any noise, zombie or human.

After pressing her ear against every door and hearing absolutely nothing so walked up to the door two doors down from her own and readied herself as she lifted her leg and slammed her entire weight into the foot watching in satisfaction as the wood around the door handle split allowing her to push the once locked door open.

Sauntering into the apartment she looked around noting everything she could, the kitchen was clean. It smelt of gunpowder and coffee mixed with a few other things she couldn't pick out with how faint they were.

No one had been here in a while she deduced. Leaving her suitcase next to the door she walked through each room in the apartment ransacking it thoroughly. Pouting after finding nothing useful in the kitchen or living room seeing as there was no food - fucking people didn't cook.

She moved onto the bedrooms, the first one was filled to the brim with notebooks and a few fish tanks filled with nothing. Well, it looked like nothing, but Imani knew better, there where jellyfish or fish in them, bioluminescent ones. Not dangerous but she wouldn't risk it having felt the effects of being stung by a jellyfish when she was 13.

Deciding to steer clear of the room she entered the other bedroom a door down, looking over the room she noted the traces of what looked like dirt on the floor and her face split into a wicked grin, no not dirt she theorised gun powder. And to prove her theory right, the room reeked of it like spoilt seafood on a hot day.

Walking around she went through the closet and desk draws anger flaring up when she found nothing. In anger she flipped the desk the contents spilling off it, one of the drawers falling out causing a loud thunk that caught her attention. That drawer had been void of anything sans a few pens that certainly wouldn't make that noise.

Walking over to the drawer she picked to up by the sides watching as a handgun fell out on top of a piece of wood, a secret compartment. Oh, how lucky she felt right now, Americans always seemed to have a gun somewhere and this one looked fancy.

Picking up the gun she carefully checked it over giving herself a crash course on it, they didn't really have guns in Australia, so she'd only seen it on TV but surprisingly it wasn't too hard to figure out, a safety switch, a place for the magazine of bullets to go and a trigger.

Ensuring the safety was switched on she shoved the gun up so it satin between her breasts, easy to grab the handle and pull out and secure enough that if she ran it wouldn't fall out. Should she feel bad about taking someone's stuff? Probably but really, it wasn't that bad just a bit of thievery. Besides they'd left it and she found it, so now per universal ruling it was hers.

With renewed sharpness her mind worked overtime as she analysed the room before her eyes settled on the bed. Moving to the side of it she bent her knees slightly and placed her hands just under the sides before she threw herself upwards pushing the mattress off the bed, the sheets going along with it.

Imani threw her head back letting out a laugh as she looked down at her discovery, oh this American had it all and now it was all hers. Oh, this was going to be so much fun.