ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ 3

Imani ran as fast as she could feeling her chest wheeze in protest as her body wanted to contort back into its normal state of being, a beautiful potato

Imani ran as fast as she could feeling her chest wheeze in protest as her body wanted to contort back into its normal state of being, a beautiful potato. She knew she had to be quick in retrieving the necessities for her survival, without stopping she ran straight through a chemist grabbing toothpaste, deodorant, Band-Aids, and a few other items she thought she'd need, shoving them into the box that held her mattress. Pausing momentarily, she looked back in the direction of the camping store, after seeing no movement she hurried along into target, the holy grail. Her favourite store. Grabbing a trolley, she walked the isles tossing in whatever she could. After finding fluffy blankets, a few handguns and magazines, CDs to listen to in her car and jars of preserved foods she was ready to go.

With a skip in her step Imani made her way towards the entrance of the mall only to halt as with his back turned to her stood a tall man dressed in black. The faint outline on a gun under his t-shirt and tucked into his jeans caught her eye as she heard him muttering loudly as her walked towards her jeep. Ducking into a nearby store whilst observing him ensuring her didn't see her she looked around please to see she was in a Duty free. With a wicked grin she began preparing a plan formulating in her mind, was it a bitch move she was going to pull? Absolutely. Worth it thought? Hell yes.

After packing all her items into a suitcase, she pushed the trolley towards the door with one hand a knife resting between and the other wheeling her suitcase behind her. With a giggle she shoved the trolley hard watching as it slammed through the glass of the store opposite to her, scary mumble's head snapping towards the sound as he stalked over to the store, gun drawn. Filled with adrenaline Imani flew towards the jeep throwing her knife into the man's leg to slow him down, she heard him hit the floor with a yell as she reached into her pocket and unlocked the jeep.

She yanked the door open and threw the suitcase onto the passenger's seat as she pulled herself inside and closed the door locking it. As she put the keys into the ignition feeling her origami earrings swap with her jolty movements she looked over to the man, her eyes widened as she saw more people had joined him. The three from the camping store, two unknown twins and the dude she had nearly run over before. She giggled slightly when she saw the smile on road kill's face as he looked at scary mumble his mouth moving in what she hoped was mockery. With one last gesture she peeled out of the car park leaving the men stunned at the girl who had just blown them a kiss after throwing a knife into one of their legs.

A yawn erupted from Imani's mouth; she hadn't done this much in months. Movement wasn't a necessity for her, she was blessed with a fast metabolism and sure she went to the gym sometimes but that was mostly to punch a bag or practice her taekwondo. Her father had gotten her into it, and she'd loved it; the ability to beat up someone who tried to hurt her was a greater benefit than some silly cram class was what he said after her mother had objected worried for her grades. A smile formed at the memory, they where her rock and she missed them dearly.

A jolt in the road brought her back to reality, she looked at her maps noting she was nearing Sunnyvale court. She had visited a girl there once, Marie. She was sweet to her and wanted to introduce her sister Sang but she was out. Imani hopped she would be there, but disappointment seeped into her when she saw no sign of life from the grey building, no lights and the front door was off its hinges. There was no way a person would be inside especially not Marie. In the months that they had talked for at school and during their walks together they'd formulated a plan, Imani was going to get her and Sang out of the house and if things went wrong, they'd meet at a park near the airport.

If Marie and Sang where still alive they'd be there, Imani was sure of it but first she had to make it there. With the amount of gas left in the jeep shed make it about half of the way there unless she could fill it up, even then it'd still take a good week. They'd chosen an airport further away to throw of suspicion and lead anyone who looked for them on a goose chase.

Pulling the jeep of the road and onto a gravelly path Imani winced at the noise, she already ran over multiple zombies on the way her and the blood on the car cause others to ignore it but making noise still worried her, it seemed too easy so far. Easy was not in her repertoire, she worked hard to get her job and her apartment. She worked hard to look after herself and live a life she was happy with, well she tried too at least. A puff of air passed her lips as she pulled up next to the small waterfall and lake Marie and her discovered on a walk.

Opening the door, she pulled out her suitcase and laid it on the ground before opening the boot. She pushed the middle seats down and moved the boxes of food she'd acquired to rest against the very edge of the front seats. Picking up the mattress box she tipped out the contents into the suitcase in a jumbled mess. She threw the mattress into the boot happy when it fit perfectly even with the boxes up top of it. After reading the instructions and letting the mattress blow up, she put a blanket as a pillow and threw the other two to use to cover herself.

After sorting her first aid items and putting the jars of food into the boxes she pulled on her bright orange swimsuit and walked into the lake, the water surrounding her as she closed her eyes, openingthem and looking up at the sky watching the stars twinkle calmed her heart butnot her mind.

"I'm scared momma, papa. So scared"

┈┈┈┈․° ☣ °․┈┈┈┈